Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Oldie but goodie

According to my cable listings, The ESPN Classic channel will be showing the 2005 TCU-Oklahoma game at 7:30 Tuesday night.

• Like (+1) 2

That game was truly a classic!  Our first game in the MWC (we were picked 6th I think) coming off a 5-6 season with a dismal loss to Tulane to end that season and we shocked the college football world by beating the #5 Sooners in the opener.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was sitting in my wife's cousin's house in New Jersey with a 6-month old Li'l Duq in my lap, trying not to scream in his ear while I freaked out.  Now he's a pubescent 12-year old with a warbly voice ...

I was out shopping because ABC had the Pitt or Penn State game on here. When I got home, they switched over and I saw the last few minutes. 

IIRC, it was the first week opening school; I was so exhausted as was usually the case in my 41 years of teaching, that I went to sleep even before the game started and woke up in the last few minutes to see GP telling payers on the sidelines, "If we happen to win this, act like you've been there before." 

Thanks for the alert....

2 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I was in Chicago for a wedding. Sat at the bar while the rest of the fam shopped Michigan Ave. Ended up next to another TCU fan at ESPN Zone whose family was doing the same. Turned out to be Buddy Dike who is #38 in this photo:

cotton-bowl.jpg

The SI story with this pic is a masterpiece of writing....

• Upvote (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I was in Chicago for a wedding. Sat at the bar while the rest of the fam shopped Michigan Ave. Ended up next to another TCU fan at ESPN Zone whose family was doing the same. Turned out to be Buddy Dike who is #38 in this photo:

cotton-bowl.jpg

That. Is. Awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, crunch said:

That is a great story.  Anything else about it?

Nothing too exciting.  I remember this OU couple sitting at a table next to the bar.  The girl was hardly paying attention but the guy was going out of his mind with frustration. It was almost as fun to watch as the game.

It was my Freshman year. I had stupidly come home for Labor day because I still had my HS girl friend. That didn't last long. I did watch the entire game though. Probably the first time I was "proud" to be a frog. Pretty exciting shutting AP down. Even if he was hurt. 

Interesting that there were six players on the 2005 defense that are college coaches now: Jason Phillips, Zarnell Fitch and Jeremy Modkins at TCU, Eric Buchanan at Lamar, Drew Coleman at Blinn and Quincy Butler at Texas Wesleyan.

16 minutes ago, Burner said:

Interesting that there were six players on the 2005 defense that are college coaches now: Jason Phillips, Zarnell Fitch and Jeremy Modkins at TCU, Eric Buchanan at Lamar, Drew Coleman at Blinn and Quincy Butler at Texas Wesleyan.

Drew and Quincy both had decent NFL careers too. 

23 hours ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

cotton-bowl.jpg

Very cool. I believe his son runs an art gallery in Dallas. My dad knew his son well. 

I DVR'd it and watched part of the replay - which was only 2 hours and cut out a LOT of the game.  Drew Coleman's key INT was important, Tye Gunn looked great along with Hobbs and Merrill and the defense played great; shutting down Adrian Peterson almost the whole game.  Oklahoma was ranked 7th (AP) and was coming off two consecutive BCS Championship game appearances.  Both Stoops and Patterson looked much younger. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jared said:

I DVR'd it and watched part of the replay - which was only 2 hours and cut out a LOT of the game.  Drew Coleman's key INT was important, Tye Gunn looked great along with Hobbs and Merrill and the defense played great; shutting down Adrian Peterson almost the whole game.  Oklahoma was ranked 7th (AP) and was coming off two consecutive BCS Championship game appearances.  Both Stoops and Patterson looked much younger. 

Lontanian Hobblinson 

Whatever happened to ... ? 

• Like (+1) 1