Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The TCU Variety Thread

21 minutes ago, SFA Frog said:

I think I got my acceptance on December 2 or December 9, 2000.  I was in Fredericksburg on a German glass field trip.

And you would graduate from SFA only 14 years later ... 

3 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

I got my acceptance letter to TCU on December 20, 1991, my 18th birthday. I don't know when they arrive now. 

I’m pretty sure I got my in like November. I remember it being a fairly painless process 

2 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I’m pretty sure I got my in like November. I remember it being a fairly painless process 

wow. thats real early.  I got mine two days before the Sun Bowl.

4 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Getting into TCU was easy in my day. Not so much anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

That's great for her! TCU has always had a stellar voice department.

When I was a flute performance major, there was no "real world" component. No one ever said to me, "What are you going to do with this useless thing you've spent years acquiring?" Glad to hear that's changed a bit. 

Let us know when she gets her letter.

She got her acceptance to Trinity tonight. $88k scholarship. 

Its $55k/ year! Damn. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Its $55k/ year! Damn. 

Wow. Will that sway her toward Trinity? Great school. 

16 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Wow. Will that sway her toward Trinity? Great school. 

Maybe a little. She def bleeds purple. A lot will depend what kind of scholly that TCU gives her.

13 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Its $55k/ year! Damn. 

88k total or per year? She'll for sure be accepted at TCU if she got into Trinity. It's a great school.

8 minutes ago, crunch said:

I've always heard that Trinity is a good school.  I've never met anyone who went there, though.  

Nobody has. That's how it preserves its reputation. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

88k total or per year? She'll for sure be accepted at TCU if she got into Trinity. It's a great school.

Total... so $22k/ year. Retail price is $55k/ year. So roughly a 40% discount.

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Total... so $22k/ year. Retail price is $55k/ year. So roughly a 40% discount.

My kids will not be going to college 

• Upvote (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

My kids will not be going to college 

Nope, mine neither. Putting a welding torch in my sons hands at age 2

• Upvote (+1) 3

Terribly written and edited article, but it was finals time, so maybe that was the excuse. Anyway, interesting info, nonetheless. (There are a couple of graphics at the link.)

TCU keeps gender ratio, looks to increase diversity

Looking across TCU’s campus during a rush to class, two things are obvious – there are more women than men on campus, and there are few students of color. 

While admissions is taking steps to increase diversity on campus, it looks like the gender gap is staying the same.

The Office of Institutional Research released the updated student demographic data for 2017 in October. Nowell Donovan, the provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs, has analyzed trends and compared TCU’s data with other schools in a series of presentations throughout the semester.

Student Ethnic Demographics

Ethnic diversity is about more than morality it is the key to staying relevant, Heath Einstein, the undergraduate admissions counselor, said. He added that increasing diversity benefits the campus community.

In an email, Karen Espino, a junior mechanical engineering and math double major, wrote increasing diversity would help minority students feel more welcome. She also said diversity improves learning.

“Diversity allows for different ideas and opinions to be brought up,” Espino said. “Sometimes, people need a different point of view in order to understand a subject.”

While there are more Hispanic students at TCU than before (in fact, Einstein said this demographic made up the largest increase), the proportion of African American students at TCU has remained the same. This stagnancy comes despite an increased number of African American students.

“Proportionately, there’s been no increase in African American students,” Donovan said. 

Espino said she notices the lack of diversity on campus– saying as a minority, the lack of diversity is “apparent.” Espino also said diversity promotes awareness of different backgrounds.

“It makes students aware of the fact that there are people of many different backgrounds, and definitely makes them more open-minded,” Espino said.

Einstein said TCU hosts recruitment events for students of color, including Shades of Purple, which recruits students of color from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

“The percent of students of color here is not where we want it,” Einstein said. “But it’s the highest it’s ever been.”

Student Gender Ratio

Women have dominated TCU for 40 years, but the Horned Frogs aren’t the only ones with female student population on the rise. 

In 1994, 63 percent of females and 61 of males attended college immediately after graduating high school. However, in 2012 female enrollment increased to 71 percent, while male enrollment didn’t change.

Boschini said 65.4 percent of college degrees in the last two years were earned by women. 

Donovan said the ratio between male and female students at TCU has been “essentially flat.” The ratio, which is 52 females to 48 males, hasn’t changed in the past 40 years, Donovan said.

TCU would have to admit 950 more men and 950 fewer women to even the gender ratio– something Donovan said won’t be happening.

“It’s not realistically going to happen,” Donovan said. “I don’t want to lose 950 females.”

https://www.tcu360.com/2017/12/tcu-demographics-longform/

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

She got in! Found out last night. Class of 2022

Fantastic!! Congratulations to lil' sis! What about the money?

16 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

She got in! Found out last night. Class of 2022

Buy her a pair of purple striped overalls for Christmas.  They'll get her into the student crowd shot next football season.  :P

• Upvote (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Student Gender Ratio

Women have dominated TCU for 40 years, but the Horned Frogs aren’t the only ones with female student population on the rise. 

In 1994, 63 percent of females and 61 of males attended college immediately after graduating high school. However, in 2012 female enrollment increased to 71 percent, while male enrollment didn’t change.

Boschini said 65.4 percent of college degrees in the last two years were earned by women. 

Donovan said the ratio between male and female students at TCU has been “essentially flat.” The ratio, which is 52 females to 48 males, hasn’t changed in the past 40 years, Donovan said.

TCU would have to admit 950 more men and 950 fewer women to even the gender ratio– something Donovan said won’t be happening.

“It’s not realistically going to happen,” Donovan said. “I don’t want to lose 950 females.”

https://www.tcu360.com/2017/12/tcu-demographics-longform/

That 52-48 at TCU is not correct otherwise there was some serious errors in past releases.  It was closer to 60% female at one time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very good.

Searching For Slingin' Sammy Baugh

Baugh was a decent high school football player, but his No. 1 sport was baseball. He played third base and had a great arm.

In 1933, Baugh joined the baseball and football teams at Texas Christian University. He expected to play third base and punt for the football team. He’d always been good at that.

Most college teams from the East and Midwest were still avoiding the forward pass, but Dutch Meyer – the football and baseball coach at TCU – loved it.

"Hell, we could throw the ball any time we wanted to," Baugh told Daly. "And Dutch told us, 'If you've got a reason for doing it, I'll never second guess you.' "

Soon Meyer figured out that his third baseman with the strong arm would actually make a darn good passer.

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/12/15/sammy-baugh-forward-pass

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

That 52-48 at TCU is not correct otherwise there was some serious errors in past releases.  It was closer to 60% female at one time.

It was 60-40 ladies when I went there. Good times. 

On 12/17/2017 at 5:34 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Fantastic!! Congratulations to lil' sis! What about the money?

TCU sends out financial packages in January

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

TCU sends out financial packages in January

Fingers crossed it's good!