Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The TCU Variety Thread

On 5/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, PurpleDawg said:

oopsie!

TCU Students Suspended, Accused of Cheating Using Popular Study App Quizlet

An app that's supposed to help students study is now the focus of a cheating investigation. You may not have heard of Quizlet but older children likely have and may even have it on their laptop or phone. Now Texas Christian University has suspended a group of students for using it to look at test questions someone posted online.

The alleged cheating happened over multiple semesters and involved around a dozen students in more than one course.

The students say they didn't know the exact material they studied would wind up on the exam. The scandal now has other students questioning how they use one of their most common study tools.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TCU-Students-Suspended-Accused-of-Cheating-Using-Popular-Study-App-Quizlet-482129031.html

A Fort Worth attorney representing some students in an alleged cheating scandal at TCU said suspensions associated with the cheating have been lifted.

The university this week confirmed several students were suspended for what officials describe as cheating with an internet based study tool.

"A number of our students just yesterday afternoon heard that the suspension was being lifted,” attorney Leticia Martinez said. “They still would have the failing grade… and the academic misconduct.”

http://www.fox4news.com/news/attorney-of-tcu-students-accused-of-cheating-turns-up-heat-on-school

On 5/11/2018 at 9:59 AM, PurpleDawg said:

A Fort Worth attorney representing some students in an alleged cheating scandal at TCU said suspensions associated with the cheating have been lifted.

The university this week confirmed several students were suspended for what officials describe as cheating with an internet based study tool.

"A number of our students just yesterday afternoon heard that the suspension was being lifted,” attorney Leticia Martinez said. “They still would have the failing grade… and the academic misconduct.”

http://www.fox4news.com/news/attorney-of-tcu-students-accused-of-cheating-turns-up-heat-on-school

So are they guilty of cheating or not? Why lift the suspension but keep the failing grade and misconduct record?

1 hour ago, SuperToad said:

So are they guilty of cheating or not? Why lift the suspension but keep the failing grade and misconduct record?

Yeah, that's what I wondered.

Did not know where to put this once I learned it.  Yes, I learned something new still.

Alabama and Tennessee are Big 12 members.  Of course, it is just for rowing but still.  I am sure this can come up in a creative way next time someone is shouting how the Big 12 sucks.

PS. Old Dominion is the other non-primary Big 12 team in for rowing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

TCU founder's great-great-granddaughter prepares to graduate from same school

Zoey Clark's great-great-grandfather Randolph Clark founded the university with his brother, Addison.

Like most TCU students, senior Zoey Clark has walked past the statue of the university's founders countless times in her four years on campus. It's featured prominently on the mall.

But unlike most TCU students, the statue is more to her than just a landmark; it's a piece of family history.

"I feel incredibly proud, I do," Clark said Friday, the day before she's set to graduate. "Randolph Clark, one of the founders, was my great-great-grandfather."

Her great-great-grandfather (who has the beard, should you ever see the statue), started the university in the late 1800s along with his brother Addison. It was first in Thorp Springs, then Waco and, since 1911, at its current location off University Drive in Fort Worth.

"It's kind of funny, walking past him every now and then," Clark said of the statue.

Besides her sister, most of Clark's family didn't actually go to TCU. But since enrolling here, she says she's realized how meaningful the connection is.

"There are paintings up in Sadler Hall and these statues that I walk past, it's just a little—it's nice to see them standing next to me," Clark said.

"I think it's pretty special she ended up actually deciding to come here," said Tracy Hull, Associate Dean of the library. She said the founders and their values are still such a strong part of the university's identity.

"It's kind of interesting that the university still exists and all these years later, this great-great-granddaughter is a graduate," Hull said.

"I know my family was a part of making something so wonderful, and this campus is just fantastic," Clark said.

Her family is presenting the school with a portrait of Randolph Clark Friday evening. And even as Zoey Clark prepares to leave campus for good, she knows her family's mark will stay forever.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/tcu-founders-great-great-granddaughter-prepares-to-graduate-from-same-school/287-551363710

• Upvote (+1) 3

TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati aces first major test

He stared down Mississippi State, one of the proudest baseball programs in the SEC, and persuaded Schlossnagle to stay. Days later, he signed Sarloos to a three-year extension. Both expressed excitement at the possibility of bringing a national championship to Fort Worth.

It was a coup by the 40-year-old athletic director. Despite being the youngest in the Big 12, Donati made a statement – he’s ready to play with the big boys.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Aint sweating it.  Lot of talent out there, and Del Conte aint the first executive to bring along his own people.  It was inevitable that people would follow him.

Babysis DTF had orientation last week. Said she only got 1 8am class which isn’t bad. Already had a math and English class so she’s heavy on music classes even in her first semester. 

I think she’s super amped to be a frog!

class of 2022. That even makes ME feel old. lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

That video is how I remember the campus looking when I was there.

Same here and I graduated in '96 

Hard to believe Mr. TCU is 27 years old now. HBD, wherever you are, kid.

Today's Birthdays

tcumaniac (27 years old)

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I was digging around a little on Linzy Cole (spurred on by his appearances in the Countdown thread) and found this old 2012 piece written for the mtn which features Cole, Bubba Thornton, and Jerry LeVias.  A little bit about TCU history for those interested ...

Forget Me Not: Linzy Cole Quietly Revolutionized TCU Football

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I was digging around a little on Linzy Cole (spurred on by his appearances in the Countdown thread) and found this old 2012 piece written for the mtn which features Cole, Bubba Thornton, and Jerry LeVias.  A little bit about TCU history for those interested ...

Forget Me Not: Linzy Cole Quietly Revolutionized TCU Football

Great story! Linzy was finally inducted into the HoF in 2016.

Babysis DTF is moving into the dorms tomorrow!

Apparently it is their largest Freshman class ever... She is living in a "triple" which is a converted lounge in Shirley.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 4

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Babysis DTF is moving into the dorms tomorrow!

Apparently it is their largest Freshman class ever... She is living in a "triple" which is a converted lounge in Shirley.

I heard over the summer that they got way more acceptances from offers than they anticipated.  That has evidently been a problem for 5-6 years now but this year it was even more than it has in the past. 

10 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

I heard over the summer that they got way more acceptances from offers than they anticipated.  That has evidently been a problem for 5-6 years now but this year it was even more than it has in the past. 

Yeah that is what I heard as well.