Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Camping: Gear, Campgrounds, Food, Activities

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm going to bear country in the fall. Been reading a lot about being bear aware, but it's still just a crap shoot if a bear is interested in you. Luckily, at that time of year they will have been gorging all summer on food getting ready for hibernation, so maybe they won't want old lady stew. 

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-best-bear-defense-guns-pics/

38 minutes ago, FrogAbroad said:

818a6362-53ad-4042-91d5-2c28c0108486_1.a

I was thinking more of an air horn. 

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I don't think I can cross the Canadian border with a gun. 

I didn't know you were crossing the Iron Curtain 

3 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

I didn't know you were crossing the Iron Curtain 

Just to BC. I think it's the least like the rest of Canada politically, but still with very well-mannered people. 

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Just to BC. I think it's the least like the rest of Canada politically, but still with very well-mannered people. 

I hear the bears are well mannered as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

My experience with Vancouver is that it is pretty librul.  Lots of environmental building codes, nude beaches, very multi-ethnic.  I think much like America, once you are outside the cities, things swing to the right ...

33 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

My experience with Vancouver is that it is pretty librul.  Lots of environmental building codes, nude beaches, very multi-ethnic.  I think much like America, once you are outside the cities, things swing to the right ...

Yes. BC politics is on a knife edge. The count is 41 NDP (left) 3 Green (crazy neither left or right) 43 Liberal (in BC mainly centre right). The premier is NDP who has made an alliance with the Greens. Once the Speaker is elected the legislature will be tied 43-43. I doubt the government lasts long.

29 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I am avoiding the city of Vancouver this time and spending all my days on the lovely Vancouver Island, the farthest west you can get and still be in BC, or even Canada, for that matter. It's so rugged out there and unspoilt that most of it is inaccessible by car. I'll be out there with the whales, bears, trout, and birds.

1 minute ago, PurpleDawg said:

I am avoiding the city of Vancouver this time and spending all my days on the lovely Vancouver Island, the farthest west you can get and still be in BC, or even Canada, for that matter. It's so rugged out there and unspoilt that most of it is inaccessible by car. I'll be out there with the whales, bears, trout, and birds.

And at least one cougar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

11 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Yes. BC politics is on a knife edge decided by about 5 votes. The count is 41 NDP (left) 3 Green (crazy neither left or right) 43 Liberal (in BC mainly center right with some left ideas). The premier is NDP who has made an alliance with the Greens. Once the Speaker is elected the legislature will be tied 43-43. I doubt the government lasts long.

When I made my post, I chose a bad way to say that I think the BC population is pretty laid-back and more hippy-like. They don't strike me as being very politically active.

3 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

...he farthest west you can get and still be in BC, or even Canada, for that matter....

um....

....eh never mind.....

1 minute ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

And at least one cougar.

tumblr_niycmqLvg41u7gnm9o1_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

um....

....eh never mind.....

You know what I meant.

Are those the goblins who Sasquatch keeps on his payroll? ^^

11 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Are those the goblins who Sasquatch keeps on his payroll? ^^

If one watches space/sci fi movies and TV, it is quite apparent the woods around Vancouver are completely filled with aliens, time travelers, star gates, mutants, superheroes, androids, robots, and interstellar ship crash sites much more than goblins.

13 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

If one watches space/sci fi movies and TV, it is quite apparent the woods around Vancouver are completely filled with aliens, time travelers, star gates, mutants, superheroes, androids, robots, and interstellar ship crash sites much more than goblins.

....and sandwich making Wolverines 

tumblr_mwi8xxgPRw1qzzexoo1_500.gif

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I thought that was Vancouver, Washington, just across the river from Portland. 

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I thought that was Vancouver, Washington, just across the river from Portland. 

No...Hollywood has complained about companies using cheaper Canadian sites for such things. Some call Vancouver Hollywood North. It gets to where you start recognizing forest trails, streams, and gravel pits after a while not just city buildings!

Vancouver_4.png

Out of all those shows, I've only ever seen the X-Files.

I think the series "John Doe" was filmed there

6 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Out of all those shows, I've only ever seen the X-Files.

I watched Smallville

tumblr_mra91uPNh61s7ulafo1_500.gif

If only we had more TCU stuff, this would be perfect.

IMG3300.jpg

IMG3301.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3