angelosfrog

TCU 2017-2018 Basketball

36 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

That was a lot of fun last night. Crowd really got into it in the last 10 minutes. Great win for these seniors. Glad that got a W in their last game at Schollmeier.

Sounded like the place was rocking, especially mid-second half when the action really picked up. Great atmosphere for the seniors to get their last win at home. Happy to hear you were there, SuperT.

30 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

That is unpossible.  I distinctly remember 100,000 people packing into the DMC back when Tubbs was winning our 20 consecutive national championships ...

Seriously, somebody is fake news. I found this old photo from the Skiff archives.

Whitehorsefinal.jpg

Billy Tubbs maneuvers his players on horseback into the crowd at Daniel-Meyer Colosseum before the game against UT-Pan American, Oct. 24, 1995.  

1 hour ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Win or lose we are locked into the 4/5 game, either against Baylor or KSU. So the Tech game has no significance for the Big 12 tourney. 

http://playoffstatus.com/big12basketball/big12standings.html

I’d probably prefer KSU over Baylor.  If that link is right, we win KSU wins (2 way tie with KSU for 4th) 

4 seed TCU

5 KSU

6 Baylor 

if we win and Baylor wins (sole possession of 4th) 

4 TCU

5 Baylor

6 KSU

if we lose and KSU wins (tie for 5th)

4 KSU

5 TCU

6 Baylor

if we lose and Baylor wins (three way tie for fourth)

4 TCU

5 Baylor

6 KSU

i guess if OU wins and Baylor loses there is a way for OU to sneak into the 6 seed. 

I would rather play Baylor.  I just don't think K State is a good match up for us.  They are physical and play really hard on defense.  I was at the game sitting fairly close to our basket in the second half and our guys were having a helluva time getting separation for an open shot.  Of course we blew some open shots when we had them too. Baylor has a couple of big rim protectors who make their defensive stats look better but they don't play defense as well as a team as K State does.  I haven't gone back and looked at all the games but the two games we have played against K State have to be two of our worst shooting games of the season.  44.2% from the field and 25% from from 3 last night and 41 and 31% in Manhattan.  Compare that to 49 and 40% in Waco and 54 and 37% against Baylor here.  Our season averages are 50 and 40%.  Baylor is a little bit better offensively than K State but not enough to scare me.  Our guards are just so much better than theirs are. 

By the way, it looks like Baylor is going to be our whipping boy for a while.  They graduate their top 4 scorers and I don't see an heir apparent for their PG Lecomte on the roster.  They have some young big guys with potential but they are really thin at guard.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

That is unpossible.  I distinctly remember 100,000 people packing into the DMC back when Tubbs was winning our 20 consecutive national championships ...

Thunderdome-998x663.jpg

Dixon is recovering TCU from the Johnson, Christian and Dougherty eras (when attendance tanked miserably), not the Tubbs era, when we were making the NCAA's and NIT's.   When basketball programs go downhill, like at 0-18 Pitt this year, attendance declines.  Attendance goes up when teams have winning records.  TCU's good eras were/are under Swaim, Killingsworth, Tubbs and Dixon.  I can see why memories may be faulty because virtually no one went to nor cared about basketball at TCU under Somerville, Dougherty, Christian or Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Jared said:

Dixon is recovering TCU from the Johnson, Christian and Dougherty eras (when attendance tanked miserably), not the Tubbs era, when we were making the NCAA's and NIT's.   When basketball programs go downhill, like at 0-18 Pitt this year, attendance declines.  Attendance goes up when teams have winning records.  TCU's good eras were/are under Swaim, Killingsworth, Tubbs and Dixon.  I can see why memories may be faulty because virtually no one went to nor cared about basketball at TCU under Somerville, Dougherty, Christian or Johnson.

picard-facepalm.jpg

4 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

picard-facepalm.jpg

Shake your head all you want Mr. poster who admittedly doesn't follow college basketball.  If you doubt what I said, please provide the records for TCU basketball under Dougherty, Christian and Johnson and the attendance figures for them as well.  Do you have any facts to back you up or are you just blathering?

TCU fans should rejoice that we are a lock for the NCAA's for the first time in 20 years, when Tubbs was our coach.  The lousy attendance occurred under other coaches and being in the Big12 now really helps attendance in addition to the winning under Dixon.

