angelosfrog

TCU 2017-2018 Basketball

2 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Image result for king get along

Don't worry - Boston and I (usually) get along fine.  This is just a re-hash of an argument from the old FFF from 18 years ago.  There were some of us that predicted that running Tubbs out of town on a rail would tank the basketball program for decades and that's what happened.  We disappeared from TV, attendance was terrible and we became a laughingstock of college basketball, finishing last in multiple conferences year-after-year.  To see Tubbs being blamed for that now is not accurate and a re-write of history.  It has taken years and years and years to fight back from that utter debacle.  Dixon has the potential - like Patterson - to become the greatest TCU basketball coach ever, but he's competing against Killer and Swaim and Tubbs, not Dougherty, Christian or Johnson.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Today seems like an odd day for Frog fans to be bickering with one another.

We goin' dancin'

The problem lies in the fact that there are 2 different conversations going on.

17 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

You need to stop 

Its funnier if he doesnt.

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

Seriously, somebody is fake news. I found this old photo from the Skiff archives.

Whitehorsefinal.jpg

Billy Tubbs maneuvers his players on horseback into the crowd at Daniel-Meyer Colosseum before the game against UT-Pan American, Oct. 24, 1995.  

I remember this game, Chuck.  There were 500,000 fans, all wearing Neal Peart Underroos.  Kurt Thomas dunked a spaghetti squash during pre game warmups, and after the game we serenaded the crowd with our rendition of "MacArthur Park" sung in Portuguese, accompanied by a band of beavers playing kazoos made of pickles.

Men’s CBB is probably my favorite sport. Grew up going to University of Dayton games over Christmas break with my grandpa. 

I called him Sunday and first thing he says is “HOW BOUT THEM HORNED FROGS”. 

Exciting day indeed. Now let’s go win the whole damn thing!

12 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Men’s CBB is probably my favorite sport. Grew up going to University of Dayton games over Christmas break with my grandpa. 

I called him Sunday and first thing he says is “HOW BOUT THEM HORNED FROGS”. 

Exciting day indeed. Now let’s go win the whole damn thing!

I LIKE your grandpa!

2 hours ago, The Fake Billy Tubbs said:

after the game we serenaded the crowd with our rendition of "MacArthur Park" sung in Portuguese, accompanied by a band of beavers playing kazoos made of pickles.

Did someone bring the cake in? You know, from the rain?

There's a KU grad in our office.  I told him that for the first time ever, I would be doing a March Madness bracket and asked if he knew of anyone organizing a pool.

I also told him that I would be filling mine out based solely on emotion, so that it would be easy money for whoever let me participate.

21 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

There's a KU grad in our office.  I told him that for the first time ever, I would be doing a March Madness bracket and asked if he knew of anyone organizing a pool.

I also told him that I would be filling mine out based solely on emotion, so that it would be easy money for whoever let me participate.

Anyone doing a pool should be recruiting you and DTF.

1 hour ago, crunch said:

HA!  I did not know that was your favorite.  Awesome Grandpa.  

My dad, who is 83, is not a huge sports fan (other than going to 35 Indianapolis 500's), but follows sports.  (BTW - Hoosiers was right in his wheelhouse, graduated HS that year (North Salem (IN) School Blue Devils), played for a very small town school, but didn't make any playoffs.  Remembers the true story very well.)  He just had some C removed from his nose, and I called him to check on him, and he says "Your lizards are doing pretty good".  

My Grandpa just turned 84... he is a pretty big sports guy. I think I've said it before, but he got a cup of coffee for the Red's back in the 50's and toiled away in their minors for 7-8 years before my Grandma made him get a real job. He and Joe Nuxhall remained good buddies until the Ole Lefty died a few years back (was his minor league catcher for years).

He's had UD Basketball season tickets since 1958... pretty much a legend over there. The flyers are what kept my interest in college basketball for the years the Frogs were unwatchable. And the '99 Buckeye's (Final 4, but had to vacate) were fun for me too.

Does your dad still live in Baytown?

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I LIKE your grandpa!

Haha, he's a good dude. Retired back in 1985. I've never seen a man enjoy retirement more than him. He coached HS soccer until 2010 and was playing fast pitch softball until about 2011.

