Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Feeling Froggy

The Nerdy Programs/Apps Thread

Recommended Posts

I use Here We Go! Maps. Or Here! Or whatever Audi/Mercedes Benz/whoever owns it now (originally was Nokia's toy) is calling it this week, but I am not sure if it does what you are after. I haven't tried multiple points on it, and have only used it on the phone, and have not attempted any handshaking with the computer. It does work beautifully offline (provided you download the maps beforehand), and I love the British lady that tells me when to turn.

https://here.com/en

 

This appears to do the trick, but it is still using Google Maps as the backbone, so probably not what you are looking for either...  https://www.mapcustomizer.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Is there a mapping app like GoogleMaps used to be where you can plot a driving route with multiple points on your computer and then the app shows it on your phone? GMs is trash now; you can't even save the map you make. I'm looking for something I can plot each day's drive, with directions, for a multiple-day road trip. TIA.

 

There's an app just like that.  It's called Google Maps.  

 

You have to make sure that you're logged into your google account on the computer and on GM on your iPhone (I think I remember you having an iPhone).  The on the phone, in GM, go to "Settings" > "Notifications" > Turn on "Sent from desktop maps".  

After that, if you're on google maps on your desktop, put in the addresses like normal, and above the listed directions, there's a link to "Send directions to your phone".  On your GM app on your phone, you'll see a little blue circle that says "GO" in the bottom right.

 

Is that what you're trying to accomplish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done all that, but what I want to do is start building an itinerary for a road trip and save it in GM while I add to it. Once I'm done, then I'd like to send it to my phone. GM used to let you save itineraries this way and name them and even add notes, but apparently no more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Is there a mapping app like GoogleMaps used to be where you can plot a driving route with multiple points on your computer and then the app shows it on your phone? GMs is trash now; you can't even save the map you make. I'm looking for something I can plot each day's drive, with directions, for a multiple-day road trip. TIA.

 

I've been using InRoute.  Not perfect, but it's the least sucky of the options I've found so far.  The upgrade cost $5 or so and allows you to program unlimited waypoints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I think you still can.  I just opened one that I made for Mrs. Duq when she was making a solo trip to Texas several years ago.  You just save it as a 'My Map'.  Can you not do what you want to do here?: https://www.google.com/maps/d/

Nope, can't do that any longer and that's exactly what I want to do. I guess GM had an upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

 

I've been using InRoute.  Not perfect, but it's the least sucky of the options I've found so far.  The upgrade cost $5 or so and allows you to program unlimited waypoints.

Thanks! I'll play around with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FF--I know you lean to Mozilla web browsers, as do I (although I've been a bit disappointed in Waterfox the past few updates), but for about 6-7 months I've been playing with Brave (created by an ex-Mozilla guru and based on Chrome).

  • It is super-fast
  • It kills ads without any add-ons or extensions
  • It does not hog resources...BUT...
  • It does not play nice with some websites (such as a web mail site I use)
  • It is not great at handling bookmarks

It's still at version 0.17.16 or so, which means its developers recognize there's still some work to do, but so far I rather like it.

 

Any experience/input to offer about Brave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FrogAbroad said:

FF--I know you lean to Mozilla web browsers, as do I (although I've been a bit disappointed in Waterfox the past few updates), but for about 6-7 months I've been playing with Brave (created by an ex-Mozilla guru and based on Chrome).

  • It is super-fast
  • It kills ads without any add-ons or extensions
  • It does not hog resources...BUT...
  • It does not play nice with some websites (such as a web mail site I use)
  • It is not great at handling bookmarks

It's still at version 0.17.16 or so, which means its developers recognize there's still some work to do, but so far I rather like it.

 

Any experience/input to offer about Brave?

None at all, as this is the first time I have even heard of it. Both Waterfox and Firefox have been wearing on my nerves lately. 

 

The big issue for me on reading your run down of Brave's features is how much Chromium exists under the hood, and how does it handle memory? Does it consolidate all tabs into one running process, or does it generate a new process each time you open a tab?

 

I typically have about 75+ tabs running in Waterfox at once (I might be a bit of a power user and do a little multitasking), and see around 12GB of memory allocated to it. Ages ago, when I was playing around with Chrome and Iron before saying screw this, I noticed that around 30 tabs would clutter Task Manager's process tab and memory usage would be north of 16GB. It seems like a single tab does handle the memory allocation better in Chromium stuff, but start multitasking, and the advantage goes to Waterfox. Firefox still has its 1.5GB limitation, so that is the worst of the three.

