Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Camping: Gear, Campgrounds, Food, Activities

Surely, there are campers on The Frog Horn, right? Tents, RVs, a bed roll under the stars (even in the backyard)...where do you go and what do you set up in once you get there? Hunters, do you sleep out or in when you're trying to get your dove or deer for the season? Any vehicle campers here?

What gear does everyone take along? I'm looking at this little sweetheart to take care of the essential functions. Anyone else have something similar they like or don't? 

Best Choice Products Camping Hiking Dual Spray Jets Travel Outdoor Portable Toilet, 5 gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KWQBU8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.goxzbGF93BHT

I always think camping is a good idea, until I'm out there and I can't sleep and my back hurts, and I'm sweating. 

I need to invest in better gear.

The Omaha trip wasn't really a camping trip; it was more of a "Let's go see the CWS and haul our hotel room with us" trip.  Other than making coffee in the morning, we didn't do any cooking, and we didn't take the dog.  I'll give you a more complete report after next weekend.

That said, we both really liked the trailer.  Once you get your head wrapped around the idea that you have extremely limited space (and we were comfortable with that before we bought the trailer), you just make adjustments and go on.  I guess we both like compact spaces.  Cathy doesn't come from a camping family, but she's really taken to it. 

The negative: 

.....The gray water tank is small; we're definitely going to have to take Navy showers. 

.....I experienced a little bit of sway at high speeds (faster than I should have been going, to be honest), but sway control took care of that (see below.) 

.....There's not an obvious place to store the sewer discharge hose; after reading the forums, I put it in a bag and stored it in the battery / propane compartment up front.  This may be a future mod - people have come up with some pretty slick solutions for this.  

.....The refrigerator doesn't cool as fast as I'd like, but apparently, the performance is pretty standard. 

The positive:

.....Towing is a breeze, even with a Ford Escape.  I got a sway control bar installed last weekend, and even with a strong crosswind, you can barely tell you're hauling a trailer.  I wanted to go out this weekend and just haul the trailer around just for fun.  We store the thing in our driveway out back.  And I maneuver it into position BY HAND.  I back the trailer into the driveway, unhitch, then turn the trailer 180 degrees by hand and pull it back into position.

.....The T@B line of trailers is very well built.  Solid birch cabinetry (They imply that the Amish do the work, but I'm skeptical.  The interiors ARE really well-built, though.)

.....The A/C works great.

.....There's a neat little compact boiler under the back seat that provides hot water as well as radiant heating via propane and/or electricity.  Works great.

.....Following the advice on www.happycamperwives.com , we added a mattress topper.  Bed is large, very comfortable, and very easy to stow and deploy.

.....It's REALLY nice to have a shower.  Just sayin'...

.....Not sure if this is a pro or a con, but people treat you like a rock star.  EVERYONE wants to check out the cool teardrop trailer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Recent camping has been Scout camping largely on Scout properties in campground-owned tents (often military-style canvas pup tents) and often on cots.  Not a terrible way to go.

21 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

.....Not sure if this is a pro or a con, but people treat you like a rock star.  EVERYONE wants to check out the cool teardrop trailer. 

People treat you like a rock star because you are the Turk.  The trailer is merely an in ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

People treat you like a rock star because you are the Turk.  The trailer is merely an in ...

PulpFiction.gif

2 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

.....Following the advice on www.happycamperwives.com , we added a mattress topper.  Bed is large, very comfortable, and very easy to stow and deploy.

This is a great website and excellent advice. The topper makes an average trailer mattress into a very comfy dream bed. 

Yeah, the sway control bars are the bomb. I was pulling a 28' trailer with my diesel Excursion up and down mountains and I would have been scared to death if it wasn't for my set up. I had really heavy duty gear back there. There was one thing Ratbastard #2 got right and it was towing because he had done it with horses all his life. You've got to know what you're doing when towing animals.

Do you have a towing package on your Escape? You may not even need it with how lightweight your teardrop is. I love that you can move it around by hand.

Looking forward to your report after the weekend. AddyFrogDog is going to love it, I bet. Where are you going, or is that a surprise?

On 7/5/2017 at 1:54 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Do you have a towing package on your Escape? You may not even need it with how lightweight your teardrop is. I love that you can move it around by hand.

