Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Very Nutritionally Yours

57 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I could drop meat easier than I could drop carbs.  Life without bread isn't worth living. 

I have no intention of dropping either ...

Carbs are love. I'm craving a big garlic sourdough loaf right now. 

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Carbs are love. I'm craving a big garlic sourdough loaf right now. 

I think the blood sugar increase from starches and sugars can be very addictive.

8 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

I think the blood sugar increase from starches and sugars can be very addictive.

They're instant energy.  In and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with them ... the body wants them because the body needs energy.  Many of the basic biological processes of life (human and otherwise) all revolve around converting sugars to energy.  The problem with our modern diets is that we shove so much extra sugar into our foods and eat so much of it.

Fat isn't bad for you.  Sugar isn't bad for you.  Too much fat and sugar are bad for you.  We just really struggle with regulating our intake compared to our energy needs.  Lord knows I do, at least ...

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

They're instant energy.  In and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with them ... the body wants them because the body needs energy.  Many of the basic biological processes of life (human and otherwise) all revolve around converting sugars to energy.  The problem with our modern diets is that we shove so much extra sugar into our foods and eat so much of it.

Fat isn't bad for you.  Sugar isn't bad for you.  Too much fat and sugar are bad for you.  We just really struggle with regulating our intake compared to our energy needs.  Lord knows I do, at least ...

The problem for me is that starches create more hunger and dips in energy.  When I stay away from starch and sugar I am less hungry and have more consistent energy.

Also, your body won't burn fat when it has available glucose.

19 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Is having over half a pound of large, quarter inch thick, very meaty squid rings dipped in egg and flour and deep fried OK for supper? 

Sounds like good protein, but you could bake them instead of deep fry.

40 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

The problem for me is that starches create more hunger and dips in energy.  When I stay away from starch and sugar I am less hungry and have more consistent energy.

Also, your body won't burn fat when it has available glucose.

To lose weight, you want your body to burn fat, definitely. Eating more healthy, saturated fats than carbs or protein is the way to go.

10 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Just consumed a crustless pizza...

What fun is that?

12 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

What fun is that?

My wife has made some pretty good cauliflower pizza crust.

I mostly view bread and tortillas as meat and cheese delivery systems 

• Upvote (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

My wife has made some pretty good cauliflower pizza crust.

I mostly view bread and tortillas as meat and cheese delivery systems 

And butter. Don't forget wonderful real butter.

5 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

And whipped cream 

491cc3df37f9fb01c47b72c05c65c80f.gif

On 2/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Real butter is 100000x better for you than fake butter.

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Real butter from 100% grass fed cows. Oh, my!

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

We used to eat real butter, then my oldest developed a milk allergy.  So, now we're back on the fake crap.

4 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

We used to eat real butter, then my oldest developed a milk allergy.  So, now we're back on the fake crap.

Can you buy goat milk products? They are usually non-allergic where cow products have been. Goat milk, cheese, and butter are dreamy.

Also, I've been using almond milk instead of dairy milk for the past six weeks and made the switch easily. It tastes good, although it's not as creamy as dairy milk. Plus, it's shelf stable before opening. Another good thing is the healthy fats from the almonds. 

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Can you buy goat milk products? They are usually non-allergic where cow products have been. Goat milk, cheese, and butter are dreamy.

Also, I've been using almond milk instead of dairy milk for the past six weeks and made the switch easily. It tastes good, although it's not as creamy as dairy milk. Plus, it's shelf stable before opening. Another good thing is the healthy fats from the almonds. 

Big fan of almond milk. Make my protein shakes with it. Can't do soy milk. Don't want the estrogen 

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, crunch said:

Love goat butter and cheese.  Not so much milk.  My Aunt had chickens, rabbits and goats on her small farm.  Occassionally a pig.    

How is pig milk?

Goat milk will have a funky taste if male goats are kept on the premises with the girls, which happens at nearly all large goat dairies. That's how you keep the ladies in milk, through breeding and then prolonging the milking period after the babies are weaned. If you can get your milk from a small dairy that only brings in the boys to breed in the driveway with the girls (common for closed herds who are careful about bio security), you normally don't get the funky taste in the milk. 

