Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Very Nutritionally Yours

TFH Community,

My mom is a Registered Dietitian with 30 years experience who is starting to venture out on her own. She's recently started a blog and is doing some nutrition coaching. 

She's my mother, so I'm a bit biased. But I think her stuff is excellent. 

Feel free to give it a read.

http://verynutritionallyyours.com/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Congrats and best of luck to her!

I enjoyed her Ketonic Diet article 

The last time I successfully lost weight was on this diet 

9107.jpg

I NEED this! I was just thinking earlier this month that I wanted to ask my doctor about sending me to a nutritionist to help me get the inflammation in my body under control. Thanks for sharing, DTF.

I'm conducting somewhat of a personal experiment.

My new job provided me with a fitness tracker which allows me to track my calories and activity.

For the first 2 months I worked on keeping my calorie intake to less than 500 under what I burned.  I did not have much success in losing weight.

I'm now watching my carb intake instead of total calories and I'll compare the 2 approaches 

1 hour ago, Hfrog1999 said:

I'm conducting somewhat of a personal experiment.

My new job provided me with a fitness tracker which allows me to track my calories and activity.

For the first 2 months I worked on keeping my calorie intake to less than 500 under what I burned.  I did not have much success in losing weight.

I'm now watching my carb intake instead of total calories and I'll compare the 2 approaches 

My experience with weight loss is that the number of calories you "burn" at least according to the fitness apps is almost irrelevant.  The first time I was marathon training, I put on 5 pounds even though according to my fitness tracker I was burning sometimes twice as many calories as it was consuming. 

The thing that worked for me was rigorously adhering to a 1500 calorie or less diet.  

3 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

My experience with weight loss is that the number of calories you "burn" at least according to the fitness apps is almost irrelevant.  The first time I was marathon training, I put on 5 pounds even though according to my fitness tracker I was burning sometimes twice as many calories as it was consuming. 

The thing that worked for me was rigorously adhering to a 1500 calorie or less diet.  

Yeah, I suspect that they either over estimate calorie burn, under estimate consumption or both.

I'm trying to follow the ketogenic eating plan in the blog link DTF posted originally. I've read about it before from dieticians and nutritionists and it absolutely makes sense...eat a low carb, moderate protein, and high healthy fats diet so your body can produce ketones to burn fat. It's been hard to cut way down on the carbs, and I've actually felt nauseous while getting used to the change. It's also a challenge to eat the amount of good fats they recommend. I think it's helping, though. My clothes feel looser (I don't have scales to weigh myself). The thing is, you have to approach it as a lifestyle change, rather than a periodic diet. 

3 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I'd be so hungry and grumpy all the time. I probably consume 3,000 calories a day. Maybe more.

58 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm trying to follow the ketogenic eating plan in the blog link DTF posted originally. I've read about it before from dieticians and nutritionists and it absolutely makes sense...eat a low carb, moderate protein, and high healthy fats diet so your body can produce ketones to burn fat. It's been hard to cut way down on the carbs, and I've actually felt nauseous while getting used to the change. It's also a challenge to eat the amount of good fats they recommend. I think it's helping, though. My clothes feel looser (I don't have scales to weigh myself). The thing is, you have to approach it as a lifestyle change, rather than a periodic diet. 

Exactly... and its good to hear you haven't cut carbs completely. A little brown rice or black beans are good for you.

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I'd be so hungry and grumpy all the time. I probably consume 3,000 calories a day. Maybe more.

This would be me with that caloric intake:

1823413-fat_bastard_large.jpg

If I'm in maintenance mode, I can generally be in the 1700-2000 range and stay roughly stable.  But if I need to lose weight, I've definitely got to be under 1700.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

This would be me with that caloric intake:

1823413-fat_bastard_large.jpg

If I'm in maintenance mode, I can generally be in the 1700-2000 range and stay roughly stable.  But if I need to lose weight, I've definitely got to be under 1700.

granted, I'm only 30... but I'm basically the exact same size I was in HS... Most of my buddies can't say the same thing.

