Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

I may be late, but just had  random thought about Andy Dalton - wondered if there was any chance he was here for the SuperBowl and signing autographs.

I still need his sig on my Rose Bowl commemorative football.  I have about 30 signatures on it, but not his.

That's one expensive row boat.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18690599/ex-western-michigan-broncos-coach-pj-fleck-use-row-boat-minnesota-golden-gophers

Sources said Fleck's agent Bryan Harlan reached an agreement Wednesday with Western Michigan for the university to transfer rights to the phrase, which was used by Fleck but trademarked by the university.

The trademark, filed by the university in May 2013 and registered in September 2015, will be transferred to Harlan's company, Harlan Sports, sources said. Harlan and Fleck are then expected to allow Minnesota to use the mark as it sees fit, including on merchandise, as long as Fleck is with the school.

In return, Fleck will give Western Michigan at least $50,000 through five payments of $10,000 to endow a scholarship for a football player.

In a league where only about a quarter of the games in any given year will match two teams with winning records

Ugh. Is this normal for sports leagues? I'm not a math person. This seems like very few interesting games. 

9 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Ugh. Is this normal for sports leagues? I'm not a math person. This seems like very few interesting games. 

Well, if you think about, yes.  Figure half the teams would be above .500, half below.  Or thereabouts (In MLB last year it was 16/14, in the NBA its actually 13/17).  Well, there's 3 scenarios - games between 2 winning teams, games between 2 losing teams, and games between 1 winning and 1 losing.  So the breakdown (ignoring that schedules are weighted due to conference/geography) would be 25%/25%/50%.  And that's true of ANY league.  So the author playing a little fast and loose with the facts.

Edit: the breakdown in the NFL last year was 19/13.  So the author's statement may not even be accurate.

2 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Well, if you think about, yes.  Figure half the teams would be above .500, half below.  Or thereabouts (In MLB last year it was 16/14, in the NBA its actually 13/17).  Well, there's 3 scenarios - games between 2 winning teams, games between 2 losing teams, and games between 1 winning and 1 losing.  So the breakdown (ignoring that schedules are weighted due to conference/geography) would be 25%/25%/50%.  And that's true of ANY league.  So the author playing a little fast and loose with the facts.

Edit: the breakdown in the NFL last year was 19/13.  So the author's statement may not even be accurate.

That makes sense. It sounded like a statistic that seemed shocking but really wasn't or shouldn't have been. 

Ole Miss gets caught breaking 21 NCAA rules, including paying players and prospective recruits upwards of $20,000.

Ole Miss responds by self sanctioning themselves with a one year post-season bowl ban. And that's it.

Imo, that is way too light of a punishment. But I bet the NCAA goes along with it.

That's not the only self sanction.  Ole Miss is also returning 7.8 million in bowl revenue.  And they previously docked themselves 11 football scholarships,  banned unofficial visits for a period and reduced coaches 'evaluation days'.  Whether the NCAA decides that's enough remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

That's not the only self sanction.  Ole Miss is also returning 7.8 million in bowl revenue.  And they previously docked themselves 11 football scholarships,  banned unofficial visits for a period and reduced coaches 'evaluation days'.  Whether the NCAA decides that's enough remains to be seen.

Ahh gotcha. I only heard "Ole Miss", "21 sanctions", and "self imposed Bowl ban" as I was heading out this morning. I still think more sanctions are needed. That's a lot of money and a lot of violations. 

That said, a lot of those recruits that were paid by Ole Miss didn't even end up at Ole Miss. That should be a huge red flag to the NCAA. But I'd wager nothing comes out of it. Hell, there's pictures on the internet with around 30 Bama players with brand spanking new cars and trucks.