Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

The Summer Olympics officially have a new starting date after their postponement.  The games will begin on July 23, 2021 - almost exactly a year after they were originally scheduled (the opening ceremonies were slated for July 24th of this summer).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Division I Council extends eligibility for student-athletes impacted by COVID-19

Schools can authorize an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility

The Division I Council on Monday voted to allow schools to provide spring-sport student-athletes an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility.

Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-i-council-extends-eligibility-student-athletes-impacted-covid-19

And, looky here! We'll be stacked next year!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

And, looky here! We'll be stacked next year!

Except that isn't even close to fair for the other 3 classes losing a year of eligiblity.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Except that isn't even close to fair for the other 3 classes losing a year of eligiblity.

Maybe I misunderstood the news from yesterday.  I thought that the extra year of eligibility applied to all spring sport athletes, not just seniors.

13 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

We'll be stacked next year!

Errrrrbody gonna be stacked next year.  College baseball, as a whole, is going to be extremely deep and competitive the next few seasons.

• Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Maybe I misunderstood the news from yesterday.  I thought that the extra year of eligibility applied to all spring sport athletes, not just seniors.

This is what I understand, too.

• Thanks (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

26 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

This is what I understand, too.

If that is the case, then great, they all deserve it. I only skimmed through it, so it is very likely I misunderstood.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On the golf front, it sounds like the British Open is now canceled - but that the US Open is being (tentatively) rescheduled for September and the Masters for November.

Can't tell what this means for Colonial.  As far as I understand, it's still scheduled as usual.

• Like (+1) 1

Despite the NCAA's decision to let spring-sports seniors return next season, WIsconsin has announced that they will not be bringing theirs back.  LINK to ESPN story.

There will likely be other schools joining the Badgers in this trend.  We've got to be vigilant in making sure TCU does not follow suit.  If money to pay for extra scholarships is a concern, raising it should take precendence over any other development priority - not just athletically, but campus-wide.  I'll give Donati, Boschini and company the benefit of the doubt that they'll do right by our student-athletes, but we should be prepared to speak up if they exhibit any signs of wavering on this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I'll give Donati, Boschini and company the benefit of the doubt that they'll do right by our student-athletes, but we should be prepared to speak up if they exhibit any signs of wavering on this.

I would be shocked if they do otherwise and my support of TCU Athletics would end immediately.

Some 72% of Americans polled said they would not attend if sporting events resumed without a vaccine for the coronavirus. The poll, which had a fairly small sample size of 762 respondents, was released Thursday by Seton Hall University's Stillman School of Business.

When polling respondents who identified as sports fans, 61% said they would not go to a game without a vaccine. The margin of error is plus-or-minus 3.6%.

Only 12% of all respondents said they would go to games if social distancing could be maintained, which would likely lead to a highly reduced number of fans, staff and media at games.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29018209/poll-fans-attend-games-vaccine