Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Radio Shack Killa

Bowl season

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I would have picked Leach to win the game anyway, but really liking WSU now, especially if the Gophers go through with it and forfeit via the boycott.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

 

 

Wouldnt be a forfeit.  Northern Illinois would be the replacement for Minnesota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TCaliU said:

That article jumped all over the place, so players were accused of sexual assualt and then kicked off the team and now the team wants them back or they wont play?

 

That the gist of it?

More or less. Supposedly some woman went to a party at a player's house. She consented to boinking with him. He videoed it, and it looked like nobody was objecting. She then pressed charges on him and 9 other teammates for gangrape. Cops investigate, find nothing, she recants, charges are dropped and everyone is allowed back on the team. Then the University kicks them all off the team.

 

It is all a jumbled mess, not just the writing of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I think strike here would have been the more accurate word. Workers/slave do not boycott. They strike. But for some reason--I can't imagine why--they preferred the other word.

Maybe.  The original "boycotters" were Irish tenant farmers who refused to work the land for Charles Boycott, a land agent for Lord Erne in Ireland.  Prices were falling and Erne offered the farmers a 10% discount but they had demanded 25% and after Parnell's speech, they decided not to work for the "unfair" amount.  And they organized the entire community to boycott Boycott as well - so much so that he couldn't buy or sell anything to anyone.  If the Minnesota players had convinced the entire community to join them, it would have been a boycott like the original forebearer.  Instead, the limited action more resembled a strike.  I suspect they used the word "boycott" initially as a means to garner wider support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SDSU takes the lead over UH off a Pumphrey 32 yard run. 13-10, 3:00 left in the 3rd.

 

And now 20-10. Aztecs starting to roll with a pick-six.

 

Pumphrey needed 11 yards for the career rush record. He just busted a 15 yard run.

 

8:58 left in the game, Aztecs up 27-10.

 

1:11 left and SDSU tacks on another. 34-10.

 

Greg Ward interception #4 leads to Aztecs taking the victory formation and final, 34-10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jared said:

Maybe.  The original "boycotters" were Irish tenant farmers who refused to work the land for Charles Boycott, a land agent for Lord Erne in Ireland.  Prices were falling and Erne offered the farmers a 10% discount but they had demanded 25% and after Parnell's speech, they decided not to work for the "unfair" amount.  And they organized the entire community to boycott Boycott as well - so much so that he couldn't buy or sell anything to anyone.  If the Minnesota players had convinced the entire community to join them, it would have been a boycott like the original forebearer.  Instead, the limited action more resembled a strike.  I suspect they used the word "boycott" initially as a means to garner wider support. 

Charles Boycott. You made that name up. So, who started labor unions? Jim Bob Union? Phineas J. Labor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

Charles Boycott. You made that name up. So, who started labor unions? Jim Bob Union? Phineas J. Labor? 

LOL.  A simple google search will tell you the history of Charles Boycott and how the word developed after the Irish tenant farmers' boycott against Boycott.  And don't confuse the history of the word and the history of the thing.  Boycotts existed before the one against Boycott - they were just called different things, such as embargoes.  Ponzi schemes existed before Ponzi in the 20's, Enron-style accounting existed prior to Enron in the 90's, they were just called different things, like pyramid schemes and cooking the books.  Unions date back to Roman times, but they were called guilds and other things (even freemasonry was similar to unions for awhile) - the use of the word "union" dates to the U.K. in the 17th century when activism associated with the beginnings of the industrial revolution commenced.  There may have been a "Jim Bob" involved, but I doubt it.

 

This thread is about the bowl season though - how bout them Aztecs and Donnel Pumphrey?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Both Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery have decided to sit out their bowl games and begin prepping for the draft.

 

 

 

The beginning of an interesting trend.  Players were clearly paying attention when Jaylon Smith blew out his knee at the Fiesta Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

 Both Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery have decided to sit out their bowl games and begin prepping for the draft.

 

 

 

The beginning of an interesting trend.  Players were clearly paying attention when Jaylon Smith blew out his knee at the Fiesta Bowl.

I guess if it's not a playoff game, it's not worth playing. The long, slow downfall of college football has begun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×