Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

23 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Trash Pandas is awesome. I want a hat. 

I looked, but I don't see any gear available yet.  The logo suggests that a Trash Panda is actually a Raccoon?  Is this a common term for them that I've somehow missed?

Image result for rocket city trash pandas

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I looked, but I don't see any gear available yet.  The logo suggests that a Trash Panda is actually a Raccoon?  Is this a common term for them that I've somehow missed?

Image result for rocket city trash pandas

Yes, it is a raccoon 

17 hours ago, MercenaryLibrarian said:

Actually, GotG got it from the internet. 
https://www.thisisinsider.com/trash-panda-raccoon-meme-2016-9

Rocket the Raccoon pre-dates the world wide web.

The character was created by Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen,[1] and inspired by the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon".[2] Other references to the song were featured in Rocket's appearance in The Incredible Hulk #271 (May 1982), which was titled "Now Somewhere In the Black Holes of Sirius Major There Lived a Young Boy Named Rocket Raccoon" and saw the Hulk help Rocket stop a villain trying to steal "Gideon's Bible", which in the Marvel Universe was a book that contained the sum of all knowledge on the Loonies colony.[3]

Rocket Raccoon first appeared in Marvel Preview #7 (Summer 1976), in the back-up feature "The Sword in the Star", under the name "Rocky".[4][5] He would next appear in The Incredible Hulk #271 (May 1982), where it is learned that "Rocky" is short for "Rocket". In 1985, he received his own four-issue limited series and in an afterword to the first issue, Mantlo himself asserted that this was the same character seen in Preview, penciled by Mike Mignola and inked by Al Gordon with Al Milgrom. Rocket appeared in Quasar #15 in 1990 and later appeared in three issues of Sensational She-Hulk in 1992 (#44-46).[3] The character only appeared in a total of ten comic books in his first thirty years of existence.[6]

8 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Rocket the Raccoon pre-dates the world wide web.

The character was created by Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen,[1] and inspired by the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon".[2] Other references to the song were featured in Rocket's appearance in The Incredible Hulk #271 (May 1982), which was titled "Now Somewhere In the Black Holes of Sirius Major There Lived a Young Boy Named Rocket Raccoon" and saw the Hulk help Rocket stop a villain trying to steal "Gideon's Bible", which in the Marvel Universe was a book that contained the sum of all knowledge on the Loonies colony.[3]

Rocket Raccoon first appeared in Marvel Preview #7 (Summer 1976), in the back-up feature "The Sword in the Star", under the name "Rocky".[4][5] He would next appear in The Incredible Hulk #271 (May 1982), where it is learned that "Rocky" is short for "Rocket". In 1985, he received his own four-issue limited series and in an afterword to the first issue, Mantlo himself asserted that this was the same character seen in Preview, penciled by Mike Mignola and inked by Al Gordon with Al Milgrom. Rocket appeared in Quasar #15 in 1990 and later appeared in three issues of Sensational She-Hulk in 1992 (#44-46).[3] The character only appeared in a total of ten comic books in his first thirty years of existence.[6]

Rocket Raccoon does, but the phrase trash panda does not. As the article points out, the origin of trash panda was from a comment on Reddit. 

https://amp.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/1v382q/raccoon_in_a_suit/ceockdk

• Like (+1) 1

T is for Texas and terrible

We accept a delay of game penalty. Distractions caused us to miss the Wednesday opener of our college football Dirty Dozen. We promise to do better.

So too will a host of Texas teams. Heck, they can’t do any worse. Of the 12 that made our first week poll, six are from the Lone Star state and eight with the letter T.  Doesn’t trend start with a T as well?

The worst of the bunch is the big daddy Texas Longhorns, which created their own TV network and the sole reason the Big 12 hasn’t collapsed (they carry the revenue, not Oklahoma and Kansas is really a basketball first institution).

The Horns not only lost 34-29 to a supposedly distracted Maryland (off field problems), but fell as 10-point road favorites. They host Tulsa, which should be a win but then comes a tsunami of worry with games against USC, TCU, at Kansas State, Oklahoma, Baylor, at Oklahoma State and West Virginia. How does a losing season and no bowl sound to Bevo? That longhorn steer could turn mighty ornery in a few weeks.