Pasteurization vs raw consumption also alters the taste. When the milk is heated to make it "safer", all the good nutrients and taste is taken out, IMO. Drink it raw if you can find it. 

Here's just one example of why organic produce is so much healthier for us. Conventionally grown strawberries are the dirtiest fruit/veg consumed by humans. Five hundred pounds per acre of noxious gas fertilizer is sprayed on strawberry fields in California, the US state with the most stringent laws for agriculture. And, that's just what's grown domestically. More of our strawberries come from Mexico, where agriculture is not as closely monitored. 

Pesticides + Poison Gases = Cheap, Year-Round Strawberries

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/mobile/

More good info...

The dirty dozen: Dirtiest produce due to pesticides

The clean(er) 15: Produce with less pesticide use (read this list from bottom to top)

Always choose organic to avoid ingesting harmful pesticides. Buy from the farm when you can, first confirming they follow organic practices. Or, grow your own if you can. Everyone loves strawberries and they're one of the easiest crops to grow. Same with tomatoes.

The food we put in our body directly affects our health. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm now down 20 lbs since starting this round of low carb eating and down 33 lbs from my heaviest when I quit my job at the lumber company in 2015.

• Upvote (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hfrog1999 said:

Down 30 for the year and 40 from the start of 2016

Damn, that's awesome! Congratulations. I lost 9 just from being sick for two weeks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 4/11/2017 at 0:03 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Damn, that's awesome! Congratulations. I lost 9 just from being sick for two weeks.

Uh, make that 13 pounds lost from being sick. Just got weighed at my doctor's office. Coughing is good exercise, I guess. 

A very interesting article link from DTF's mom about the recent coconut oil warning from the American Heart Association and how saturated fat and cholesterol (among other things) are not the enemy we've been lead to believe. Did you know the AHA is funded by Big Pharma?

The next study was completed over 40 years ago, but it wasn’t published because the results contradicted the prevailing dogma that saturated fat was bad and that LDL cholesterol caused heart disease. This was a study that could not be conducted today because it would be considered unethical. They fed 9,000 people in mental hospitals butter and saturated fats or corn oil (polyunsaturated vegetable oil, which the AHA report says we should eat more of). And, guess what? Those who ate the corn oil had more heart attacks and deaths, despite lowering their LDL cholesterol. Really? Yes, it’s true. In fact, for every 30-point drop in LDL the risk of heart attack went up 22 percent. To top it off a recent review of all the science on big bad butter looking at 6.5 million patient years of butter eating, researchers found that butter eaters had no increased risk of heart disease, but they did have decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. You read that right. Butter = lower risk of type 2 diabetes. And if you still need to be convinced, here’s a review of 17 meta-analyses (reviews of all the best and relevant research) showing no link between saturated fat and heart disease.

The whole idea that LDL cholesterol causes heart disease is the reason we have a multi-billion dollar statin industry. One study of over 130,000 people who had heart attacks over 5 years showed that 75 percent had normal LDL and 50 percent had optimal LDL cholesterol. But only 10 percent had normal HDL or the protective cholesterol. Guess what raises HDL? Saturated fat. And coconut oil raises it the most of any saturated fat. And what lowers it? A low-fat, high-starch, and high-sugar diet. We need cholesterol and saturated fat for the health of every cell membrane, for your brain cells, your sex hormones and more. Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, it is the band-aid that tries to repair the arteries when damage occurs from a low-fat, high-starch, high sugar diet. This causes pre-diabetes and inflammation from a processed food diet, environmental toxins, a bad gut from a low fiber, processed diet or anything that causes inflammation.

Before we get off saturated fats, here’s one BIG warning. They ARE a problem if you eat them in the context of a high-sugar, high-starch, processed foods diet. It’s what I call sweet fat. Stay away. No bagels and butter. No donuts or French fries. Stick with butter and broccoli.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2017/06/26/coconut-oil/