Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Change at Killerfrogs

So to expand on my "KF.c poster-as-product" rant, I realize that the monetization of browsing histories is a massive and pretty much irreversible trend.  

Google, Facebook, and most "free" sites use cookies and sell browsing history to advertisers.  (Check out the "Adam Ruins Everything" episode entitled "Adam Ruins the Internet" for an informative discussion on this.)

So when I log on to the Shagg or other free sites with ads, I understand why I keep seeing ads for Honda 2000i generators, Yeti ice chests, Swedish penis-enlargement pumps, and other things I've been browsing recently.  I accept that loss of privacy without too much angst.

But if my personal browsing history is going to benefit someone monetarily, then in return, that beneficiary should at least provide me a pleasant experience when I'm on their site.  And that beneficiary had damned well better not take a high-handed, authoritarian tone toward me and treat me as if I am some kind of "subordinate."  IMHO, THAT is what Scott and Wes missed and THAT'S why I don't go there anymore.  

In other words, you can screw me, but you gotta at least buy me a nice dinner first.

But you know what?  KF.c is doing just fine without me, so maybe they didn't miss anything after all.  

Of course, I'm doing just fine without KF.c, too.  

2 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

So to expand on my "KF.c poster-as-product" rant, I realize that the monetization of browsing histories is a massive and pretty much irreversible trend.  

Google, Facebook, and most "free" sites use cookies and sell browsing history to advertisers.  (Check out the "Adam Ruins Everything" episode entitled "Adam Ruins the Internet" for an informative discussion on this.)

So when I log on to the Shagg or other free sites with ads, I understand why I keep seeing ads for Honda 2000i generators, Yeti ice chests, Swedish penis-enlargement pumps, and other things I've been browsing recently.  I accept that loss of privacy without too much angst.

But if my personal browsing history is going to benefit someone monetarily, then in return, that beneficiary should at least provide me a pleasant experience when I'm on their site.  And that beneficiary had damned well better not take a high-handed, authoritarian tone toward me and treat me as if I am some kind of "subordinate."  IMHO, THAT is what Scott and Wes missed and THAT'S why I don't go there anymore.  

In other words, you can screw me, but you gotta at least buy me a nice dinner first.

But you know what?  KF.c is doing just fine without me, so maybe they didn't miss anything after all.  

I can't recommend uBlock Origin enough for this reason and more (safety, security, speed).

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/214151-ad-blocking-for-the-masses-part-one-ublock-origin

2 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

I use duck duck go for searches... most of the time. Because they don't cookie or profile me it isn't always the most efficient search. If I am looking up the number for a local course called "Fairview", google will immediately give me the one here, while duck duck go might direct me to one in Pennsylvania.

2 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I use duck duck go for searches... most of the time. Because they don't cookie or profile me it isn't always the most efficient search. If I am looking up the number for a local course called "Fairview", google will immediately give me the one here, while duck duck go might direct me to one in Pennsylvania.

Are you on the dark web? 

28 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

Sorry..stay hard Kate Millett.

She tended to speak about how authoritarian patriarchy abused those they felt they owned/controlled as Newbomb was stating.Millet considered the owned/controlled in usually sexual ways, of course, but her thesis would extend perfectly to Newboomb's contentions of kfcers as products to exploit.

Added: Millett might be before your time. Her big book was based on her 1969 dissertation.

18 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Give startpage a look. I used to use duckduckgo but was unimpressed with the results alot of the time. Startpage anonymizes google searches for you, so the power of google but anonymously.

16 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

You can stop at reason No. 1. 

THAT is the reason I no longer go on to KF.c.  The Owner decided that controversy was good for his business and disregarded the fact that that particular controversy made the KF.c experience less enjoyable to his paying products.

Yes.  "...paying products."  I had the naïve notion that, as a paying member, I was one of KF.c's "customers."  Silly me.  Advertisers are KF.c's customers.  And since traffic drives ad dollars, the people that click on KF.c aren't customers, they're the product.  I was paying $99 / year to be a friggin' product for KF.c to sell.

Like I said, silly me...

It's all about the clicks.  That's why they let Topfrog bump everything off the first page each day to post a separate thread for 49 articles from random sites around the world, 97% of which no one will comment on.

I think it was gofrogs152 that put it perfectly in stating that there are a group of people over there that act like a bunch of junior high school kids that when one person starts in on someone then all of their buddies jump in on the bullying.  Anyway, Roddog's bit was funny for a little while but then it just got old and repetitive really quick and it was just to the point where you had to put him on ignore.  Feisty provides insight on recruiting targets and kids that are committed to the program and I think some of us, I know I have, have gone on drunken rants on the message boards and feel bad about it the next day.

Overall the Frog Horn is a great place for normal minded TCU fans without having to watch your language even when making a donation to this site.  Which was a real head scratcher on the other site.  Pay money and don't post any swear words?  Bullshit.

Edited by dannyfrog

48 minutes ago, dannyfrog said:

I think it was gofrogs152 that put it perfectly in stating that there are a group of people over there that act like a bunch of junior high school kids that when one person starts in on someone then all of their buddies jump in on the bullying.  Anyway, Roddog's bit was funny for a little while but then it just got old and repetitive really quick and it was just to the point where you had to put him on ignore.  Feisty provides insight on recruiting targets and kids that are committed to the program and I think some of us, I know I have, have gone on drunken rants on the message boards and feel bad about it the next day.

Overall the Frog Horn is a great place for normal minded TCU fans without having to watch your language even when making a donation to this site.  Which was a real head scratcher on the other site.  Pay money and don't post any swear words?  No thanks.

Shouldn't there be a swear word somewhere in this post?

4 hours ago, dannyfrog said:

Overall the Frog Horn is a great place for normal minded TCU fans without having to watch your language even when making a donation to this site. 

Say this part again. I'm confused. I don't think the Founders accept money here.

51 minutes ago, RicketyFrog said:

Ghostery

Now for both Firefox and Chrome.  Blocks all the crap.

Except that Ghostery makes its money by selling your browsing history and adblocking statistic to advertisers, and Nike, Unilever, Home Depot and Target are some of their biggest buyers. Or, pretty much the very companies that you are trying to run away from being force fed ads from.

Ublock Origin is about as good as it currently gets, but if you are serious about stopping all of it, then don't run Chrome at all (Google has embedded so much tracking in the Chrome builds; look at SRWare Iron if you must run a pure Chromium browser), remove the the Google NID (Google's own history tracking cookie that also shares the information with the NSA) cookie from Firefox/Waterfox/whatever, and run some form of cookie killer on top of Ublock.

Also, you need to get rid of LSO (Local Shared Objects) cookies (Flash).