Sign in to follow this  
Luke Chisolm

College Basketball Scandal

Per ESPN crawl (watching MACtion last night), Auburn had an assistant coach fired over this mess, and an AU source was telling ESPN that Coach Bruce Pearle was not cooperating with an internal university investigation.  Supposedly AU told Coach Pearle that his job was in jeopardy by his refusing to cooperate.

What did AU expect when they hired Bruce Pearle?  A stickler for the rules?

Louisville just lost their NCAA championship and Final 4 appearance and have to forfeit 100+ games.  Anyone think we should invite them to the Big12??

44 minutes ago, Jared said:

Louisville just lost their NCAA championship and Final 4 appearance and have to forfeit 100+ games.  Anyone think we should invite them to the Big12??

Sounds more like SEC material. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

If they joined the B12 they'd become a lot more honest.

COMPASSION_08-25-2015_UID_STATE_1_1_4564

• Upvote (+1) 3

On 10/13/2017 at 10:19 PM, AlohaFrog said:

Boise State had heavy sanctions because students let football players sleep on their couches and shared their delivered pizza.  The NCAA is a pathetic joke.

Don't forget the snickers bar!!!! He didn't pay for the snickers bar!  HIGH Crime! 

• Haha  (+1) 3

It’s always been known that college basketball was fairly dirty. But yeah. It’s bad. 

My one question is. Why the hell is the FBI wire tapping phones of college basketball players?

On 2/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, DirtyThirdFrog said:

It’s always been known that college basketball was fairly dirty. But yeah. It’s bad. 

My one question is. Why the hell is the FBI wire tapping phones of college basketball players?

Wildazz guess:

Snooping around in the doings of gamblers, agents, street agents, or whoever, who are (relatively) high-dollar operators looking for tax fraud, money laundering, gambling related crimes, or some such, they might  be interested in looking at the players the gamblers, etc., are buying or paying to fix games.

Even if the college players are hiding undisclosed income from the tax man, I wouldn't think (but I don't really know) their numbers would be big enough to attract FBI/US Attorney interest.  The older folks with whom those players might be dealing might be playing with numbers big enough to attract the Feds' notice, and the players could be small fish in an operation aimed at bigger ones.

How's that for conditional speculation?

• Upvote (+1) 3

The U.S. Department of Justice hit Adidas executive Jim Gatto with more charges Tuesday, alleging he conspired to pay three more high school basketball stars to attend Adidas-affiliated colleges.

The Oregon resident engineered a $40,000 payment to the father of a former North Carolina State University player and conspired to pay another $90,000 to a the mother of a former Kansas Jayhawks star, federal prosecutors allege in the expanded indictment filed Tuesday in New York. Gatto also allegedly conspired to pay $20,000 to the guardian of a third player in return for agreeing to attend Kansas.

The superseding indictment does not identify the players. But based on information contained in the court filing, the North Carolina State player appears to be Dennis Smith Jr., now a rookie point guard for the Dallas Mavericks.

It's not immediately clear who the Kansas players are, though some media outlets suggest one is Silvio De Sousa, who committed to Kansas last August.  

According to the indictment, Adidas' plan to pay De Sousa's guardian was complicated by the fact that another party had already paid him to attend another school. The player evidently returned the money, clearing the way for Adidas to pay his guardian.

De Sousa played for an Under Armour grassroots team and had been considering the University of Maryland, an Under Armour school, when he made the surprise decision to attend Kansas instead.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2018/04/adidas_jim_gatto_faces_more_ch.html

43 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

According to the indictment, Adidas' plan to pay De Sousa's guardian was complicated by the fact that another party had already paid him to attend another school. The player evidently returned the money, clearing the way for Adidas to pay his guardian.

Gotta get your graft in early!!!! :lol:

6 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

Gotta get your graft in early!!!! :lol:

I thought that was pretty funny.

I talked to my dog client a couple of weeks ago (he named his dog after Wayne Rooney... they're an English family) who used to work real high up for Adidas (pronounced correctly it's AHHDD-dee-dhas all run together, according to him) and he knows Gatto. Says he thinks this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the illegal stuff went. My guy works for Under Armor now, luckily. 

15 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I thought that was pretty funny.

I talked to my dog client a couple of weeks ago (he named his dog after Wayne Rooney... they're an English family) who used to work real high up for Adidas (pronounced correctly it's AHHDD-dee-dhas all run together, according to him) and he knows Gatto. Says he thinks this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the illegal stuff went. My guy works for Under Armor now, luckily. 

What kind of dog?

All I want to see is Duke taken down in this scandal. That's it. 

54 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

What kind of dog?

All I want to see is Duke taken down in this scandal. That's it. 

Goldendoodle. He's an idiot. He'll stand in the rain and won't come in until I say, "Rooney, I've got marshmellows!" Sometimes when I call him in from outside, he'll come to the door and stop. I'll say, "Rooney, come inside" and he'll look at me for a long beat, then turn his head to either side and look over his shoulder like he's looking at who else I might be talking to, then look back at me like, "Are you talking to me? You want me to come inside?" He's the dumbest dog on the planet, but I've loved him for 9 years, so I can work with it.