26 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Anyone doing a pool should be recruiting you and DTF.

I'm always a huge homer with my brackets. Sometimes it works out. Dayton making the elite 8 in 2014 is a good example.

Normally I fill out a homer bracket and then a regular bracket.

Bubble watch articles aren't as exciting now that we are a lock:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bubblewatch030218/final-tests-champ-week

https://theathletic.com/258421/2018/03/02/the-fieldhouse-bubble-watch-living-on-the-edge/

There is this blurb in the athletic:

Let's give it up for the Horned Frogs! As noted earlier this week in a piece about Pitt's stunning decline, TCU was one of two high-major programs in the past five seasons to go 0-18 in conference play. Now the Frogs are playing top-10 offense en route to their first NCAA Tournament berth since 1998. It seems that Jamie Dixon guy might know what he's doing after all. Pitt fans, your thoughts?

Last regular season game is Tech at 4:00 Saturday in Lubbock.  TV is ESPN2.

Tech is 16-1 at home this season with the only loss being to KU last Saturday by 2 pts.  They may or may not have Keenan Evans (turf toe) and Justin Gray (concussion) but both are seniors and I think Evans will play for sure. Gray will have only had one week in the concussion protocol so I think that's not likely  he will play based on my experience with 2 of my kids having a concussion.  Getting back in a week is pushing it.   They beat us by 12 when we played in FW but we actually out played them in the 2nd half after getting down by 24 in the first half.  We shot well but had 17 turnovers and let them shoot 51% and 45.5% from 3. 

If Evans doesn't play or isn't close to 100% like he hasn't been since they played Baylor, we have a shot.  They are 0-4 since the Evans injury with losses @ Baylor, @ OSU and @ WVU in addition to the home loss to KU.  However, I would still have to project this one as a loss.  Tech is 1st or 2nd in conference in every defensive metric and they are no slouches on offense either.  Add in the home court advantage and senior day and I think this one is going to be pretty hard to win.  If we do win, it should really help us in seeding since that will be a top 25 RPI win on the road.  

3 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Last regular season game is Tech at 4:00 Saturday in Lubbock.  TV is ESPN2.

Tech is 16-1 at home this season with the only loss being to KU last Saturday by 2 pts.  They may or may not have Keenan Evans (turf toe) and Justin Gray (concussion) but both are seniors and I think Evans will play for sure. Gray will have only had one week in the concussion protocol so I think that's not likely  he will play based on my experience with 2 of my kids having a concussion.  Getting back in a week is pushing it.   They beat us by 12 when we played in FW but we actually out played them in the 2nd half after getting down by 24 in the first half.  We shot well but had 17 turnovers and let them shoot 51% and 45.5% from 3. 

If Evans doesn't play or isn't close to 100% like he hasn't been since they played Baylor, we have a shot.  They are 0-4 since the Evans injury with losses @ Baylor, @ OSU and @ WVU in addition to the home loss to KU.  However, I would still have to project this one as a loss.  Tech is 1st or 2nd in conference in every defensive metric and they are no slouches on offense either.  Add in the home court advantage and senior day and I think this one is going to be pretty hard to win.  If we do win, it should really help us in seeding since that will be a top 25 RPI win on the road.  

I just want to play well, win or lose. I don't think a loss will affect our seed much. While a win would prob move us up slightly the seed ladder, at this point whether we are a 4, 5, 6, 7 seed probably doesn't matter. We just need to be playing with confidence heading into the tourney.  

18 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I just want to play well, win or lose. I don't think a loss will affect our seed much. While a win would prob move us up slightly the seed ladder, at this point whether we are a 4, 5, 6, 7 seed probably doesn't matter. We just need to be playing with confidence heading into the tourney.  

I agree.  Just playing close and then winning a game or 2 in the conference tourney will give our guys some confidence going into the Big Dance.  I would rather stay at a 6 seed and be in Dallas than move up to 5 and have to go somewhere else anyway.

We played well, we just couldn't hit on some open 3's.  We were 22% from the 3 pt line and a fair number of those misses were wide open.  Kenrich's shot near the end that went in and then rimmed out was particularly frustrating.  That's 2 games in a row where we have misfired from long range in a really bad way.  I hope they locate their shot before the tourney starts.  We're going to need it.