Good genes. My Grandpa was ripped until he was in his early 60s (still fit in his early 80s). 

4 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Exactly... and its good to hear you haven't cut carbs completely. A little brown rice or black beans are good for you.

Yeah, although what I'd prefer to have for carbs is breakfast cereal or toast and then a sandwich for lunch. But, I'm learning. I just baked a salmon fillet and steamed some rainbow carrots and cauliflower for lunch. It's such a perk to be able to get good fish here all the time. Plus, the produce I can buy is always awesome.

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Yeah, although what I'd prefer to have for carbs is breakfast cereal or toast and then a sandwich for lunch. But, I'm learning. I just baked a salmon fillet and steamed some rainbow carrots and cauliflower for lunch. It's such a perk to be able to get good fish here all the time. Plus, the produce I can buy is always awesome.

I do best on a low carb diet 

b8f68110fbbc4cfca67299ce37f1318094651fe9

However if I eat a little bit of sugar or starch,  it's on and I can't stop

raw

I also have trouble sticking to it in stressful times 

raw

That's the same for me. If I skip sweets for a few days and then give in and have ice cream, it better just be a cone while I'm out. Otherwise, if I've got a tub of it at home I'll eat it all in one sitting.

Been no carbing since Labor Day - except during the Christmas break.  Cant pass up the mother in law's homemade tamales.  Down about 30.

• Upvote (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Been no carbing since Labor Day - except during the Christmas break.  Cant pass up the mother in law's homemade tamales.  Down about 30.

You can down about 30 tamales? I could! ?

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.askdrmaxwell.com/2014/04/symptoms-carbohydrate-intolerance/amp/

Carbohydrate intolerance can result in a condition called hyperinsulinemia, which causes your body to become ineffective at managing the sugars and starches in your diet. When you eat a carbohydrate, say a piece of bread or a slice of cake, your pancreas should release just the right amount of insulin to assimilate and process that sugar. 

Hyperinsulinemia causes your pancreas to release too much insulin for the amount of carbohydrate consumed. Continued release of excess insulin results in sugar being processed too quickly and blood glucose levels to dip to noticeable lows. This condition is called hypoglycemia and often accounts for that jittery, anxious, (and even angry) feeling you get when you don’t eat regularly.

accounts for that jittery, anxious, (and even angry) feeling you get when you don’t eat regularly.

I thought that was called "hangry".

In 2 weeks of eating low carb I've lost 10 lbs and 4% body fat.

How have you cut down on carbs? Less bread, sugar, what?

41 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

How have you cut down on carbs? Less bread, sugar, what?

I don't eat bread or sugar.

I only eat meat and vegetables.  I don't drink beer.  I drink liquor or wine.

A typical day for me would be scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.  A bun less hamburger for lunch.  Chicken, Fish, or Steak for dinner along with Green Beans and/or broccoli.  If I drink it's either whiskey or a gin ? 

I feel great eating this way.  I've lost over 50 lbs in the past with it. I fail when stress or holidays tempt me into eating bread or sugar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 2/12/2017 at 9:07 AM, Hfrog1999 said:

I don't eat bread or sugar.

I only eat meat and vegetables.  I don't drink beer.  I drink liquor or wine.

A typical day for me would be scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.  A bun less hamburger for lunch.  Chicken, Fish, or Steak for dinner along with Green Beans and/or broccoli.  If I drink it's either whiskey or a gin ? 

I feel great eating this way.  I've lost over 50 lbs in the past with it. I fail when stress or holidays tempt me into eating bread or sugar.

So you're basically doing Paleo... a good way to drop weight and feel better.

For me, I NEED carbs. So I do basically what you do, but I'll eat beans and rice too.

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

So you're basically doing Paleo... a good way to drop weight and feel better.

For me, I NEED carbs. So I do basically what you do, but I'll eat beans and rice too.

I don't eat potatoes either.

I could drop meat easier than I could drop carbs.  Life without bread isn't worth living. 

I have no intention of dropping either ...