Texas ran Charlie Strong out of town last year, replacing him with Tom Herman, who resurrected the University of Houston program. Herman may wish he was back in H-town instead of Austin right now although the music is better.

Texas has a rich tradition of football success dating back to the days of Darrell Royal and later on Mack Brown. But hated rival A&M is now laughing at the Horns from SEC land and everyone else in the state no longer fears scheduling Texas.

And our panel of 3 (me, Myself and I) always enjoy bullies getting what’s coming to them. The Longhorn Network is really an insult to the other member Big 12 teams, but it’s such a cash cow that there’s acceptance of playing second fiddle in exchange for all the loot.

There aren’t many schools that can survive on its own island. Alabama could, Notre Dame always has and USC would on the West Coast if they chose to do so. BYU tried to be the Mountain version of Notre Dame by severing several conference ties to live as an independent, but couldn’t pull it off.

What does this have to do with betting? Well not so much in determining lines and totals, but Texas still carries the name and that makes them a candidate to be rated higher than they deserve. The Terrapins can vouch for that.

Now for the rest of the Dirty 12 and watch those T’s flash before you.

12. SMU (0-1 ATS) – Not a T, but Dallas is very much in Texas.

11. Washington (0-1) – Perhaps a bit harsh, but they let the Pac 12 down.

10. Texas State (0-1) – Weren’t they in a Burt Reynolds film?

9. Texas San Antonio (0-1) – UTSA if you are on friendly terms.

8. Texas Tech (0-1) – A pick against Ole Miss became a 20-poin tloss.

7. Troy (0-1) – Had hopes against Boise State quickly dashed.

6. W. Michigan (0-1) – Nice to have the MAC represented.

5. UCLA (0-1) – First game after Josh Rosen a loss to Cincy!

4. Temple (0-1) – They are still partying at FCS Villanova.

3. Texas (0-1) – Check above for reasons why.

2. Tennessee (0-1) – Country Roads outsold Rocky Top.

1. Texas El Paso (0-1) – When UNLV is a 23.5-pt favorite, you’re bad.

Encore: Would you believe Hawaii tops everyone in Division I with a 2-0 ATS and overall mark! A nice gift for those hit hard by that hurricane.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 9/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, frogtwang said:

Rocket Raccoon does, but the phrase trash panda does not. As the article points out, the origin of trash panda was from a comment on Reddit. 

https://amp.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/1v382q/raccoon_in_a_suit/ceockdk

Given that i never mentioned trash panda...

On 9/6/2018 at 12:13 PM, Radio Shack Killa said:

MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM NAMES HAVE OFFICIALLY JUMPED THE SHARK

When the Mobile Baybears, the Angels’ Double A affiliate, move north to suburban Huntsville, Alabama, in 2020, they’ll have a new name. 

JpJjwFIjCE3PT1oZ?format=jpg&name=small

Here is the big reveal of the baseball team coming to North Alabama. Rocket City Trash Pandas!!!

On 9/6/2018 at 2:47 PM, Radio Shack Killa said:

It is a specific raccoon.

Rocket The Raccoon, from the Guardians of The Galaxy.

26 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Given that i never mentioned trash panda...

You were the first person to mention trash panda. You initiated this whole discussion. 

On 9/7/2018 at 8:11 AM, frogtwang said:

the origin of trash panda was from a comment on Reddit. 

I 💜 reddit. 

3 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Great article on how North Texas successfully ran a fake fair catch play against Arkansas for a TD. Worth a click.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/16/17864636/north-texas-fake-fair-catch-punt-return-td 

That was ESPN's College Football Final's Play of the Week and the commentators said it was the Play of the Year so far.  It was amazing how well he deeked the Pigs - they just gave up even though he didn't signal for a fair catch and it was off to the races after that.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Jared said:

That was ESPN's College Football Final's Play of the Week and the commentators said it was the Play of the Year so far.  It was amazing how well he deeked the Pigs - they just gave up even though he didn't signal for a fair catch and it was off to the races after that.

Gotta play to the whistle