Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

George H.W. Bush had a love of sports and an affinity for at least one sportswriter

...One day in 1990, a long white limo pulled up in front of our house — the first and last time that has happened. A man delivered an envelope. “Knowing what a great baseball fan you are, I wanted you to have the enclosed Topps George Bush baseball card. Only 100 were made. Best wishes, George Bush.”

What struck me was that, as the captain of a Yale baseball team that played for the national championship in both 1947 and 1948, a team that included three future major leaguers, Bush could emphasize whatever he wanted in the statistics and honors on the back of the card. Included was his .251 career batting average in 175 at-bats, plus his .133 average (2 for 15) in “postseason,” a number that couldn’t possibly have pleased him. No mention of being captain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/george-hw-bush-had-a-love-of-sports-and-an-affinity-for-at-least-one-sportswriter/2018/12/01/328a2e66-f5b0-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.70eb7690591c

On 12/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Senor Ballistico said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25454530/nfl-puts-official-roy-ellison-administrative-leave-confrontation-jerry-hughes-buffalo-bills

NFL puts official Roy Ellison on administrative leave after Jerry Hughes confrontation

Ellison, in his 16th year as an NFL official, was previously suspended one game without pay in 2013 for allegedly making a profane and derogatory statement to Washington Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams.

Following that 2013 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Williams said Ellison cussed him out during a Redskins drive late in the first half, an accusation teammates backed. Williams said Ellison walked by him after a play and called him a "garbage-ass, disrespectful m-----f-----."

55 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25454530/nfl-puts-official-roy-ellison-administrative-leave-confrontation-jerry-hughes-buffalo-bills

NFL puts official Roy Ellison on administrative leave after Jerry Hughes confrontation

Ellison, in his 16th year as an NFL official, was previously suspended one game without pay in 2013 for allegedly making a profane and derogatory statement to Washington Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams.

Following that 2013 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Williams said Ellison cussed him out during a Redskins drive late in the first half, an accusation teammates backed. Williams said Ellison walked by him after a play and called him a "garbage-ass, disrespectful m-----f-----."

Jerry is a really good dude and not someone who has that rep. So I 100% side with him and it sounds like the NFL does too. 

Refs with their God Complexes can be quite annoying 

The penalties sound pretty ridiculous.

EUGENE — Oregon women’s basketball coach Kelly Graves failed to monitor and promote an atmosphere of compliance in his program and men’s basketball coach Dana Altman failed to monitor his director of basketball operations, according to a decision released by a Division I Committee on Infractions panel, which put the university’s athletic department on probation for two years.

Graves must serve a two-game suspension during this season, the women’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one for 10 hours during this season, the men’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one for five hours during this season and Oregon must pay a fine of $5,000 plus one percent of each of the men’s and women’s basketball budgets.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2018/12/ncaa-to-announce-committee-on-infractions-decision-on-oregon-today.html

If anyone who likes curling hasn't been watching this year, the new 5 rock rule that many tournaments are experimenting with changes the game in really good ways.  I predict it will be installed everywhere that professionals play within a year or two. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/curling-five-rock-rule-1.4875040

Lacrosse is putting in a shot clock at the collegiate level this year.  I think it's going to be a disaster, just resulting in a lot of sloppy shooting.  There's plenty of scoring in the game already, and refs have opportunity to issue a stall warning if teams are simply passing and not attacking the goal.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, gofrogs152 said:

Lacrosse is putting in a shot clock at the collegiate level this year.  I think it's going to be a disaster, just resulting in a lot of sloppy shooting.  There's plenty of scoring in the game already, and refs have opportunity to issue a stall warning if teams are simply passing and not attacking the goal.

Curling had been getting to the point of no scoring at all except if there is a major missed shot or it was the last end. This is why the 3 rock rule, then 4, and now 5 has been put in over the past 30 years. With the 5 rock rule really good players still shine but there are many more chances to actually play for points during ALL ends. As well, the team that is ahead with hammer (last rock) cannot now just keep the ice surface clean of all opponent rocks and keep the zeros coming till then scoring with the last rock in the final end. 

With lacrosse, you'll probably see something like basketball where the offense is forced to attack (hopefully NOT sloppily!) rather than just holding on to the ball for minutes at a time.

23 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

With lacrosse, you'll probably see something like basketball where the offense is forced to attack (hopefully NOT sloppily!) rather than just holding on to the ball for minutes at a time.

I hope you are right.  I personally like the current game, watching the ball movement to create an opening.  Good shot selection is an important aspect of a quality lacrosse offense.  I think it will be interesting to see if scoring goes up, or possibly goes down because there are more rushed shots that have lower probability of success.  

1 hour ago, gofrogs152 said:

I hope you are right.  I personally like the current game, watching the ball movement to create an opening.  Good shot selection is an important aspect of a quality lacrosse offense.  I think it will be interesting to see if scoring goes up, or possibly goes down because there are more rushed shots that have lower probability of success.  

Lacrosse seems like such an obscure game to me. I couldn't even identify the equipment or that it was, in fact, a game of lacrosse being played if I saw it. (I plead my Texas roots for my ignorance.) Did you play when you were younger since you lived all over the place, or maybe Tyler played? 

9 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Harold Baines?  Really?

He got some help:

"There were two on the committee that probably helped Baines a lot: Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa, who managed Baines from 1980-1986 with the White Sox."

https://sports.yahoo.com/harold-baines-election-cooperstown-lot-baseball-fans-baffled-035839868.html

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:41 AM, gofrogs152 said:

I think Lehigh has an excellent chance of beating Bowdoin this season.  That Charles Hamilton Wessex IV is quite the player and his teammate James Cambridge Kent III is pretty good too.  :P

Ok, so I collect sports cards. This story has been making the rounds lately and it kind of cracks me up. A card that very recently would have been considered all but worthless (and not scarce) is going for decent money thanks to this.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/menendez-brothers-appear-in-background-of-mark-jackson-basketball-card/