Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

Three Referees you won’t be seeing in the B12 next year:

Reggie Smith is moving to the B10.

Mike (Guns) DeFee is leaving the field to work for Walt Anderson in the NFL.

Cooper Castleberry is retiring.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

We met Reggie at a steakhouse in West Lafayette, IN the night before the Purdue game.  The whole game crew was coming in for supper.

Not as big a thrill as meeting Zebra, of course, but still...

Did Reggie call the 2013 Tech game? If it was him, that is the only issue I can remember having with his game calling, and see it as a major loss for the B12. DeFee is as well.

Not sad to see Cooper go, though.

Not a nicer guy around than Cooper.

A 4th is leaving as well.

Brandon Cruse to the NFL as an on field official.

B12 has hired from the PAC 16, CUSA, and promoted from the MWC so far.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Paywalled:

It’s official: PGA Tour moves Colonial to June but no party for fans

The Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial Country Club is expected to restart the PGA Tour’s season in June.

Golf’s sanctioning body officially announced its new schedule plans on Thursday morning with the Colonial being pushed back three weeks to the week of June 8-14. The caveat is the tournament is expected to be closed to the general public.

“We’re excited. This is good news,” said Rob Hood, the tournament’s chairman. “We certainly don’t want the event to be canceled. We’ve been doing this for a long time. It’s unfortunate that right now it’s without any fans, but we’re just excited that we’re planning to have the tournament.”

Again, PGA Tour and tournament officials stressed that this is the “plan” and, as with everything amid the coronavirus pandemic, is subject to change. Still, it’s positive news for now.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/golf/article242041046.html

• Like (+1) 1

I fully expect to watch the final few holes while enjoying breakfast at the reopened Honolulu Country Club Grill Room, waving to familiar faces from a reasonable but safe distance. 

Had to edit this.  For some reason the quote pulled a column of odd characters in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Only posting this because of LT....

• Like (+1) 1

NCAA enforcement office calls Kansas' violations 'egregious, severe'

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile basketball recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas that the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations -- the most serious -- including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

"The institution secured significant recruiting and competitive advantages by committing alleged Level I men's basketball violations. The institution, in taking its defiant posture in the case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severe

So Boise State gets the Death Penalty? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 5/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, frogtwang said:

So Boise State gets the Death Penalty? 

They should have..... they gave a recruit a snickers bar! 

• Haha  (+1) 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, PurpleDawg said:

NCAA enforcement office calls Kansas' violations 'egregious, severe'

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile basketball recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas that the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations -- the most serious -- including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

"The institution secured significant recruiting and competitive advantages by committing alleged Level I men's basketball violations. The institution, in taking its defiant posture in the case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severe

Kansas fans are really annoying. They do this cheer clap combo. 

2 hours ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

Kansas fans are really annoying. They do this cheer clap combo. 

Apparently, according to the article, they are defiantly indifferent to how annoying they are! 

How are you and your family doing? Hope the little one is well!

Watch the dive for the goal line at the end. I think this rates as well as our "Hide a Frog in the EZ" play.

• Like (+1) 1