Sign in to follow this  
SuperToad

2019 Football Recruiting Thread, Sponsored by Pappadeaux Waco (COMING SOON!)

18 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Sounds like he could play WR, CB, or even Safety if he gained 25lbs

Yeah, it seems like everyone has a different opinion on what position he's best fit to play in college.  

Also sounds like 247's Baylor moderator is telling his audience that he's confident Powell will sign with the Bears.  They really need him after losing out on ex-TCU commit Kennedy Lewis (who committed to Texas), and we really need him as it sounds like Taumazia Brown will double-sign with a JUCO.  Feels kind of like Andrew Billings' high-drama recruitment, which Jeremy Clark was confident would end up with a TCU commit but ended with a suprising, on-air commitment to Baylor.

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Feels kind of like Andrew Billings' high-drama recruitment, which Jeremy Clark was confident would end up with a TCU commit but ended with a suprising, on-air commitment to Baylor.

I still remember that. Poor kid sounded miserable when he announced Baylor. I'm not sure if it's JC who said this, but Billings had supposedly told the coaches the night before that he chose TCU, but his mom essentially forced him to pick Baylor the day of his announcement.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

A lot of shifting in the crystal ball predictions for Powell.  Frogs now in the lead, followed by Texas and then Baylor & OU...

It may be shifting back to Baylor.  They're selling him on playing QB when from everything I've heard from Midland/Odessa folks is that he's not a D1 QB.  He was good at Midland Christian because he was always by far the best athlete on the field but he only played QB for y 1 year at Permian in a run heavy offense with good but not great results.  If he's dead set on playing QB, then losing him to Baylor isn't that great a loss in my opinion.  

9 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

It may be shifting back to Baylor.  They're selling him on playing QB when from everything I've heard from Midland/Odessa folks is that he's not a D1 QB.  He was good at Midland Christian because he was always by far the best athlete on the field but he only played QB for y 1 year at Permian in a run heavy offense with good but not great results.  If he's dead set on playing QB, then losing him to Baylor isn't that great a loss in my opinion.  

I'm not too sore about losing out on him. He has a very Baker Mayfield "look at me/Me over team" type attitude. Only reason I hate it is because it's to Baylor. No one should waste 4-5 years of their life in Waco.

4 hours ago, SuperToad said:

I'm not too sore about losing out on him. He has a very Baker Mayfield "look at me/Me over team" type attitude. Only reason I hate it is because it's to Baylor. No one should waste 4-5 years of their life in Waco.

Guess he will learn that the hard way

1 hour ago, SuperToad said:

Forgot to add that we were recruiting him as a skill position guy, not a QB. Baylor will give him a "chance" to play that position.

I hate Baylor. How is their recruiting class?

I'll NEVER understand why a kid would choose Baylor over TCU as far as football (or anything for that matter) goes... I mean, we lose a kid to UT, OU, an SEC school, or maybe even Tech. I get it. but Baylor? Inferior campus, city, coaching, facilities, uniforms, women, academics, history. My mind just doesn't comprehend.

10 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

What does that mean, "My OG?" And, how in the name of Football Jesus can any relative of that man, who's even thinking of playing football in college, consider anywhere else but TCU if it's an option?!

Well. OG means "Original Gangster". It's a term meaning like the first to do something. Or maybe the first to do something great.

I guess he's saying that LT is his OG. Because he was the first Tomlinson to be great at football, but maybe he is next.

17 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

One guy to keep an eye on . . .

LT's nephew who plays safety for Waco Midway.  He's verbally committed to Baylor but didn't sign today.  I would say there's decent chance he will be a Frog. 

Any kin of LT should be wearing purple...

If I convinced my choir singing sister to TCU. LT can convince his nephew 

12 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

What does that mean, "My OG?" And, how in the name of Football Jesus can any relative of that man, who's even thinking of playing football in college, consider anywhere else but TCU if it's an option?!

He doesn't have a TCU offer yet.  He may get one but it's not a certainty. 

So, among those not signed yet, as far as I can tell:

OL Dawand Jones

DL Lloyd Murray

DL Alonzo Hall

DL Steven Parker

LB Eugene Asante

LB Tuia Tupuola

DB Jalen Catalon

No sure we are in the running for any of those, but at least the door has not yet closed.

Gil LeBreton speculating (with good backup arguments) that CGP is going after Jalen Hurts as grad transfer QB for next season. Has it down to us (favored) and Oklahoma for the two teams the kid would most likely choose to play for since his parents live in Channelview and we'd be a close-ish drive for them to watch him play; UT already has a QB; and, he probably wouldn't want to sign with an SEC team and go up against his old coach. GP mentioned maybe looking for a grad transfer after the bowls were over and was a little cagey when asked, jokingly, about Hurts, which got Gil to pondering the possibility in the first place.

Also, GP said a lot of the kids in this class come from "real good families" and that was important to him, "the type of person and the families."  Perhaps he had in mind Shawn Robinson's situation when he mentioned that.

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/why-not-hurts-to-round-out-tcus-2019-class/

Signing Day Part II is six weeks away.  New offer out:

Michael Lockhart, a 6'5" 250lb DE from Birmingham, AL

Michael was previously committed to UAB, but recently opened up his process.  He's unranked by 247, but in addition to TCU he's also added offers from Nebraska, Iowa, North Carolina, Colorado and Mississippi State.  He's got a visit to Starkville scheduled for late January.

According to a Nebraska recruiting site, LB Dylan Jordan from Pittsburg, Kansas, will visit either TCU or Utah on Jan. 11, then Kansas on Jan 18 and Nebraska on Jan. 25. Late bloomer because of grades, but picked up a lot of offers after early signing day.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Jordan-46077088/

On 12/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, Burner said:

According to a Nebraska recruiting site, LB Dylan Jordan from Pittsburg, Kansas, will visit either TCU or Utah on Jan. 11, then Kansas on Jan 18 and Nebraska on Jan. 25.

Jordan's visit schedule has changed a bit.  He'll now be visiting Utah on the 11th, TCU on the 18th and Nebraska on the 25th.

From the Tampa Bay Times:

Seither in demand

Clearwater Central Catholic's Brett Seither, one of the top remaining tight ends in the country, has narrowed his list of schools to Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State and Texas Christian. Though that was before receiving offers from Alabama and Penn State on Friday.

All of the schools are recruiting Seither as a tight end.

The three-star recruit is the No. 43 tight end in the country, according to 247Sports' composite list.

Seither has already visited Michigan State and TCU. He is still setting up more visits.

A decision will not be made until signing day in February.