Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The TCU Variety Thread

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

oopsie!

TCU Students Suspended, Accused of Cheating Using Popular Study App Quizlet

An app that's supposed to help students study is now the focus of a cheating investigation. You may not have heard of Quizlet but older children likely have and may even have it on their laptop or phone. Now Texas Christian University has suspended a group of students for using it to look at test questions someone posted online.

The alleged cheating happened over multiple semesters and involved around a dozen students in more than one course.

The students say they didn't know the exact material they studied would wind up on the exam. The scandal now has other students questioning how they use one of their most common study tools.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TCU-Students-Suspended-Accused-of-Cheating-Using-Popular-Study-App-Quizlet-482129031.html

Ridiculous. Unless they were using it during the exam, that's not cheating. If you're going to suspend those students for using Quizlet, they're going to have to suspend half the student body. If you're a professor and not only hand back a copy of the exam, but also don't change up the questions in the exam, that's on you. 

This is isn't a battle TCU is going to win. They were wrong to suspend those students.

4 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

This is isn't a battle TCU is going to win. They were wrong to suspend those students.

I get the outrage by the kids and their group over the suspension. I also can see the professor's point that they should have spoken up when they saw the exact questions from the app on their test. However, using the same test over and over for several semesters seems pretty lazy. I don't think TCU will uphold the suspensions. To potentially ruin these peoples' careers over this incident isn't worth it.

7 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I get the outrage by the kids and their group over the suspension. I also can see the professor's point that they should have spoken up when they saw the exact questions from the app on their test. However, using the same test over and over for several semesters seems pretty lazy. I don't think TCU will uphold the suspensions. To potentially ruin these peoples' careers over this incident isn't worth it.

Why is that on the students to report it? They were under the impression that it was a study guide, not the actual test. Did this professor seriously not know about Quizlet? It was a thing when I was at TCU 7 years ago. But yeah, I expect TCU to overturn these suspensions pretty quickly. The 'fault' (if there even is one) is with the lazy professor.

8 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Why is that on the students to report it?

Honor? Truthfulness? Integrity? Principles? Standards? Conscience?

44 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Honor? Truthfulness? Integrity? Principles? Standards? Conscience?

Qualities I'm sure we all had in college lol.

But I think you'd be surprised how many professors recycle questions from study guides. Hell I can remember a handful of exams that were exact copies of the study guide that was provided by the professor. With that being a bit of normality, I don't think many students would think that to be anything out of the ordinary. Especially on Quizlet. I just think this professor got caught being lazy and was embarrassed, so they 'took action'.

14 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

oopsie!

TCU Students Suspended, Accused of Cheating Using Popular Study App Quizlet

An app that's supposed to help students study is now the focus of a cheating investigation. You may not have heard of Quizlet but older children likely have and may even have it on their laptop or phone. Now Texas Christian University has suspended a group of students for using it to look at test questions someone posted online.

The alleged cheating happened over multiple semesters and involved around a dozen students in more than one course.

The students say they didn't know the exact material they studied would wind up on the exam. The scandal now has other students questioning how they use one of their most common study tools.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TCU-Students-Suspended-Accused-of-Cheating-Using-Popular-Study-App-Quizlet-482129031.html

Should have done what we did.  We (frat bros) had a set of keys to the business building.  We'd go in during night classes and unlock the bathroom window on the first floor and after the 1AM security check. We would then sneak up to the building and crawl through the opened bathroom  window with the keys to almost every office.  We would put a flashlight in a black sock so it wouldn't shine too bright and sneak into offices all around the building.  Some teachers had locked filing cabinets,  most did not.  Any tests you could get would sell for an easy $20 (lots of money in the 70's).  The missions were successful for about a year and a half.  People that bought the tests were always told to use it to study, DO NOT fill the test out and turn it in.  Well, one TCU football player (can't remember name) filled the test out and turned it in and was caught.   After Advertizing teacher Mr Rascopff (sp?) collected up all the tests after each class he'd squared them on his desk and one test stuck up 1/4" higher than the others. and the jock was caught.  Apparently that morning  Mr Rascopff took all the tests and cut 1/4" off the bottom of each one.  BUSTED!   To his credit the jock didn't give anyone up

Holy cow, RH. You guys put a lot of effort into that scheme.

35 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Holy cow, RH. You guys put a lot of effort into that scheme.

A frat brother lived on the corner of Lubbock and Lowden and was able to watch and chart the TCU security routine. 😊

So I'm up in Columbus, Ohio for a couple of weeks on business.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a rabid tOSU fan, who, much to my surprise, are actually good folks.  I've felt right at home talking college football.

37 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

So I'm up in Columbus, Ohio for a couple of weeks on business.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a rabid tOSU fan, who, much to my surprise, are actually good folks.  I've felt right at home talking college football.

So did ya?

Swing a dead cat.

2 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

So did ya?

Swing a dead cat.

No, but one of our guys saw a guy kicking a dying possum. 

True story.

I like it when you're out of town, Newbomb. We see more of you here.

9 hours ago, RedHill said:

Should have done what we did.  We (frat bros) had a set of keys to the business building.  We'd go in during night classes and unlock the bathroom window on the first floor and after the 1AM security check. We would then sneak up to the building and crawl through the opened bathroom  window with the keys to almost every office. 

If you had a set of keys, why did you sneak in through the window? Just wondering. 

47 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

If you had a set of keys, why did you sneak in through the window? Just wondering. 

Keys to the offices but not the external doors? 

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

The keys were stolen from a TCU security guard during class.  I'm guessing the resolve for TCU security was to change the locks on the outside of all the buildings and not bother with the locks inside the buildings? 

3 minutes ago, RedHill said:

The keys were stolen from a TCU security guard during class.  I'm guessing the resolve for TCU security was to change the locks on the outside of all the buildings and not bother with the locks inside the buildings? 

Wow ... that makes sense. But also wow. 

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

Wow ... that makes sense. But also wow. 

Security even back in our day was more of a suggestion than a requirement.  

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Security even back in our day was more of a suggestion than a requirement.  

Stealing the keys had to take some balls 

14 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Stealing the keys had to take some balls 

Stolen during Music Appreciation Thur night class.  Teacher Ms. Planick.  I was there but did not take the keys

5 minutes ago, RedHill said:

Stolen during Music Appreciation Thur night class.  Teacher Ms. Planick.  I was there but did not take the keys

How did somebody lift them? Where were they? 

They were in his jacket.  When the class took a break he left the jacket hanging on the back of the chair.  My buddy saw that and grabbed them when the room was empty.  

12 minutes ago, RedHill said:

They were in his jacket.  When the class took a break he left the jacket hanging on the back of the chair.  My buddy saw that and grabbed them when the room was empty.  

Good lord. Classic. Y'all never got caught? 

Just now, Boston Frog said:

Good lord. Classic. Y'all never got caught? 

Had to jump off the roof of the second floor by the accounting lab one time.  We could hear more than one security guy downstairs going one office to the next (doors open and shutting) we got spooked and bailed out.   All the locks were changed after that 

12 minutes ago, RedHill said:

Had to jump off the roof of the second floor by the accounting lab one time.  We could hear more than one security guy downstairs going one office to the next (doors open and shutting) we got spooked and bailed out.   All the locks were changed after that 

This is truly incredible stuff 

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

This is truly incredible stuff 

Going inside was a rush.  I only did it three times and can still remember it well.