 

I will have to check Brave out, though. Thanks for the tip on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Holy cow! 75 tabs?!! I get confused having more than four or five open at one time. You're either insanely adept at multitasking or just insane. 

I am going to say probably both. 

 

Usually have about 50+ of that filled with demensional drawings and technical documents of some kind - work related reference material. About 10 or so involves "shopping list" tabs; stuff I am considering purchasing, but not serious enough about to log into the online store and add to a basket at the moment. The bulk of the remainder is compromised of the two forums I frequent, along with guest viewing other forum threads for particular answers to various questions. 

 

Depending on what work I am actually doing at the time, I might have a stream of a show running, but generally not. No Facebook, Twitter or other social media, and I do not ever watch anything on YouTube in the browser, unless it is embedded in a separate site's page. (And then only long enough to copy the video link.) Email gets pushed to the phone with notifications, and I either view it in the phone or open a tab and log in, reply and close.

 

Tab Groups is my friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, a quick Wireshark audit of the packet traffic while using (stock - no plugins/extensions) Brave says that Google (172.217.11.234 specifically) is still being sent information (no clue on what kind of information, just that calls are being made to Google), even when their services aren't being used. I am certain that it was Brave doing it because this computer doesn't send data to Google unless a Google owned site is in use. I didn't investigate it any further, but it seemed to have promise. However, it seems it is not the answer for my requirements or demands and has been removed from the virtual machine I installed it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, FF, for the report.

 

Firefox still is my fave, although on an older 32-bit machine it has some issues I cannot replicate anywhere else.  That said, the newer versions of Opera have drawn me back to that browser for some activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FrogAbroad said:

Thanks, FF, for the report.

 

Firefox still is my fave, although on an older 32-bit machine it has some issues I cannot replicate anywhere else.  That said, the newer versions of Opera have drawn me back to that browser for some activities.

I have always had a couple of soft spots for Firefox's daddy, Netscape Navigator, and Opera. Of course NN was dead in the water once AOHell took over, but I used Opera for a long time until it just turned bloated and not what it started out as. I (think, it has been a while) Opera 6.3 was the last version I used. I need to look at it again, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I have always had a couple of soft spots for Firefox's daddy, Netscape Navigator, and Opera. Of course NN was dead in the water once AOHell took over, but I used Opera for a long time until it just turned bloated and not what it started out as. I (think, it has been a while) Opera 6.3 was the last version I used. I need to look at it again, I suppose.

 

Our browser histories, if not congruent, are at least very similar.  Like most PC users I began, and rather quickly grew disenchanted, with IE, then went to NN.  Opera was next, back in the day when one had to pay for it, which I gladly did.  Then came Firefox.  I've flirted with Maxathon and Vivaldi and maybe a couple of others.  I got back to Opera at v.48 or so and was happy to see it is definitely an improvement over what I'd given up on years before.  But still, Firefox is my go-to browser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit that there are plenty of quirks to Firefox (and to a much lesser degree, Waterfox on Windows and 64 bit Firefox on Linux) that annoy me, but at the end of the day, I have not been able to find anything that replaces the core program as my default browser. (And the mobile version seems to be equally as solid as its big brother.)

 

I suppose I should accept the quirks as the price of doing business and be content, but the tinkerer in me must keep tweaking things and searching for my idea of a perfect browser. And through the years I have tried so many of them that I have forgotten the names of the majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Because of you, FA, I've been using Firefox for several months and like it a lot more than Chrome, which I used for years after ditching IE. I have way fewer crashes now with FF. 

 

I tried Chrome, but...I just didn't like it enough to stay with it.  Oh, I'm no technician and I can't explain the how's and the why's, I just know I can work better with Firefox than with any other browser I've used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FrogAbroad said:

 

I tried Chrome, but...I just didn't like it enough to stay with it.  Oh, I'm no technician and I can't explain the how's and the why's, I just know I can work better with Firefox than with any other browser I've used.

I'm going to switch to FF on my phone, too. Currently using Chrome and Safari and they are both so s-l-o-w. Could also be that my phone is just worn out after five years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm going to switch to FF on my phone, too. Currently using Chrome and Safari and they are both so s-l-o-w. Could also be that my phone is just worn out after five years. 

 

I don't do much browsing on my phone (a Galaxy J3) so I just use the built-in Samsung browser...it does the job for me.  However, I have a ZTE K88 tablet with 4G and I use Opera Mini on it, and it is sooo fast!  If I ever need more "browser power" on the cell I'll try Opera Mini first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×