Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Plano Killings

5 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

In other gun news, I was able to put 5 shots out of 10 into a 2 cm bull (.8") at 200 meters with my Weatherby/Howa .243 today and the rest within an 8 cm circle. Shooting was done at a table over a sandbag.

Damned heartbeat. Need to learn to stop my heart so we don't get that vibration. The fliers are all in the same general place a bit to the right though spread out a bit more than the central group. Alternatively I could adjust the trigger pull down but I'd rather not do that.

Shooting is fun.  By the way, TCU has an excellent rifle team. 

Like NFF, I don't ever want to trivialize tragedy but I have a house full of guns and I have never pointed one at a human being and I hope I never have to.  I know that is true for me and I expect that is true for NFF.  Mostly I shoot targets.  A few times a year I get to have a hunting weekend.  Once a year I get to go to Lana'i and stay at a Four Seasons and go on a hunt.  I've taken more than a few delicious birds, pigs, and deer down.  My favorite are Axis deer.  I try to forget how cute they are while I eat them.  I don't much like shooting animals.  I just like hunting them and eating them.  And I like my guns.  I'm not dangerous.  I'm just me.  And I always feel a little bit of pain when I kill an animal.  I don't feel pain when I buy a steak but it hurts a little when I shoot my dinner.  Maybe if everybody had to kill to eat we would eat more vegetables.  I don't feel guilty for hunting but I do feel a little pain when an animal drops because of me.  My rational, intellectual side understands what I'm doing.  My emotional side hurts.  But I love my annual Lana'i Four Seasons venison dinner they prepare from my hunt.  And I only have two more guns on my wish list.  Then I'll have enough forever.  (.357 Magnum revolver and an over under 12 gauge.  Don't have them but want them.  Then I quit.) 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, crunch said:

Hmm.  I've never owned a gun.  I've shot my dads guns many times, just for fun.  My little brother asked for and received all of my stepdads guns.  I wasnt interested.  Both of my brothers have CCL's, and multiple guns. 

My dad has a white stock .22 ca rifle from the 40's, that was his as a boy.  I think it looks cool.  

I am thinking about buying a slim 9 mm and getting my CCL.  Maybe Christmas. 

Do it. 

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

My personal experience - if you are sure it is the trigger/breathing/heartbeat limiting your last shots on that string and not the barrel getting warmer causing a drift, you won't find a better trigger than a Jewell. T...

I can see the heartbeat jump in the scope. I am working at shooting between beats, but that is where the factory trigger pull comes in. Can't do it every time. Re. barreI warming, I typically wait 60 seconds between shots.

• Upvote (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, crunch said:

Hmm.  I've never owned a gun.  I've shot my dads guns many times, just for fun.  My little brother asked for and received all of my stepdads guns.  I wasnt interested.  Both of my brothers have CCL's, and multiple guns. 

My dad has a white stock .22 ca rifle from the 40's, that was his as a boy.  I think it looks cool.  

I am thinking about buying a slim 9 mm and getting my CCL.  Maybe Christmas. 

I took my LTC class at Cabelas by Alliance.  I thought the instructor was really good.

4 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I can see the heartbeat jump in the scope. I am working at shooting between beats, but that is where the factory trigger pull comes in. Can't do it every time. Re. barreI warming, I typically wait 60 seconds between shots.

60 seconds seems like a long time to me.  I'm impatient.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, tcudoc said:

Sounds like I need to be nicer to you...

As a kid I used to light white tipped striker matches with a .22 short at 15-20 feet. Couldn't do it every time, but could do it consistently.

5 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

As a kid I used to light white tipped striker matches with a .22 short at 15-20 feet. Couldn't do it every time, but could do it consistently.

7aa5c9b0-e74d-4d9d-91b8-8ed7cef1375e.gif

10 minutes ago, HFrog1999 said:

60 seconds seems like a long time to me.  I'm impatient.

giphy.gif

Yeah...your bff was out there today. Repeatedly was shooting 10 shot mags out of an AR-15-style gun in about 6 seconds. Even hit somewhere on the target at 100 meters a couple of times.

I swear it would be cheaper to buy strings of firecrackers for such people.  Ridiculous way to shoot a rifle in my personal opinion. A rifle is a precision shooting instrument and as noted has significant creep if allowed to heat up too much.

I do shoot my pistol at about 15-20 seconds per 10 shot clip. But my purpose there is to keep every shot of 50 inside a 8" bull at 25 meters. Can usually keep at least 45/50 of them inside. And I'm getting better. (Never shot pistols much until recently.)

3 minutes ago, crunch said:

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home.  They're not much bigger than 2 meters.  

Star_Wars_Kid.gif

2 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Yeah...your bff was out there today. Repeatedly was shooting 10 shot mags out of an AR-15-style gun in about 6 seconds. Even hit somewhere on the target at 100 meters a couple of times.

I swear it would be cheaper to buy strings of firecrackers for such people.  Ridiculous way to shoot a rifle in my personal opinion. A rifle is a precision shooting instrument and as noted has significant creep if allowed to heat up too much.

I do shoot my pistol at about 15-20 seconds per 10 shot clip. But my purpose there is to keep every shot inside a 8" bull at 25 meters. Can usually keep at least 45/50 of them inside.

I'm probably 30 seconds between shots with a rifle and 2 seconds with a pistol.

I don't like rapid fire either.  

Impatience is just a personal issue.

22 minutes ago, HFrog1999 said:

In the winter here 30 secs is OK-ish, but it was warm today. Plus, since I reload, I'm usually shooting 50 rounds minimum so that's a lot of heating. I'd shoot only one  box at a much faster rate.

