Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

I'm a week late with this, darn it. Should have posted on the Ballpark's last Opening Day. Anyway, I bawled my way through it because Van Cliburn is irreplaceable as will be the Ballpark. Enjoy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, this will give you a lump in your throat.

• Like (+1) 1

And now for something completely different!

Not sports, but, well, there's some running involved. Here's your laugh for today. I couldn't help myself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1

This seems to be the place to post this interesting tidbit.  I'm a member of Honolulu Country Club and went for lunch today.  There are a fairly large number of members who live in Japan but come to Honolulu regularly enough that they join the club.  The men's locker room is large and has a couple of hundred lockers assigned to members with their names on them.  Today I walked through the locker room, as I have many times before, and for the first time noticed a locker had a famous sports name on it.  Sadaharu Oh.  Evidently he's a member.  I'm not sure I'd recognize him if I saw him but I sure recognized the name.  His golf locker is my near brush with sports immortality.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Dirtbags fired Troy Buckley.

https://longbeachstate.com/news/2019/4/11/general-a-statement-regarding-long-beach-state-baseball-from-andy-fee.aspx

The following statement is attributed to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Andy Fee:

"I met with Coach Troy Buckley today and informed him of the decision to make a change in leadership within the baseball program. Additionally, I asked Associate Head Coach Greg Bergeron and Pitching Coach Dan Ricabal to share head coaching duties for the remainder of the season. We thank Coach Troy Buckley for his past service to the team, to the university, and to our remarkable baseball tradition even as he leaves Beach Athletics. We have a rich history, a powerful brand, and certainly amazing student-athletes. I am so proud of this program, I'm optimistic about our future, and I appreciate Coach Bergeron and Coach Ricabal for their leadership. We will begin a national search for a new permanent head coach in the coming weeks."

13 hours ago, AlohaFrog said:

This seems to be the place to post this interesting tidbit.  I'm a member of Honolulu Country Club and went for lunch today.  There are a fairly large number of members who live in Japan but come to Honolulu regularly enough that they join the club.  The men's locker room is large and has a couple of hundred lockers assigned to members with their names on them.  Today I walked through the locker room, as I have many times before, and for the first time noticed a locker had a famous sports name on it.  Sadaharu Oh.  Evidently he's a member.  I'm not sure I'd recognize him if I saw him but I sure recognized the name.  His golf locker is my near brush with sports immortality.  :rolleyes:

Well, I had to look up the name, but WOW!

Oh holds the world lifetime home run record,[2] having hit 868 home runs during his professional career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaharu_Oh

7 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Beastie Boys fan

I was prepared to totally hate that, but Saturday Night Fever!

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Impressive. 😁

Pearl Harbor all over again. #NoRacist

Big 12 coaches discuss injury report
April 30, 2019
By The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) Big 12 coaches are discussing the implementation of a standardized conference-wide injury report, but they would prefer some type of national uniformity.

The Big 12 is among six FBS conferences holding spring meetings at the same resort hotel in Arizona this week. The American Football Coaches Association also met this week.

Introducing NFL-style injury reports to college football has become more likely in the past year as legal wagering on sporting events has become more prevalent. Still, it's a long way from becoming a reality.

Currently, the sharing of information about injured players varies from school to school. A Supreme Court decision last year opened the door for states to implement sports gambling. Eight states have jumped in with some form of legal sports wagering.

Texas coach Tom Herman says the conference wants to be prepared for a national movement toward injury reports.

''I just want it to be unified,'' Herman said Tuesday. ''I think the whole AFCA, everybody would have to be on the same page.'' Even within the Big 12, coaches take a wide-range of approaches when it comes to transparency about injuries.

Baylor coach Matt Rhule said as long an injury report doesn't not conflict with federal patient and student privacy law he is OK with providing status reports on injured players.

''I want to give the media and the fans the best information, but I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way,'' Rhule said.

With legalized wagering spreading, the concern is injury information could become a commodity for gamblers looking to gain an advantage. An injury report ostensibly puts it all above board, though even in the NFL coaches can be less than forthright.

''I think it's a grander college football, AFCA, conference commissioners, issue,'' Rhule said. ''I think as coaches we're always wired to not give away stuff. But I think it has to be a bigger conversation.''

AFAC executive director Todd Berry said it's probably time for some national guidelines for injury reporting in college football, even if coaches can avoid detailing specific injuries and use vague terms such as lower body and upper body.

''I'm concerned without having some kind of national consistency we're maybe doing ourselves a disservice,'' Berry said.

21 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Big 12 coaches discuss injury report
April 30, 2019
By The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) Big 12 coaches are discussing the implementation of a standardized conference-wide injury report, but they would prefer some type of national uniformity.

The Big 12 is among six FBS conferences holding spring meetings at the same resort hotel in Arizona this week. The American Football Coaches Association also met this week.

Introducing NFL-style injury reports to college football has become more likely in the past year as legal wagering on sporting events has become more prevalent. Still, it's a long way from becoming a reality.

Currently, the sharing of information about injured players varies from school to school. A Supreme Court decision last year opened the door for states to implement sports gambling. Eight states have jumped in with some form of legal sports wagering.

Texas coach Tom Herman says the conference wants to be prepared for a national movement toward injury reports.

''I just want it to be unified,'' Herman said Tuesday. ''I think the whole AFCA, everybody would have to be on the same page.'' Even within the Big 12, coaches take a wide-range of approaches when it comes to transparency about injuries.

Baylor coach Matt Rhule said as long an injury report doesn't not conflict with federal patient and student privacy law he is OK with providing status reports on injured players.

''I want to give the media and the fans the best information, but I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way,'' Rhule said.

With legalized wagering spreading, the concern is injury information could become a commodity for gamblers looking to gain an advantage. An injury report ostensibly puts it all above board, though even in the NFL coaches can be less than forthright.

''I think it's a grander college football, AFCA, conference commissioners, issue,'' Rhule said. ''I think as coaches we're always wired to not give away stuff. But I think it has to be a bigger conversation.''

AFAC executive director Todd Berry said it's probably time for some national guidelines for injury reporting in college football, even if coaches can avoid detailing specific injuries and use vague terms such as lower body and upper body.

''I'm concerned without having some kind of national consistency we're maybe doing ourselves a disservice,'' Berry said.

Questionable or doubtful?

Not sure where to share this, but since it involves sports fandom, here seems good.

Let me start by saying I hate rude and dangerous drivers.  I was driving to work the other day along an average city street (35 mph).  Flying up behind was a dark Tahoe in the lane next to me until he was about 2-3 ft off the bumper of the car in front.  Caught up at the light to see he was doing this while on his cel phone.  Light changed and he locked right up on the bumper until he could cut around into other lanes and proceed on to the next bumper.  He weaved back and forth from bumper to bumper, very close to some, all while enjoying his texts.  I had a clear lane and caught myself speeding to catch up and find out where he was going.  Luckily I caught myself as I got close to work and turned off for the campus.

The main point here is that yes, I wanted to knock some sense into him for putting all those people at risk.  I drive a small car, so when people are in larger vehicles and do not pay attention to the greater damage they can do, it is very frustrating.  That said, the first thing I would have done would not have been to lay him out.  It would have been to rip the TCU sticker off his back window.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2