Can't help you with Duke. I don't care for anybody with that name.

12 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Goldendoodle. He's an idiot. He'll stand in the rain and won't come in until I say, "Rooney, I've got marshmellows!" Sometimes when I call him in from outside, he'll come to the door and stop. I'll say, "Rooney, come inside" and he'll look at me for a long beat, then turn his head to either side and look over his shoulder like he's looking at who else I might be talking to, then look back at me like, "Are you talking to me? You want me to come inside?" He's the dumbest dog on the planet, but I've loved him for 9 years, so I can work with it.

Aptly named, then 

• Haha  (+1) 1

It was a rocky way to start a long-term relationship.

Just hours after the University of Washington announced on Wednesday an enormous, $120 million sponsorship deal with Adidas, school officials learned that federal prosecutors were filing additional criminal charges against an Adidas executive and a former company consultant in the mushrooming pay-to-play college basketball scandal.

But Washington never wavered. The Seattle university's board of trustees gave final approval to the Adidas partnership on Thursday.

Turns out, Adidas gave Washington 20 million reasons to look beyond the scandal. Over the deal's 10-year life, Adidas' bid topped Nike's by $20 million, said Jennifer Cohen, Washington's director of athletics, on a Thursday conference call.

As the incumbent, Oregon-based Nike had the right to counteroffer and match or beat Adidas' number. Nike chose not to do so, Cohen said. There were no other bidders.

It was the seventh biggest university sponsorship ever by a footwear and apparel company and illustrates the rapid inflation of these deals. Nike has been paying about $3.5 million annually in product and cash over the past decade, barely a third of what Adidas will contribute.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2018/04/adidas_offer_for_uw_apparel_de.html

College coaches must disclose outside athletic income, NCAA says in reversal

By Brad Schmidt  bschmidt@oregonian.com    The Oregonian/OregonLive

The NCAA approved a new rule Wednesday that decodes the financial influence of shoe companies in collegiate sports, eliminating a glaring shortcoming in disclosure requirements highlighted this spring by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

That change, coupled with other new rules about recruiting and player eligibility, marks the NCAA's first actions in the wake of last year's federal investigation alleging bribery and corruption in college basketball. At least eight people have been indicted, including coaches, sports agents and two representatives of Portland-based Adidas North America.

The NCAA touted its actions as swift and necessary, stating that the changes will improve investigations, increase penalties and provide more flexibility for top college athletes evaluating whether to declare for the NBA.

"Today was obviously a very important day for the NCAA and especially for men's basketball," Mark Emmert, president of the NCAA, said Wednesday during a conference call with reporters.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2018/08/college_coaches_must_disclose.html

Sources: NCAA's new proposed rules blindside execs from NBA, USA Basketball

Adrian Wojnarowski    ESPN     August 9, 2018  6:29AM PT

Top officials with the NBA and USA Basketball were blindsided by the timing of and changes in the NCAA's announcement of future rules regarding pro basketball prospects, sources told ESPN.

The NCAA launched a commission and set of subcommittees to address the fallout from the FBI investigation into the college basketball industry, resulting in several policy shifts, including the assigning of responsibility to USA Basketball for something the organization had already told the NCAA it wanted no part: bearing responsibility for selecting elite senior high school prospects who will be allowed to sign with registered agents.

USA Basketball doesn't have the infrastructure or interest in accepting the role of evaluating the nation's top prospects for a yet-to-be-determined number of players who will annually be allowed to sign with agents at the end of their junior years, sources told ESPN.

USA Basketball prefers that the NBA make those decisions, sources said. The NBA already oversees the invitation process to the Chicago pre-draft combine and Portsmouth Invitational camps every spring. The NBA will be immersed in scouting the high school ranks once those players have an earlier target date of entering the draft, and if the NCAA wants to allow a select number of high school players the opportunity to sign with agents, the belief is that NBA front offices would be most informed to cull a list.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24324859/ncaa-new-proposed-rules-blindside-nba-usa-basketball-officials

They've finally gotten around to naming the Kansas players now and it was who was originally suspected.

Adidas consultant details payments to influence two Kansas players

Gassnola testified he gave $15,000 to "Larnelle," a family friend of Ayton, in 2015 to establish a relationship between Adidas and the Ayton family. Larnelle was expected to give the money to Ayton's mother, according to Gassnola. Ayton was a junior in high school at the time; he played in one grassroots event for Adidas and eventually attended Arizona, a Nike school, before signing with Puma upon being drafted.

During cross-examination, Gassnola testified that he felt as if he let Kansas head coach Bill Self down when Ayton chose Arizona over Kansas.

Gassnola testified he provided money to the guardian of Silvio De Sousa, who committed to Kansas in the summer of 2017 and will be a sophomore this season for the Jayhawks. According to Gassnola, Fenny Falmagne, De Sousa's legal guardian, asked Gassnola for $2,500 for De Sousa to take online classes or night classes.

