Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

I'm a week late with this, darn it. Should have posted on the Ballpark's last Opening Day. Anyway, I bawled my way through it because Van Cliburn is irreplaceable as will be the Ballpark. Enjoy.

Well, this will give you a lump in your throat.

• Like (+1) 1

And now for something completely different!

Not sports, but, well, there's some running involved. Here's your laugh for today. I couldn't help myself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1

This seems to be the place to post this interesting tidbit.  I'm a member of Honolulu Country Club and went for lunch today.  There are a fairly large number of members who live in Japan but come to Honolulu regularly enough that they join the club.  The men's locker room is large and has a couple of hundred lockers assigned to members with their names on them.  Today I walked through the locker room, as I have many times before, and for the first time noticed a locker had a famous sports name on it.  Sadaharu Oh.  Evidently he's a member.  I'm not sure I'd recognize him if I saw him but I sure recognized the name.  His golf locker is my near brush with sports immortality.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Dirtbags fired Troy Buckley.

https://longbeachstate.com/news/2019/4/11/general-a-statement-regarding-long-beach-state-baseball-from-andy-fee.aspx

The following statement is attributed to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Andy Fee:

"I met with Coach Troy Buckley today and informed him of the decision to make a change in leadership within the baseball program. Additionally, I asked Associate Head Coach Greg Bergeron and Pitching Coach Dan Ricabal to share head coaching duties for the remainder of the season. We thank Coach Troy Buckley for his past service to the team, to the university, and to our remarkable baseball tradition even as he leaves Beach Athletics. We have a rich history, a powerful brand, and certainly amazing student-athletes. I am so proud of this program, I'm optimistic about our future, and I appreciate Coach Bergeron and Coach Ricabal for their leadership. We will begin a national search for a new permanent head coach in the coming weeks."

13 hours ago, AlohaFrog said:

This seems to be the place to post this interesting tidbit.  I'm a member of Honolulu Country Club and went for lunch today.  There are a fairly large number of members who live in Japan but come to Honolulu regularly enough that they join the club.  The men's locker room is large and has a couple of hundred lockers assigned to members with their names on them.  Today I walked through the locker room, as I have many times before, and for the first time noticed a locker had a famous sports name on it.  Sadaharu Oh.  Evidently he's a member.  I'm not sure I'd recognize him if I saw him but I sure recognized the name.  His golf locker is my near brush with sports immortality.  :rolleyes:

Well, I had to look up the name, but WOW!

Oh holds the world lifetime home run record,[2] having hit 868 home runs during his professional career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaharu_Oh

7 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Beastie Boys fan

I was prepared to totally hate that, but Saturday Night Fever!

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Impressive. 😁

Pearl Harbor all over again. #NoRacist