Sign in to follow this  
Endless Purple

Texas Coast Frogs

The last major evacuation I think was Rita and they probably had more people die trying to evacuate than from the storm wind and rain.  Miilions of people going up I45 does not work.  The flooding now is inconvenient but there are few fatalities so far.

This is looking bad and I'm afraid it's going to get worse.  The talking heads on television think it's time for the Texas governor to activate the National Guard.  Other than helicopters and perhaps medical personnel, I'm not sure what they could do.  Normally the National Guard comes in to secure property from looters and I don't see that happening.  It looks to me like boats are needed, which is going to mean civilians helping their neighbors.  The Federal government will assist with feeding and sheltering dislocated people.  Other than the Coast Guard, the military really isn't equipped or trained for flood rescue.  I suspect this is the reason you aren't seeing National Guard troops.  They'd be ineffective as a rescue force.  If looting starts, the Guard will be there. 

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

What do you think about the counties not issuing at least voluntary evacuation orders before the event when they knew how bad it was going to be? Would that just have caused too much panic to be effective? Seems now things are going to get way worse with the continued rain and drainage from bayous, rivers, and creeks. 

Yeah it usually causes too much hysteria, ie Rita 2005. Which was also compounded by the fact that it was 10 days after Katrina.

Went out in my waders a few hours ago. Waist deep about 30 yards from my driveway, but all is good. Hasn't rained in about 4 hours... Lets see what happens tonight. Was supposed to go to Chicago on Tuesday for a big meeting. Looking like that wont happen.

3 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

The last major evacuation I think was Rita and they probably had more people die trying to evacuate than from the storm wind and rain.  Miilions of people going up I45 does not work.  The flooding now is inconvenient but there are few fatalities so far.

17 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Yeah it usually causes too much hysteria, ie Rita 2005. Which was also compounded by the fact that it was 10 days after Katrina.

Just read this article about why there wasn't an evacuation called for. The governor should have checked with the locals before opening a can of worms.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Harvey-is-causing-epic-catastrophic-flooding-in-12003565.php

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Just read this article about why there wasn't an evacuation called for. The governor should have checked with the locals before opening a can of worms.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Harvey-is-causing-epic-catastrophic-flooding-in-12003565.php

The governor only said "low lying coastal areas" in his quote.  Seems more like writers for a paper on the east coast trying to make a story where there isn't one.  In their own article they said 100 people died from the evacuation.  I think they answered their own question.

This is really beginning to hit to close. 

My oldest daughter lives in Spring and refused to leave.  So far, they have been ok.  They have plenty of food, water, electricity, etc. and house has been ok.  But, if it continues to rain, I'm really concerned.  

Now they are going to start releasing water from two reservoirs tonight on top of everything else.  It will take 12 hours for the water to reach Houston.  It means that certain areas of Houston, including downtown, will flood even more.  Houston said there might potentially for months.  And, if the reservoirs broke, it could lead to the largest catastrophe in the history of the U.S.

She says she doesn't think it will have an effect on them, but the rain needs to stop and soon.

Im scared for them, and don't mind saying so.

When the National Weather Service and other government people are using words for this event like cataclysmic and epic and 500-year flood, it almost doesn't sink in because they sound too exaggerated. But, then you see the pictures of people stranded on their roofs and hear about situations like you describe, Zebra, and it all becomes too real.

I hope your daughter knows what she's doing. I'd be scared just like you are.

The last round of storms knocked out my power, but I have a charge in my tablet and wanted to reply to zebra's post.  The two reservoirs releasing water are in Houston.  It will just take time to get to downtown through buffalo bayou.  Buffalo bayou is no where near Spring, so the effect on zebra's daughter should be very little to none.  So don't let that aspect worry you.

also the national media are rather clueless from what I saw earlier.  500year flood simply means .2% of happening. Local news explained it as they have no idea what happened here 500years ago.  The national news is looking for ratings.

while things are severe and can get worse, there have been few fatalities.  The local govt and residents have been great about helping people.  A lot of discomfort and loss of possessions, but hopefully most everyone should come through.

7 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

The last round of storms knocked out my power, but I have a charge in my tablet and wanted to reply to zebra's post.  The two reservoirs releasing water are in Houston.  It will just take time to get to downtown through buffalo bayou.  Buffalo bayou is no where near Spring, so the effect on zebra's daughter should be very little to none.  So don't let that aspect worry you.

Thanks for the info.  Hopefully, everything will be ok for everybody there.  I got word last night of a pledge brother from TCU being forced out of his home in Bellaire.  He's not in good health.  

Keep us informed if you can.  Can you charge your device with a car charger?

Regarding the loss of life, isn't it a worry for local officials what they will find once the water recedes? I've been reading the stories in the Houston paper and not watching or reading any other media and I've seen this concern mentioned several times. With the backlog of distress calls, how do they know who's gone missing yet? It's all so tragic. 

17 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Rockport/Port Aransas is a bigger concern for me.  Communications is spotty at best, and dozens are missing.  Search and rescue is struggling to get around and get to work because the damage is so extensive. 

It seems more of the immediate concern has centered around Houston. The people a little further south took the direct hit.

Your in-laws in Eagle Pass didn't even get rain, did they?

1 minute ago, PurpleDawg said:

It seems more of the immediate concern has centered around Houston. The people a little further south took the direct hit.

Your in-laws in Eagle Pass didn't even get rain, did they?

That's because Houston got 7 million people and 30 inches of rain.  Bigger story.  Rockport took the direct hit, and got flattened.

And not that I know of.  But my BIL is in League City and my cousin is in Pearland, where the worst of the rain has been.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:14 AM, Radio Shack Killa said:

Not so worried about them as I am  my aunt and uncle in Katy.  Theyre getting less rain than the city relatively speaking, but both are 80 and not in the greatest of health.

Water in the lower level of their house.  Not a lot.

Just mentioned on The Ticket that this will likely be the 3rd year in a row that LSU will have a game  affected by a hurricane.  They are scheduled to play BYU Saturday at NRG.  Last year it was the Florida game moved from Gainesville to BR, and in 2015 their home opener with McNeese was cancelled.

Yesterday, I heard a mention that NRG as being opened for displaced evacuees in some way.  I didn't hear any details on which of the numerous facilities there would be used, or how, but there is a lot of floor space in addition to the actual stadium that are on the north and south side of the Astrodome right next to NRG.

My little brother (the one that recently got back from China) lives in Baytown, about 100 yards from Cedar Bayou.  His wife just texted that they have water creeping in.  it's not raining, but the water is still rising, from north of them.  They have their Suburban up on a rack in the back yard, and my brothers and nephews trucks are in the driveway, with water on the lower part of tires.  My brother and his eldest son are out in the boat, helping where they can.  SiL and 2 younger boys are decamping for her Moms house, with the truck, about 4 blocks away, still dry.  Everything in their house is either 4" up or upstairs.  They hope thats enough.  

Mad that you can't get a job?  Go to S. Texas.  There will be more than enough construction jobs.  For a long time.