Sign in to follow this  
FeistyFrog

SI: Bob Stoops's true standards come into light with Joe Mixon video QUICKLY

I hope the press doesn't let up on him and Boren for a long time, disgusting.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/16/bob-stoops-joe-mixon-video-assault?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Saturday December 17th, 2016

So, Bob Stoops, was it worth it?

I watched the video Friday afternoon of Oklahoma Sooners running back Joe Mixon hitting Amelia Molitor, the video we’d all heard about for three years, the video you and your bosses watched and basically shrugged off. You remember that video, right? (You lucked out! If you don’t recall the details, it’s now available online for everyone to see. Here’s a link, if you don’t have one handy.) You all watched that video and decided that yes, this was a young man you wanted representing your program. You decided a redshirt season year’s suspension would help him get bigger/faster/stronger be sufficient punishment.

I watched Mixon’s fist connect with the side of Molitor’s head and I gagged reflexively. I thought I was going to throw up right there, in my car, in the Costco parking lot, as I watched this despicable act of violence play out. I’d heard it was bad, and jarring. It was so much worse than I imagined. But I swallowed the reality that women aren’t valued in our society, and kept watching, just like you, athletic director Joe Castiglione and president David Boren did a few years ago. No wonder so many people fought behind the scenes to keep this video under wraps. How can anyone move forward after this? Oh wait, I remember: You’re both scheduled to participate in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.

4 hours ago, TCaliU said:

Was just about to post a similar story from Fox sports. How do we have at least 2 schools with such low standards in our conference. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-bob-stoops-joe-mixon-video-121716

Your problem is you are not holding to the correct standard: Winning percentage.

On 12/17/2016 at 6:27 PM, TCaliU said:

Was just about to post a similar story from Fox sports. How do we have at least 2 schools with such low standards in our conference. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-bob-stoops-joe-mixon-video-121716

"Our conference"?  What?  I wish it was remarkable that our conference has such low standards.

This sort of misbehavior/coverup is hardly limited to the Big Twelve--  Winston at FSU comes to mind immediately.

I'm sure that anyone doing a quick media search (not me; too lazy) could find dozens of stories, maybe not with as many broken bones but bad enough, involving programs all over the place and in just about every D1 conference and some lower division ones as well.

And a "media search" would of course only turn up stories that were not successfully buried.  That is an SECSEC specialty, deep-sixing stuff member institutions don't want public.

17 minutes ago, froginaustin said:

"Our conference"?  What?  I wish it was remarkable that our conference has such low standards.

This sort of misbehavior/coverup is hardly limited to the Big Twelve--  Winston at FSU comes to mind immediately.

If the public only knew what went on with coverups involved with Winston, what happened at Baylor and OU would pale in comparison.  

I'm going to play devils advocate here and will probably ruffle some feathers, but here we go.

He hit her, HARD. I am of the school of "never hit a woman". But I see two things here:

1) I have a little sister who is 14 years younger than me, no, I'm not a parent, but I have taken that role in this young womans life. I tell her, you don't want to get hit by a man? Don't lay your hands on him first. That will solve 50% of domestic violence, IMO. She instigated and hit him first, then went for the neck. Doesn't give him the right to knock her lights out. But its not like he cold clocked her from behind.

2) Lets say she did say something "racist" to him (I bet that didn't actually happen and hes playing victim) but lets just say she said "Come here stupid N-word" or something of the like. Where are all the social justice warriors on that one? Say it was the other way around and he called her a "dumb white girl" then she hit him? Bet you anything this wasn't the first time she's laid hands on someone else. Be it a male or a female. 

To me there is a double standard. He fled the scene like a little punk, and got arrested, rightfully so. But I feel like a lot of people are saying "this dude should rot in hell." I see it as one idiot, hitting another idiot, then idiot 1 getting knocked out.

I blame bad parenting and society, in that order. On both sides. 

56 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I'm going to play devils advocate here and will probably ruffle some feathers, but here we go.

He hit her, HARD. I am of the school of "never hit a woman". But I see two things here:

1) I have a little sister who is 14 years younger than me, no, I'm not a parent, but I have taken that role in this young womans life. I tell her, you don't want to get hit by a man? Don't lay your hands on him first. That will solve 50% of domestic violence, IMO. She instigated and hit him first, then went for the neck. Doesn't give him the right to knock her lights out. But its not like he cold clocked her from behind.

2) Lets say she did say something "racist" to him (I bet that didn't actually happen and hes playing victim) but lets just say she said "Come here stupid N-word" or something of the like. Where are all the social justice warriors on that one? Say it was the other way around and he called her a "dumb white girl" then she hit him? Bet you anything this wasn't the first time she's laid hands on someone else. Be it a male or a female. 

To me there is a double standard. He fled the scene like a little punk, and got arrested, rightfully so. But I feel like a lot of people are saying "this dude should rot in hell." I see it as one idiot, hitting another idiot, then idiot 1 getting knocked out.

I blame bad parenting and society, in that order. On both sides. 

Playing devil's advocate, I'm not sure that pushing someone away constitutes "laying hands on him first". Your reality may vary.

39 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Playing devil's advocate, I'm not sure that pushing someone away constitutes "laying hands on him first". Your reality may vary.

It looks to me that he was turning to leave, she jumped up and assaulted him with a push, he lunged at her, then she went for his throat and he cold cocked her.

Now, I'm from the old fashioned school that a man should never hit a woman.  I think Mixon's a dirt bag.

Do others think it's okay to fight back at a certain point?  What is the proper response to someone pushing you and then attempting to choke you?

20 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

I agree.

However, if a man pushes me like that and goes for my throat I'm beating the living hell out of him.

Different scenario.  But, I would go that route too.  I would likely get knocked the hell out though. 

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I mean she tried to choke him... I've have a woman lunge at my neck before. Took everything in me to not instinctively hit... 

Thank goodness sanity set in almost instantly. Not so much for Mixon.

41 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I mean she tried to choke him... I've have a woman lunge at my neck before. Took everything in me to not instinctively hit... 

Thank goodness sanity set in almost instantly. Not so much for Mixon.

OK. You and Mixon must have very small pencil necks, I guess, that a not overly large girl can "choke" either of you with one hand! But since you both do, I guess further thinking about violence is in order.

9 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

OK. You and Mixon must have very small necks, I guess, that a not overly large girl can "choke" either of you with one hand! But since you both do, I guess further thinking about violence is in order.

I agree that Mixon's actions were vile and he shouldn't be playing football.

My question is broader though.  At what point is it acceptable for a man to physically defend himself against a woman?

Are men always supposed to just allow women to hit them?  

Asking for a friend.  

12 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

I agree that Mixon's actions were vile and he shouldn't be playing football.

My question is broader though.  At what point is it acceptable for a man to physically defend himself against a woman?

Are men always supposed to just allow women to hit them?  

Asking for a friend.  

Always defend yourself.  Never hit.

6 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

OK. You and Mixon must have very small pencil necks, I guess, that a not overly large girl can "choke" either of you with one hand! But since you both do, I guess further thinking about violence is in order.

Kudos to you for only surrounding yourself around sane. Petite women. 

Never said violence was okay. Get over yourself.