Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The TCU Variety Thread

Regarding TCU, but doesn't fit anywhere else? Put it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is TCU’s firework obsession because of Boschini? ‘It doesn’t hurt.’

“I am a big firework nut,” Boschini said.

https://www.tcu360.com/2017/05/is-tcus-firework-obsession-because-of-boschini-it-doesnt-hurt/

TCU 14-year-old will be youngest college grad ever in North Texas

FORT WORTH -- It's finals week at Texas Christian University.

It isn't hard to spot hundreds of students darting from their dorm rooms to the library, to their exams, and then repeating the exhausting cycle again and again.

But one senior spent his Tuesday afternoon in front of a camera, explaining with a big grin just what the heck he's actually doing on Saturday.

"Well, I'm graduating. I feel like I've sort of grown up a little bit," said Carson Huey-You.

The irony of that statement isn't lost on Carson. He's 14 years old.

"I was actually home schooled until I was five. Then I went to private school," he said.

Four years ago, Carson stepped onto TCU's campus as an undergraduate freshman. He quickly found a mentor in fellow physics lover Dr. Magnus Rittby, a longtime professor.

"You may have seen Doogie Howser or something on TV, and thought this was a genius child. I wasn't sure what would happen," said Rittby.

It wasn't long before the pair began to accomplish significant research, though.

Rittby says his student's youth has actually been a huge advantage when tackling the theories behind quantum physics.

"Being playful is a plus. That way you can find out things that other people can't because they're too stuck in their ways," says the professor. 

WFAA checked with other North Texas colleges like UNT, UTA, SMU, and Dallas Baptist University. None of them have ever graduated a student as young as Carson.

The larger University of Texas system, based in Austin, was still working to track down the age of its youngest ever graduate as of Tuesday evening.

Aside from a physics major, Carson studied Chinese as a minor. He'll return to TCU in the fall to begin graduate coursework.

"I want to get a PH.d eventually, then do research, and maybe a bit of teaching," he said.

When he returns to campus, Carson won't be alone. His younger brother is enrolling as a freshman this summer. Cannan Carson is only 11.

"He wants to do a double major. We're proud of him," said Carson. 

(Beware auto-play video at link.)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/tcu-14-year-old-set-to-be-youngest-ever-college-grad-in-n-texas/438347702

On 5/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Speaking of V-BO. My little sister and I have a private meeting with him in July before her campus tour. He really is a gracious guy.

Never met him personally, but stories I have heard paint him as an absolutely first-rate schmoozer.

Nothing wrong with that, if it brings students and faculty that everyone else wants too, and financial donors (that of course everyone else wants) to campus, without being a flim-flam artist like some of those turds at Baylor seem to be.

I am happy and proud that V-BO works for TCU.

2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

V-Bo probably doesn't make enough money, either!

In the top 100 among all college leaders.  Checks in at #12 as of 2013.  1.3 million.  More than Yale, Harvard, ND or Stanford.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/the-100-highest-paid-university-presidents/ss-AAgd9jP#image=89

5 hours ago, froginaustin said:

Never met him personally, but stories I have heard paint him as an absolutely first-rate schmoozer.

Nothing wrong with that, if it brings students and faculty that everyone else wants too, and financial donors (that of course everyone else wants) to campus, without being a flim-flam artist like some of those turds at Baylor seem to be.

I am happy and proud that V-BO works for TCU.

I emailed him a few months ago and he emailed me right back telling me to have my Sister email him to get on his calendar. Little sis took it from there. Whatever he is, he really does care about his Alumni. 

3 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Well, something's a little wacky there, then. His salary certainly took a huge leap between 2012 and 2013.

As president of OSU, Gee was one of the highest-paid public college presidents in the country, making an annual base salary of about $830,000 and a total compensation of slightly less than $1.9 million in the 2011-12 fiscal year.

Since he played at TCU, I'll put it here.

Guy Morriss battling Alzheimer's

"State of the art testing, looking at PET scan imaging of the brain, was able to detect plaques within the brain," said Dr. Greg Jicha, MD, Ph.D. "That is a hallmark feature of Alzheimer's disease."

For the past nine months, Guy and his wife Jackie have been dealing with that sobering diagnosis. Dr. Jicha says the condition is very likely brought on by more than 20 years as an offensive lineman, 15 in the NFL.

"We know that many NFL players and folks who have engaged in careers where repetitive head injury, even mild head injury, can leave them predisposed to a variety of conditions," Dr. Jicha explained.

The NFL has begun to accept the results of years of research. But for Morris and other players dealing with this kind of diagnosis is not as easy task. He first sought out medical advice four years ago at the Center for Brain Health in Dallas, where they told him he was dealing with a form of dementia.

Morriss said, "I wouldn't accept it. This can't be happening to me."

Eventually, Morriss and his family moved back to Kentucky.

He worked for a time with high school teams, but his health problems grew to the point where he could barely function.

"At first I couldn't write my name. I could not write my name. I didn't know my ABCs. I couldn't do that little rhyme."

Eventually, he couldn't dress himself or tie his own shoes.

"You wake up one day... everything connects. Next time, you get out of bed.... It's just a day at a time."

Last fall, Morris visited the Sanders-Brown Center on Aging, where testing revealed Guy was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.

With treatment, including a drug called Aricept, and a lot of hard work, Guy is beginning to become Guy again."

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/WKYT-Exclusive-Former-UK-coach-Guy-Morriss-battling-Alzheimers-423711074.html

This former TCU star is eager to return to the program. But there’s a history

As far as pro and life credentials, Nailon is an asset. He played in the NBA from 2000 to 2006, and then bounced all over the globe making money as a player. He retired as a player when he was 37.

He’s played. He’s made money. He’s lost money. He’s lived. He’s made good. He’s made bad decisions.

He grabbed the chance to join The Big 3, mostly because it sounded like fun, he’s in good shape and he could make a little bit of money.

He’s 42, and wants to work in basketball. He wants a job at TCU.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article164237587.html

TCU pair of NIT champs are signed, sealed for European teams | The Star-Telegram

Great news for a pair of fan favorites, as Shep and Parrish will keep their hoop dreams alive overseas.

Parrish, an Arlington Seguin graduate who is the school’s career in games played (136), signed a one-year deal to play with the Worcester Wolves in Worcester, England. The team competes in the British Basketball League.

Shepherd, who ranks second to Parrish on the Frogs’ career list of games played (131), signed a two-year deal to play for the KK Mornar Bar team in Bar, Montenegro. Shepherd said the team participates in three different European leagues and he plans to leave Aug. 12 to begin preparations for a season that starts in October.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2017/7/29/16061550/tcu-news-happy-football-reporting-day