2 minutes ago, Jared said:

Shake your head all you want Mr. poster who admittedly doesn't follow college basketball.  If you doubt what I said, please provide the records for TCU basketball under Dougherty, Christian and Johnson and the attendance figures for them as well.  Do you have any facts to back you up or are you just blathering?

You need to stop 

Never saw a game under Dougherty.  I went to 2-3 games in the Jim Christian era.  One was to go see Kawhi Leonard with SDSU because I had heard he was going to be a big time NBA player.  We lost by like 20+ pts.  I didn't go back until his last season when we went .500 in the MWC.  It was a game against UNM and there was a pretty good crowd.  Probably 90% full for that game and we won so that was fun.  I think I also went one other game that season but I can't remember which one.  I went to a couple of games when Trent was coaching, both were at Wilkerson Grines.  We lost both (Baylor and SMU) but I could see that Kenrich, Vlad and Parrish had the potential to be pretty good Big 12 caliber players.  However, we couldn't hit shots from outside to save our lives.  Kyan Anderson carried that team on his back.  I'm not ready to commit to buying season tickets yet but I've made it to 3 games this season and 3-4 last year and I intend to keep going at least that often.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Thunderdome-998x663.jpg

Little known fact - The school was considering moving the basketball team to Texas Stadium to handle the crowds.

2 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Image result for king get along

Don't worry - Boston and I (usually) get along fine.  This is just a re-hash of an argument from the old FFF from 18 years ago.  There were some of us that predicted that running Tubbs out of town on a rail would tank the basketball program for decades and that's what happened.  We disappeared from TV, attendance was terrible and we became a laughingstock of college basketball, finishing last in multiple conferences year-after-year.  To see Tubbs being blamed for that now is not accurate and a re-write of history.  It has taken years and years and years to fight back from that utter debacle.  Dixon has the potential - like Patterson - to become the greatest TCU basketball coach ever, but he's competing against Killer and Swaim and Tubbs, not Dougherty, Christian or Johnson.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Today seems like an odd day for Frog fans to be bickering with one another.

We goin' dancin'

The problem lies in the fact that there are 2 different conversations going on.

17 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

You need to stop 

Its funnier if he doesnt.

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

Seriously, somebody is fake news. I found this old photo from the Skiff archives.

Whitehorsefinal.jpg

Billy Tubbs maneuvers his players on horseback into the crowd at Daniel-Meyer Colosseum before the game against UT-Pan American, Oct. 24, 1995.  

I remember this game, Chuck.  There were 500,000 fans, all wearing Neal Peart Underroos.  Kurt Thomas dunked a spaghetti squash during pre game warmups, and after the game we serenaded the crowd with our rendition of "MacArthur Park" sung in Portuguese, accompanied by a band of beavers playing kazoos made of pickles.

ESPN also has Duke in Charlotte, Kansas in Wichita and Mich St in Detroit.  UT may get to Dallas but they have to win a play in game against Providence first.  Other than that, I don't see anyone else getting favorable treatment geographically.  It's certainly not the norm for a 6 seed. 

Men’s CBB is probably my favorite sport. Grew up going to University of Dayton games over Christmas break with my grandpa. 

I called him Sunday and first thing he says is “HOW BOUT THEM HORNED FROGS”. 

Exciting day indeed. Now let’s go win the whole damn thing!

12 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Men’s CBB is probably my favorite sport. Grew up going to University of Dayton games over Christmas break with my grandpa. 

I called him Sunday and first thing he says is “HOW BOUT THEM HORNED FROGS”. 

Exciting day indeed. Now let’s go win the whole damn thing!

I LIKE your grandpa!

2 hours ago, The Fake Billy Tubbs said:

after the game we serenaded the crowd with our rendition of "MacArthur Park" sung in Portuguese, accompanied by a band of beavers playing kazoos made of pickles.

Did someone bring the cake in? You know, from the rain?

There's a KU grad in our office.  I told him that for the first time ever, I would be doing a March Madness bracket and asked if he knew of anyone organizing a pool.

I also told him that I would be filling mine out based solely on emotion, so that it would be easy money for whoever let me participate.

21 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

There's a KU grad in our office.  I told him that for the first time ever, I would be doing a March Madness bracket and asked if he knew of anyone organizing a pool.

I also told him that I would be filling mine out based solely on emotion, so that it would be easy money for whoever let me participate.

Anyone doing a pool should be recruiting you and DTF.