1 hour ago, HFrog1999 said:

When testing groups on new loads, I typically take about 15-20 minutes between shots, with up to 10 shots per group (if everything is going okay; less if I have signs of overpressure or it is appearing to be inaccurate). That includes the action being open so that as much air can move through the barrel as possible and the temperature can creep back to as close to the initial recorded measurement . Rifle or handgun.

When I am having a good day of target shooting, I can put a cylinder of six .45 ACPs (hot loads - 230gr/7.0 grains of Unique - not for autos) onto a 6" steel gong at 100 yards in about 6-7 seconds. That is a byproduct of tens of thousands of rounds being fired, and the speed just comes naturally. I am slightly faster with .38/.357, roughly the same with .45 Colt and .44 Special, and slightly slower with .44 Mag (Elmer loads). The speed isn't something I concern myself with, the accuracy is, and whenever I am comfortable with the sight picture I pull the trigger.

Shotgun is as fast as I can dump a pair of shells in the barrels and fire when the birds are flying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

When testing groups on new loads, I typically take about 15-20 minutes between shots, with up to 10 shots per group (if everything is going okay; less if I have signs of overpressure or it is appearing to be inaccurate). That includes the action being open so that as much air can move through the barrel as possible and the temperature can creep back to as close to the initial recorded measurement . Rifle or handgun.

When I am having a good day of target shooting, I can put a cylinder of six .45 ACPs (hot loads - 230gr/7.0 grains of Unique - not for autos) onto a 6" steel gong at 100 yards in about 6-7 seconds. That is a byproduct of tens of thousands of rounds being fired, and the speed just comes naturally. I am slightly faster with .38/.357, roughly the same with .45 Colt and .44 Special, and slightly slower with .44 Mag (Elmer loads). The speed isn't something I concern myself with, the accuracy is, and whenever I am comfortable with the sight picture I pull the trigger.

Shotgun is as fast as I can dump a pair of shells in the barrels and fire when the birds are flying.

Your rifle timing is typical of what snipers use for sighting in/testing loads. Is there something we should know?--or perhaps should not know?! A max of 1.5 minute/shot is the Canadian standard in regular target competitions.

For everyday shooting I tend to load .5-1.0 grain back of max in order to maximize barrel life and brass life (I mostly neck size only) without sacrificing much accuracy, generally. That said, I have solid bolt actions (Weatherby/(Howa) sub MOA, Rem 700 SPS-Varmint, pre-'64 Win 70) none of which ever show overpressure signs at max.

Re.pistol, a 6' bull at 100 yards should translate easily from an 8" bull at 25 meters in theory. In practice, though, I doubt it.

59 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Your rifle timing is typical of what snipers use for sighting in/testing loads. Is there something we should know?--or perhaps should not know?! 1/minute is more usual in target competitions.

For everyday shooting I tend to load .5-1.0 grain back of max in order to maximize barrel life and brass life (I mostly neck size only) without sacrificing much accuracy, generally. That said, I have solid bolt actions (Weatherby/(Howa) sub MOA, Rem 700 SPS-Varmint, pre-'64 Win 70) none of which ever show overpressure signs at max.

Re.pistol, a 6' bull at 100 yards should translate easily from an 8" bull at 25 meters in theory. In practice, though, I doubt it.

That I use a laser thermometer aimed at 3 locations (at the action, at the front sight, and either on rollmarking or rear sight) on the barrel to establish a baseline temperature, and don't fire again until the temperature is close to the baseline? And keep the barrel, action and ammo out of sunlight while testing/cooling off. Otherwise, no, just an average Joe with no military background.

I typically don't push loads hot, except for the noted hunting/defense loads in .45 ACP (never had any signs of being overpressured, other than knowing that it is hotter than any loading book will list and I wouldn't run it in an automatic) and hunting loads in .44 Mag. (.357 I load warm with 158gr/12.0gr 2400, .45 Colt with a fairly sedate for the particular revolver at 250gr/15.0gr 2400 - I have a fondness for the dirty stuff!) For bolt action rifles, I have a couple of 70s (both pre-64s) and a Mauser, none of them ever posed any issue, and the over pressure comment was more of a notation for development and stating the fundamental safety rules of reloading. Only a couple of times have I had the issue and they have come in the same revolver and with the same batch of powder - S&W M29, and some Alliant 2400 from about 10 years ago was sticky on extraction. Immediately ceased shooting them, and went back and reloaded. After the second time, I immediately stopped, pulled the bullets, disposed of that can of powder, and haven't had an issue since.

I avoid most small caliber/light bullet/large case capacity combos, anyway. My velocity ceiling is around 2500fps, both for barrel and brass life, and more importantly for me. I can shoot large bores (.404 Jeffery-.500 NE) all day long and be fine, but a couple of shots of a .270 or a .30-06 with a sub-150 grain pill and my head is throbbing. I am a lightweight and can't take that sharp snap, but do okay with a big push.

I found the best training for handgun accuracy was stretching it out. And even farther than 100 yards. Lobbing them out to 250 yards (or more) like artillery may sound like a waste, but I found that when I was practicing that, even though I had more misses than I wanted (probably 60-70% hit rate), when I came back to 100 or less, I was shooting considerably more accurately because of the body mechanics involved requiring such greater precision. I target practice handguns at 100 yards because it keeps me honest with my hold, breathing and trigger pull and makes 50 yards or less a piece of cake.