Sign in to follow this  
Radio Shack Killa

Pulling back the curtain a bit....

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

As a regular of the "God Help Us" thread, I think that many times there is political discussion that is as it should be.  I really enjoy having discussions (not shit-throwing contests) with people about their worldviews.  Even when I am diametrically opposed to another opinion, when the conversation is non-personal, I really do try to at least understand why and how the other person feels that way, even though it may frustrate me immensely that they do. 

But everyone has their hot buttons.  Some have more hot buttons than others and some are more sensitive to their hot buttons than others.  crunch gleefully likes to push those buttons.  And while pushing those buttons, he often does it not in some sort of noble Socratic attempt to make the other person look deeper at their own views, instead he does it to piss people off.  Recently he pushed some buttons with some individuals that really pissed some people off.

I acknowledge I've pushed buttons of my own, sometimes even to piss people off, if I'm feeling churlish.  I think everybody other than NeFrog in the KitchenSink (whose superpower is moderation) will admit to doing it occasionally if they are honest with themselves.  But I really do try to repress that impulse most of the time.

Crunch never tries to repress the impulse. And rather than offer contrition, he usually doubles down.  Some people had enough.

I should make a snarky, personal insult comment, just to squash this sentiment...

Thanks for the compliment, though. I think your posts are usually diplomatic too (although there are probably personal digs hidden in paragraph 11 or 12 I might miss ;))

I like the thread... a lot actually.  I like the back and forth discussions with different viewpoints.  If I thought someone was making pushing buttons I would either play the "hey, are you're trying to push my button?" card or the attempted humor card. Emphasis on attempted. Did that with crunch a few times, and he always backed down once you let him know you weren't affected by his banter one way or the other.  I usually took the tactic of "we're all Frog fans here".

19 hours ago, Jaded Asshole said:

For the record, I didn’t go after the board.  That’s some Scott level BS there.  

I also didn’t leave over politics.  I have no problem with politics.  

I have a problem with personal attacks as a rebuttal to an opinion that is different from the one held. I’m also opposed to keeping people around that violate the rules repeatedly, just because they know nothing will happen.  

Delete this account and the content associated with it.

What was your screen name before it got changed?  I feel as though I am missing so much of the story here.

Personally, I always assumed that the "Big Green Egg / BBQ" thread would be the first to descend into savagery.  Republicans and Democrats I can live with. 

People who use anything other than hickory to smoke their brisket should die horribly.

1 minute ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Personally, I always assumed that the "Big Green Egg / BBQ" thread would be the first to descend into savagery.  Republicans and Democrats I can live with. 

People who use anything other than hickory to smoke their brisket should die horribly.

I'm more of a post oak guy myself.

10 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Haha. I actually prefer mesquite too. My buddy swears by post oak. But it’s too mild for me 

Agreed. I usually do either straight mesquite coals or a mix of mesquite and hickory or oak when I do mine. (Solely depending on what side of the bed I woke up on that day; there is no reasoning to it, just a last minute coin toss type of decision.)

You guys are a buncha damn COMMUNISTS!

Go back to your radicchio and endive crowd and sip cabernet (pronounced cab-er-NET) sauvignon (pronounced "die, you commie bastards") with your mesquite and post oak new age brisket while you listen to frikkin' ENYA!

hickory.jpg

23 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

You guys are a buncha damn COMMUNISTS!

Go back to your radicchio and endive crowd and sip cabernet (pronounced cab-er-NET) sauvignon (pronounced "die, you commie bastards") with your mesquite and post oak new age brisket while you listen to frikkin' ENYA!

hickory.jpg

Considering the Mexicans were using mesquite to slow cook meats in the area between the Rio Grande and Red Rivers long before our European ancestors even thought about migrating here, hickory is the newfangled hipster BBQ wood.

And it is about TEXAS, not the United States, you Yankee.

Spoiler

26347m.jpg

(Hopefully this helps to create enough incivility for the topic of BBQ to ease your mind and lessen the disappointment. :lol:)

2 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Considering the Mexicans were using mesquite to slow cook meats in the area between the Rio Grande and Red Rivers long before our European ancestors even thought about migrating here, hickory is the newfangled hipster BBQ wood.

Shoulda built the wall a long time ago.

21 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

And it is about TEXAS, not the United States, you Yankee.

Hide contents

26347m.jpg

(Hopefully this helps to create enough incivility for the topic of BBQ to ease your mind and lessen the disappointment. :lol:)

Mesquite and pecan mix is 👌🏻

So I want to apologize to everyone here because I know I'm at the center of some of this.  I enjoy political debate, especially as it relates to policy development.  That's been a huge chunk of my professional life.  So I like reading political threads.  

But some policy has gotten extremely personal for me over the last several years, as many of you know.  And I have a lot of anger right now that I'm trying to deal with. So when folks were less than diplomatic in their replies to me, I didn't take the high road as I should have.  I apologize for that.

I don't want anyone banned because of an interaction with me.  I'm taking some time away from the board (especially the political stuff) because it pains me to think I contributed in any way to unrest here.   I'll be back, and focus on TCU sports, as we all should here.  I'm sorry I reacted negatively to some replies, I'm just struggling with my emotions right now.  Not an excuse, but just what it is.

Anyway, I hope that we can put this behind us.  But also, I hope we can focus on just being kind to each other.  Life so damn short and so not fair.  I have so many friends with different political, religious, and every other kind of views than mine.  But we all love each other and they were there for me during my darkest days.  In ways I can't even begin to explain.  Perhaps we need to just step away from politics and just remember to be kind to others, regardless of what they believe or whether their views are consistent with ours.  

17 hours ago, gofrogs152 said:

I don't want anyone banned because of an interaction with me.  I'm taking some time away from the board (especially the political stuff) because it pains me to think I contributed in any way to unrest here.   I'll be back, and focus on TCU sports, as we all should here.  I'm sorry I reacted negatively to some replies, I'm just struggling with my emotions right now.  Not an excuse, but just what it is.

This course of action has not been because of interaction with any one person, 152, so relieve yourself of that thought, please! It's been building a long, long time, as some of us mentioned in our responses. 

Thanks for the reminder about kindness. We need so much more of it here and everywhere these days. :wub: