Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Plano Killings

As most of you are DFW, you probably heard about this-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/plano-mass-shooting-details-revealed-about-gunman-spencer-hight/

I went to HS with Spencer. Played football with him (he was a senior when I was a sophmore). His dad was my freshman English teacher and his little sister graduated with me. Crazy all around. He was always a little odd, but a super nice guy. Actually went to his house a few times. So sad. 

That's such an awful tragedy. Alcohol can make people do terrible things. 

49 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

That's such an awful tragedy. Alcohol can make people do terrible things. 

Tragedy, yes.  That said, I've never found that alcohol makes me do anything I didn't really want to do.  Maybe others are different, but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Tragedy, yes.  That said, I've never found that alcohol makes me do anything I didn't really want to do.  Maybe others are different, but I doubt it.

I agree.  I don't think alcohol makes good people do bad things.  It's a convenient excuse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2033079/Acohol-doesnt-make-behave-badly-just-stops-caring-embarrassment-say-scientists.html

6 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/plano-mass-shooting-details-revealed-about-gunman-spencer-hight/

I went to HS with Spencer. Played football with him (he was a senior when I was a sophmore). His dad was my freshman English teacher and his little sister graduated with me. Crazy all around. He was always a little odd, but a super nice guy. Actually went to his house a few times. So sad. 

Sad and crazy.

Anytime any of my friends or acquaintances split up I worry about the worst.  I always tell my wife to be very careful when out with a friend who is going through a divorce or break up.

6 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

My father was an extremely violent alcoholic. I remember vividly many times him coming home from the bar and beating my mother bloody. He never touched my sister or me. Sober, he was a kind, loving, hard working man. Alcohol definitely made him do things he didn't want to do, based on the remorse and humiliation he expressed after the violence. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, crunch said:

I wish you would have shot him.  

Excuse me? Shoot my father? Are you serious?

Didn't mean to start a discussion about alcoholism and how it relates to violence. Just wanted to share my personal connection to the story. So many lives and families are now ruined because of Spencer. Its weird to think about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, crunch said:

Douchey haircut.  And is that an...earring?

Spencer Hight

Looks like it. Like I said, he was weird. But always a "nice" guy.

11 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Obviously those killed are the biggest victims, but I always also feel for the family members and friends of those who do these egregious acts.

34 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Obviously those killed are the biggest victims, but I always also feel for the family members and friends of those who do these egregious acts.

Yeah. Their lives are forever changed. His Sister posted on FB on Monday saying how mad/ sad/ confused she was.

As I may have stated on here before, I'm not a big gun guy.  We don't have any handguns in the house and pretty much the minimal number of hunting guns because that's really not my thing either.  However, I think any woman who is going through a difficult divorce with someone she thinks could have violent tendencies, needs to get handgun and learn how to use it.  An ex-husband just shot his ex-wife in front of their kid in the parking lot of the library on Hulen street this past Saturday.  At least that SOB had the decency to drive down the road and shoot himself out of the sight of his child.  I want to read about fewer incidents like these and more about some woman popping a cap in her ex-husband when he pulls out a gun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, angelosfrog said:

As I may have stated on here before, I'm not a big gun guy.  We don't have any handguns in the house and pretty much the minimal number of hunting guns because that's really not my thing either.  However, I think any woman who is going through a difficult divorce with someone she thinks could have violent tendencies, needs to get handgun and learn how to use it.  An ex-husband just shot his ex-wife in front of their kid in the parking lot of the library on Hulen street this past Saturday.  At least that SOB had the decency to drive down the road and shoot himself out of the sight of his child.  I want to read about fewer incidents like these and more about some woman popping a cap in her ex-husband when he pulls out a gun.

Yeah.  Restraining orders have too often proven to be useless.

There have been domestic incidents involving the neighbor of one of my relatives.  We were moving my relative out of her house and when I went over there my gun was definitely on my belt (under my shirt of course).   

Too bad the lady Ms. Hight and/or her friends were not in a position to protect themselves.  

In other gun news, I was able to put 5 shots out of 10 into a 2 cm bull (.8") at 200 meters with my Weatherby/Howa .243 today and the rest within an 8 cm circle. Shooting was done at a table over a sandbag.

Damned heartbeat. Need to learn to stop my heart so we don't get that vibration. The fliers are all in the same general place a bit to the right though spread out a bit more than the central group. Alternatively I could adjust the trigger pull down but I'd rather not do that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

In other gun news, I was able to put 5 shots out of 10 into a 2 cm bull (.8") at 200 meters with my Weatherby/Howa .243 today and the rest within a 8 cm circle.

Damned heartbeat. Need to learn to stop my heart so we don't get that vibration. The fliers are all in the same place though spread out a bit more than the central group a bit to the right.

