Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

Too early to start a 2018 TCU Football thread?

Gary just wrapped up his Big12 Media Days appearance.  He said that bringing Robinson didn't necessarily imply that he was the starter but then he praised him for starting and winning against Tech and for playing in 6 games, so my view is that he's the starter.  He talked about having to play OU twice last season and said there were pluses (a chance for a title) and minuses (possibly costing us a NY6 game).  He talked about recruiting and developing players to fit TCU and make players into successful people.  And there was a lot of coachspeak as well.  The LHN guy (Ahmad Brooks) really trashed us and predicted that our OL youth were going to cause us to "take a big step back."  Galindo was a little more positive.  I don't particularly like the LHN doing the coverage instead of the regular ESPN guys - it's WAY too UT-focused for my tastes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Big12 Media Days preseason poll ranked the teams in terms of a predicted season finish as follows:

Oklahoma

West Virginia

TCU

Texas

Oklahoma State

KState

Iowa State

Tech

Baylor

Kansas

Personally, I don't think OU is going to repeat but I really don't know who I'd predict to take their place.  Based on last year's surprise team, it'd be Iowa State, but who really believes that the Clones will suddenly jump up to a championship level?  The fashionable pick appears to be the Eers and the LHN guys are going all in on predicting an OU-UT championship game.  The Cowboys lost more on offense than we did, but both of us are unknowns.  KState?  I see the coaching but not the talent.  I think this season is as wide open as any in our short Big12 tenure.  Thoughts?

11 hours ago, Jared said:

The Big12 Media Days preseason poll ranked the teams in terms of a predicted season finish as follows:

Oklahoma

West Virginia

TCU

Texas

Oklahoma State

KState

Iowa State

Tech

Baylor

Kansas

Personally, I don't think OU is going to repeat but I really don't know who I'd predict to take their place.  Based on last year's surprise team, it'd be Iowa State, but who really believes that the Clones will suddenly jump up to a championship level?  The fashionable pick appears to be the Eers and the LHN guys are going all in on predicting an OU-UT championship game.  The Cowboys lost more on offense than we did, but both of us are unknowns.  KState?  I see the coaching but not the talent.  I think this season is as wide open as any in our short Big12 tenure.  Thoughts?

Oklahoma still has a ton of talent and I think they have to be the odds-on favorite. As to who they play in the championship game, West Virginia is a good choice if their quarterback stays healthy. No other team depends so much on one guy, if he is hurt they could fall a long way. TCU looks like the next best team, then there are four teams all bunched in the middle. Texas is always great in preseason, but they have to win some games before I believe in them.

Davey Day?  I wonder what exactly they're teasing here?  Could it be throwback unis with tan pants and a leather helmet look?  That would be so freaking cool . . .

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Could it be throwback unis with tan pants and a leather helmet look?  That would be so freaking cool . . .

Ohhhhh, baby. 

daveyobrien38.jpg

9 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Ohhhhh, baby. 

daveyobrien38.jpg

obrien.jpg

3cc57061cac01398adb5899adbb382e3-m.jpg

According to the SWC helmet project, TCU wore black helmets from 1930 to 1945 similar to the ones in the bottom link and the pics above.  Black, Purple and Tan would be awesome.  The only thing that would make it better is if we could wear it against SMU in a home game instead of Southern.

http://swchelmets.tripod.com/tcu.html

http://www.pasttimesports.biz/products/f79.html

2 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

The only thing that would make it better is if we could wear it against SMU in a home game instead of Southern.

We should wear them against all the SWC schools except maybe Tech because Texas wasn't in the SWC in those days 

50 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Davey Day?  I wonder what exactly they're teasing here?  Could it be throwback unis with tan pants and a leather helmet look?  That would be so freaking cool . . .

Fans must wear appropriate attire for the era as well...

• Upvote (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

Fans must wear appropriate attire for the era as well...