The Titanium package Escape has additional towing capability (3500# instead of 2000# on the SC package).  Since a Class II hitch has a 3500# rating, I assume it has a Class II hitch.  I had to get a seven-blade electrical connection installed on the Escape so I could charge the battery and engage the electric brakes on the trailer.  Pretty cool little setup:

IMG3266.jpg

We're going to Lake Bob Sandlin State Park near Pittsburg* in east Texas.  We're going to start hitting State Parks in Texas and Arkansas pretty regularly. 

In September, between the SMU and WVU home games, we're going to Santa Fe, Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, and other points west.  We MIGHT go up to Stillwater to catch the OSU game, too.

My latest obsession is with changing out my single 12V battery with two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series, then adding some level of solar charging.  That still won't run the (110V) air conditioner, but with as small as the trailer is, I think I can find some reasonably-priced level of solar charging that will keep us charged continuously and still run all the 12V systems.

* Yes, that's the correct spelling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@Newbomb, I have friends who just came back from a trip to Arches and other Utah parks and they stayed at Fort Griffin State Historical Park in Albany, TX (near Breckenridge) on their way back home to San Marcos. Here's what they said about it. Maybe keep this one in your back pocket for when you want something close, but would like to go hang out with some longhorns (the four-legged variety...the State of Texas official herd is kept at this park).

Our last night on the road was spent at Fort Griffin State Historical Park, TX. What a treat it was! Amazing, historic place! God knew we needed a peaceful retreat after two very busy weeks of traveling. We had the entire campground loop to ourselves, not a human in sight or heard. We sat in the middle of the road and watched the stars come out, listened to the crickets and cicadas, and didn't get bit by one mosquito! It was heavenly, we didn't want to leave.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/texas/albany/fort-griffin-state-park-historic-site

FA, I put the part of my original post about sleeping in a bed roll under the stars in there just for you. I know you've done that a time or three.

2 minutes ago, crunch said:

We tent camp, with both a fan and a heater.

So, always in a campground with facilities and electric/water? Never dry camping?

3 minutes ago, crunch said:

Not with the wife and kid.  My brother and I hiked a couple miles in East Texas woods and picked a spot for 2 nights.  Terrible time.  

Yeah. Gross.

When it's at home, Mrs. Turk and I refer to it as The Clubhouse:

IMG3262.jpg

IMG3265.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the TCU emblem placement. Looks made to go there. 

Is the trailer always in the shade? A lot of people will cover the outer surface of their tires from sun exposure with an old piece of plywood or something similar while not in use to keep the rubber from degrading. 

37 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I like the TCU emblem placement. Looks made to go there. 

Wait 'til I install the TCU spare tire cover...

37 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Is the trailer always in the shade? A lot of people will cover the outer surface of their tires from sun exposure with an old piece of plywood or something similar while not in use to keep the rubber from degrading. 

I bought a sweet canvas cover for it, but for now, we enjoy going out and sitting in it so much we haven't had the cover on for longer than a day.

3 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Wait 'til I install the TCU spare tire cover...

I bought a sweet canvas cover for it, but for now, we enjoy going out and sitting in it so much we haven't had the cover on for longer than a day.

I'm looking forward to seeing it tricked out in Frog stuff. 

Maybe you and Mrs. T should set up a faux campground in your backyard to enjoy when you're not officially off camping somewhere. You know, make a fire ring out of stones, bring a wooden picnic table in, install an outhouse. Give it some authentic ambiance. 

Stay safe out there, patriots ...

Teen wakes to 'crunching noise' as bear drags him out of campsite by head

The teen, identified only as Dylan, was in his sleeping bag when he heard a "crunching noise" around 4 a.m. Sunday, and woke to find the bear biting his head and dragging him away, KMGH-TV reported. 

"The crunching noise, I guess, was the teeth scraping against the skull as it dug in," Dylan told KMGH-TV. 

I'm going to bear country in the fall. Been reading a lot about being bear aware, but it's still just a crap shoot if a bear is interested in you. Luckily, at that time of year they will have been gorging all summer on food getting ready for hibernation, so maybe they won't want old lady stew. 

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm going to bear country in the fall. Been reading a lot about being bear aware, but it's still just a crap shoot if a bear is interested in you. Luckily, at that time of year they will have been gorging all summer on food getting ready for hibernation, so maybe they won't want old lady stew. 

The campgrounds where we were with the Scouts was prime black bear country.  Each campground had a steel cage located probably 50 yards from the tents where you put your food.  There were reports that a bear went through one of the campsites and destroyed some tents when nobody was there ...

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I hope you have as good a time in bear country as we did on our last trip.

IMG2591.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2