I'm sitting in a Burleson Starbucks right now.  When I got here, 5 cop cars sped past me the other way.  There was a shooting just down the road.  Thankfully my wife is home.  The shooting happened about 20 yards from where she was recently getting her car washed.

In other gun news, I want a gun I can fit comfortably in my pocket.  I'm leaning towards the S&W Bodyguard.  My Bersa .380 is nice, but it's too big and heavy for a comfortable pocket holster.   

18 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Alternatively I could adjust the trigger pull down but I'd rather not do that.

What is it currently?

My PPK has a ridiculously tough DA pull.  My wife can't even fire it.  

22 minutes ago, HFrog1999 said:

I'm sitting in a Burleson Starbucks right now.  When I got here, 5 cop cars sped past me the other way.  There was a shooting just down the road.  Thankfully my wife is home.  The shooting happened about 20 yards from where she was recently getting her car washed.

In other gun news, I want a gun I can fit comfortably in my pocket.  I'm leaning towards the S&W Bodyguard.  My Bersa .380 is nice, but it's too big and heavy for a comfortable pocket holster.   

Bodyguards are sweet. If you're a glock guy try the new glock 43

Just now, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Bodyguards are sweet. If you're a glock guy try the new glock 43

My friend has the Glock 42.  I've shot it several times and like it.  However, I like external safeties.  

My friend's BIL is one of the top cops in Vegas.  He swears by 9 mm Glocks.  However, for personal protection I'm comfortable with .380.  I carry just to get myself out of any unavoidable bad situations.  My needs are different than that of a cop.  

21 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Alternatively I could adjust the trigger pull down but I'd rather not do that.

Check if Jewell Triggers (San Marcos, TX) offers a trigger for it. His patent is based off the geometry of an oleo strut on an airplane's landing gear. The design allows for an exceptionally light pull while being safe.

I know most of his work is for Remington (700, 40X, etc.) and focused towards benchrest shooters. I have used one afield on a stalking hog hunt, and had no worries about the trigger even with the fraction of an ounce pull (the rifle's action and stock design were a different story). If he made one for a Mauser 98 or pre-64 Winchester M70, I would be thrilled to no end.

17 minutes ago, HFrog1999 said:

My friend has the Glock 42.  I've shot it several times and like it.  However, I like external safeties.  

My friend's BIL is one of the top cops in Vegas.  He swears by 9 mm Glocks.  However, for personal protection I'm comfortable with .380.  I carry just to get myself out of any unavoidable bad situations.  My needs are different than that of a cop.  

How many unavoidable bad situations have you been in?

21 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

How many unavoidable bad situations have you been in?

Too many. I travel all over the place and have to work in some bad areas.

However, all it takes is one.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

In other gun news, I was able to put 5 shots out of 10 into a 2 cm bull (.8") at 200 meters with my Weatherby/Howa .243 today and the rest within an 8 cm circle. Shooting was done at a table over a sandbag.

Sounds like I need to be nicer to you...

4 hours ago, HFrog1999 said:

What is it currently?

My PPK has a ridiculously tough DA pull.  My wife can't even fire it.  

4 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Check if Jewell Triggers (San Marcos, TX) offers a trigger for it. His patent is based off the geometry of an oleo strut on an airplane's landing gear. The design allows for an exceptionally light pull while being safe.

I know most of his work is for Remington (700, 40X, etc.) and focused towards benchrest shooters. I have used one afield on a stalking hog hunt, and had no worries about the trigger even with the fraction of an ounce pull (the rifle's action and stock design were a different story). If he made one for a Mauser 98 or pre-64 Winchester M70, I would be thrilled to no end.

Factory settings. Trigger is adjustable.

5 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Factory settings. Trigger is adjustable.

The Jewell Trigger-

gunktrigger07.jpg

Article comparing to a Remington 700 factory trigger - http://www.beyondthecrosshair.com/2014/11/installing-a-jewell-trigger-on-a-remington-model-700/http://www.beyondthecrosshair.com/2014/11/installing-a-jewell-trigger-on-a-remington-model-700/

My personal experience - if you are sure it is the trigger/breathing/heartbeat limiting your last shots on that string and not the barrel getting warmer causing a drift, you won't find a better trigger than a Jewell. The question isn't the cost - it may initially seem like a hard pill to swallow - but whether or not you can actually get a trigger for your rifle if it is anything beyond a 700. Breaks like glass doesn't even get close to aptly describing it. No creep, no let up, just instant snap, and by design safe even with a 1-2 ounce of trigger pull (basically ignition as soon as your brain registers your finger touching it). (I tested knocking the stock around with both snap caps and loaded, to the point of worrying about splitting it, and nothing went off.) If I had kept that rifle and had a use for hunting with it, I would have gone to a stiffer spring that put the pull somewhere in the 6-8 ounce range.