... and hopefully that'll be as far as we take the theme ... 😐

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072318aab.html

July 23, 2018

FORT WORTH, Texas -- To commemorate the 80th anniversary of quarterback Davey O'Brien winning the Heisman Trophy and the Horned Frogs capturing the 1938 national championship, TCU will celebrate Davey Day at its Sept. 1 season opener versus Southern. Kickoff is at 11 a.m. in Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The TCU football team will wear a sticker on its helmet honoring O'Brien, in addition to a field marking for him. Davey O'Brien Jr., his son, will be TCU's honorary captain. Replica O'Brien No. 8 jerseys and t-shirts will be sold. During its pregame show, the TCU band will form a No. 8 on the field. At the Amon G. Carter Stadium concession stands, Ben's Pretzels will produce a No. 8-shaped pretzel for sale.

O'Brien's Heisman Trophy and the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award trophy will be on display for pregame photo opportunities in Frog Alley, before moving to the stadium concourse during the game. Video tributes to O'Brien will be played throughout the day, while the game program will feature O'Brien on the cover.

On game day, a floral arrangement will be placed at O'Brien's statue in front of the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena.

8 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072318aab.html

July 23, 2018

FORT WORTH, Texas -- To commemorate the 80th anniversary of quarterback Davey O'Brien winning the Heisman Trophy and the Horned Frogs capturing the 1938 national championship, TCU will celebrate Davey Day at its Sept. 1 season opener versus Southern. Kickoff is at 11 a.m. in Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The TCU football team will wear a sticker on its helmet honoring O'Brien, in addition to a field marking for him. Davey O'Brien Jr., his son, will be TCU's honorary captain. Replica O'Brien No. 8 jerseys and t-shirts will be sold. During its pregame show, the TCU band will form a No. 8 on the field. At the Amon G. Carter Stadium concession stands, Ben's Pretzels will produce a No. 8-shaped pretzel for sale.

O'Brien's Heisman Trophy and the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award trophy will be on display for pregame photo opportunities in Frog Alley, before moving to the stadium concourse during the game. Video tributes to O'Brien will be played throughout the day, while the game program will feature O'Brien on the cover.

On game day, a floral arrangement will be placed at O'Brien's statue in front of the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena.

Small thinking on the part of Donati.  Shoulda gone big with the whole theme.  I would be willing to wear a suit and a fedora for the game if they let me sit on the lower west side.

You could not pay me enough to wear a suit to a football game.  Day game.  In texas.  On Sept 1.

37 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Replica O'Brien No. 8 jerseys and t-shirts will be sold.

I wonder how authentic they'll be. No name on the back? 

1 hour ago, angelosfrog said:

obrien.jpg

3cc57061cac01398adb5899adbb382e3-m.jpg

According to the SWC helmet project, TCU wore black helmets from 1930 to 1945 similar to the ones in the bottom link and the pics above.  Black, Purple and Tan would be awesome.  The only thing that would make it better is if we could wear it against SMU in a home game instead of Southern.

http://swchelmets.tripod.com/tcu.html

http://www.pasttimesports.biz/products/f79.html

I'm sure you meant anthracite ... BLACK IS NOT A SCHOOL COLOR!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I'm sure you meant anthracite ... BLACK IS NOT A SCHOOL COLOR!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!

And neither is tan....

• Upvote (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

BLACK IS NOT A SCHOOL COLOR!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!

PURPLE AND WHITE, DAMMIT!

• Upvote (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

PURPLE AND WHITE, DAMMIT!

Like this

fe2ceb90687ef27fb697f276ab4f6656.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

We were on the wrong end of too many ass kickings wearing that helmet. I don't mind if we never wear it again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Davey Day is a great idea. Might get a couple more fans to come out for a morning kickoff against an FCS team.

Now, could we have a Bob Lilly Day while the great man is still alive?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Burner said:

Now, could we have a Bob Lilly Day while the great man is still alive?

YES!!!

18 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

We were on the wrong end of too many ass kickings wearing that helmet. I don't mind if we never wear it again.

Just imagine our guys kicking ass while wearing those ... 

• Upvote (+1) 1