Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

Reddit is on fire with the reactions to the KU/Snoopy performance reactions. This one is hilarious:

Bill Self during the performance:

giphy.gif

• Haha  (+1) 2

Y'all are finally getting some relief down there! (Yes, this is sports related if you're attending the Cowboys game today.)

• Like (+1) 1

I think even *I* could have figured out this was a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Mary Hardin-Baylor to vacate 2016 Division III championship

BELTON, Texas (AP) -- The NCAA has ordered Mary Hardin-Baylor to vacate its 2016 Division III national championship because the head football coach let a player use his car for more than 18 months, which was determined to be an improper benefit for a student-athlete.

The NCAA announced its findings Thursday and said it would vacate any victories in which ineligible athletes played. The school said that would include 29 victories over the 2016-2017 seasons and the 2016 championship, a 10-7 win over Wisconsin-Oshkosh. School officials said they will appeal that punishment.

The NCAA said coach Pete Fredenburg loaned a player his 2006 Subaru for the 2016-2017 seasons. He then loaned it to another player, but the car broke down within an hour and had to be towed.

Fredenburg said in a statement he ''unintentionally'' broke the rules. He was previously suspended by the school for three months without pay and sat out the first three games of the 2018 season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mary-hardin-baylor-vacate-2016-division-iii-championship-191133415--ncaaf.html?src=rss

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals...the West Virginia Mountaineers Hillbilly mascot.

• Haha  (+1) 1

Wasn't sure where to put this, but a super interesting article from The Ringer about Holgo and Houston and the fact that he asked a bunch of seniors (including QB D'Eriq King) to redshirt, effectively tanking this year in order to horde talent for 2020.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/17/20918416/houston-cougars-deriq-king-tanking-experiment-dana-holgorsen

The person who benefits the most from tanking, of course, is Holgorsen. While pro sports coaches are criticized if their teams fall short of expectations in their first years on the job, college coaches are often given a pass. It’s widely accepted that they might struggle when coaching a team populated by players recruited to fit a predecessor’s system. In fact, college coaches’ debut seasons aren’t even referred to as Year 1; they’re commonly called Year Zero. If Houston finishes 3-9 this season, it will reflect poorly on Applewhite. If Houston finishes 3-9 this season and then 9-3 next year, it will appear as if Holgorsen inherited a mess and created something great. King is a legit star, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him guide Houston to a conference championship or top-tier bowl spot in 2020.

• Thanks (+1) 1

73381353_3002185556463694_23406284303803

Foster Sawyer has been cast as the lead role for my newest film “Roughing the Passer”. Foster is a former 5 star recruit out of high school and a former starting quarterback for TCU. He will be playing RILEY WHITAKER - A high school senior and the number 1 rated quarterback in the nation. Riley has all the pressure in the world in choosing the right college to play football for. Who he plays football for will decide his future. Congratulations Foster! I’m so excited to work with you!

Question for those that wager on baseball:

My daughter and husband bought $10,000 bed from Mattress Mack in Houston.  If the Astros win the World Series, their money is refunded.  How much should my son-in-law have wagered on the Nationals to “hedge” the refund if Astros win?

10 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

My daughter and husband bought $10,000 bed from Mattress Mack in Houston.  If the Astros win the World Series, their money is refunded.  How much should my son-in-law have wagered on the Nationals to “hedge” the refund if Astros win?

He should have done that before the series started.  He could have got $205 for every $100 wagered on the Nats.  If he had wagered $5,000 on the Nats to win the series on Monday, he'd stand to win $10,250.  Right now He would have to wager  $26,000 on the Nats to win $10,000   

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Senor Ballistico said:

He should have done that before the series started.  He could have got $205 for every $100 wagered on the Nats.  If he had wagered $5,000 on the Nats to win the series on Monday, he'd stand to win $10,250.  Right now He would have to wager  $26,000 on the Nats to win $10,000   

He did it prior to the start.  I just don’t know how much he did it for.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

He did it prior to the start.  I just don’t know how much he did it for.

I would guess a lot of folks did that.  It's a rarity that a gambler gets a free roll like that!   👍

As somebody else in the comments said, the small one in the line-up would have been huge when I was in school. This is madness.

• Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The NCAA Board of Governors took the first step Tuesday toward allowing athletes to cash in on their fame, voting unanimously to clear the way for the amateur athletes to “benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness.”

The United States' largest governing body for college athletics realized that it "must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," the board said in a news release issued after the vote at Emory University in Atlanta.

The NCAA Board of Governors took the first step Tuesday toward allowing athletes to cash in on their fame, voting unanimously to clear the way for the amateur athletes to “benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness.” The United States'...
https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2019/10/ncaa-board-approves-athlete-compensation-for-image-likeness.html

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can't wait for some Rosa's commercials starring Max Duggan. 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:09 AM, Zebra Frog said:

Pretty sure it is a refund up to $3000.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I will wait for more details on the pay for athletes before deciding how bad it will be.  It has potential to knock the sport back to pre-scholarship limits if done wrong, which I expect it will be. I am completely against open pay for recruiting and do not see the NCAA doing much to prevent it.

• Upvote (+1) 2