Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Lanley II

TCU will host Rice's football team

TCU invites Rice football to use facilities during Houston flooding

Matt Jennings
Posted 3 hours ago

TCU football is helping out another in-state program in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

The Horned Frogs will share their facilities with the Rice football team this week.

“For us, it’s a no-brainer,” TCU coach Gary Patterson said. “We’ll work our schedule out where they can practice.”

The Horned Frogs also offered similar sanctuary to Houston, Patterson said. Instead, the Cougars chose to go relocate in Austin.

Patterson says he shares empathy for all of the Rice players and coaches. The Owls are coming off a 62-7 loss to Stanford Saturday night in Australia.

“It must have been a tough feeling playing in Australia knowing everything you own might be gone,” Patterson said. “Those kids are worrying about their families but also their (living surroundings) back home.”

The Owls weren’t in Houston when the storm made landfall. They are coming from Los Angeles as they return from their first game.

The Owls will land in at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport on Monday at approximately 2 p.m. CT, according to a release from the school.

View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

The Frogs have an indoor practice facility as well as outdoor practice fields. Owls head coach David Bailiff said Baylor, SMU and UTEP also offered to host his team this week.

Bailiff and TCU coach Gary Patterson are long-time friends. Bailiff joined Patterson’s staff during his second season in 2001 as the Horned Frogs’ assistant head coach and defensive line coach. He served as defensive coordinator in 2002-03 before getting his first shot as a college head  coach in 2004 at Texas State.

“David Bailiff worked here, but whether he did or didn’t, it wouldn’t matter,” Patterson said. “Whatever we can do to help Coach Bailiff.

Rice’s campus is closed through Tuesday, but it isn’t clear how soon the team will return to Houston. Harvey has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but Houston and the surrounding areas are still dealing with flooding and major property damage.

TCU hosts Jackson State in its season opener Saturday at 7 p.m. CT. Rice does not have a game this week. The Owls’ next game is at UTEP on Sept. 9.

11 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Just a guess, but Rice will probably head home before then.  The Texans are are on their way home from Dallas.

So soon?  I figured it'd be at least another week before they had semi-usable facilities.

All I know is the Cowboys game was cancelled because the Texans wanted to go home.  And I thought I heard that the Astros will play the Mets in Houston after all, only delayed until Saturday.  Havent heard anything about Rice but that seems to be the trend.  UH cancelled their game in SA for Saturday - I wouldnt think they'd do that if they were going to extend their stay in Austin.   But again, I'm just guessing.

23 minutes ago, Luke Chisolm said:

Doesn't rice need flooding?

I don't think it needs it. But it's a strong crop that withstands a lot of water, so flooding kills off the weeds without having to spray a bunch of crap on em. 

Somehow thats a metaphor for Rice U standing strong after this. Or avoiding the crap from the Brazos.