Falmagne also told Gassnola he received $60,000 from a Maryland booster, but the booster wanted his money back because De Sousa chose Kansas over Maryland. Gassnola told the jury he offered $20,000 to Falmagne to help.

In a phone call dated Sept. 11, 2017, Gassnola told Gatto about the De Sousa payment.

"I gotta get this guy another 20 grand on Wednesday because I gotta get him out from under this Under Armour deal," Gassnola said on the wiretapped phone call, "and the deal he's got with this guy who was taking care of him. He wants his money back because the kid didn't go to Maryland."

Gassnola told the jury he never made the $20,000 payment to Falmagne because the FBI investigation became public in September 2017.

Gassnola testified that he paid $90,000 to Nicole Player, the mother of former five-star recruit Billy Preston, who signed to play at Kansas but was held out because of eligibility concerns regarding a car incident in the fall of 2017. On Thursday, it was revealed the car -- a Dodge Charger -- belonged to Preston's late grandmother.

According to Gassnola, he made several payments to Player totaling $90,000 over the course of one year.

The first, a payment of $50,000, was given to Player in New York City. The second, a payment of $20,000, was given to Player in Las Vegas at the SLS Hotel. The next two payments were via wire transfers, one for $20,000 from Gassnola's fiancée's account to Timicha Kirby, Player's partner; and one for $15,000 to Player.

The government produced bank statements showing all four payments.

Gassnola told the jury he planned to make a $4,000 payment to Player in the fall of 2017 but was unclear on whether he made the payment.

When Preston was held out of competition, Gassnola testified that Player asked Gassnola to tell Kansas' attorneys that he never gave her any money. Gassnola's lawyers sent a statement to Kansas' attorneys stating that nothing went on financially between Gassnola and Player -- a statement Gassnola told the jury Thursday was not true.

Gassnola told the jury he didn't want anybody to find out.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24960936/adidas-consultant-details-payments-influence-dennis-smith-jr-two-kansas-players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

👀

NEW YORK -- An attorney representing one of the three men accused of a pay-for-play scheme to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Adidas-sponsored schools alleged during closing arguments on Thursday that Kansas coach Bill Self was aware that an improper payment was made to at least one Jayhawks recruit.

Michael Schachter, an attorney for Adidas executive James Gatto, told the jury that Gatto approved a $20,000 payment to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa, only after Self and Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend requested the payment through former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola.

"The evidence, I submit, shows that Kansas' head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa's handler," Schachter told the jury. "More than that, Coach Self requested just the kind of help that Mr. Gassnola arranged as a condition for Coach Self to permit Adidas to continue their sponsorship agreement with the University of Kansas."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25018425/attorney-adidas-executive-says-20k-payment-only-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

Do we like Bill Self enough to trust that he's on the up-and-up? I haven't followed college bb long enough to really get a feel for him yet, so I'm reserving judgement. However, Kansas always seems to have a pretty good team, so they must be doing something to attract all that talent. Since the first trial ended yesterday in guilty verdicts for all the defendants, Self made this statement because of his name coming up during testimony (see my post just above):

"As the leader of the Kansas men's basketball program, I take pride in my role to operate with integrity and within the NCAA rules, which is a fundamental responsibility of being the head basketball coach," Self said. "The legal proceedings in New York have caused undue stress on our university and concern within our loyal fan base. Although my initial reaction is to be transparent and confront these matters head on publicly, I must, under NCAA rules and guidelines, refrain from any further comment until all the inquiries are officially concluded."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25076201/bill-self-kansas-jayhawks-coach-says-no-improper-benefits-used-recruiting

Jeff Long is S H O O K E T H ! And Bill Self decided not to keep his mouth shut like he said he was going to do.

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas athletic director Jeff Long grew emotional Saturday in his response to the NCAA's punishment of sophomore forward Silvio De Sousa, who was declared ineligible for this season and next because his guardian had received impermissible benefits.

During a brief news conference before the Kansas-Texas Tech game, Long said the school had provided the NCAA with all documents or information requested, and had held De Sousa out of competition in good faith all season.

"I have always respected the NCAA and trusted the process, but I must tell you that my faith has been shaken," Long said. "We stand behind our student-athletes when we believe they've been wronged."

At issue is not whether De Sousa's guardian, Fenny Falmagne, accepted a $2,500 payment from former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola to steer the prospect to Kansas. Rather, it's whether De Sousa, a native of Angola, had any knowledge of the pay-for-play scheme or benefited from it in any way.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25909441/kansas-ad-says-faith-ncaa-shaken-following-silvio-de-sousa-ruling

Silvio is from Angola and is therefore too naive to know what was going on?

Maybe.

The NCAA is still appalling whether Silvio is a pro or not.  

18 hours ago, froginaustin said:

Silvio is from Angola and is therefore too naive to know what was going on?

I just love the name of his handler/guardian, Fenny Falmagne. He sounds like a character from The Sopranos. lol

• Like (+1) 1