Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

I've often thought we needed a place for sports stuff that didn't merit it's own thread, but still needed to be somewhere on the board. Now we have it. And to kick it off...a post about uniforms!

College football alternate uniforms are wearing thin

"Maryland tried to become Oregon East thanks to alum and Under Armour founder Kevin Plank. The fashion arms race was on. Even Harvard unveiled a six-uniform combo with "matte" helmets last year.

I liked the uni freshness, but it was like a drug. You have to keep raising the dosage to get the same kick.

How long until FSU shows up wearing chrome helmets featuring orange facemasks and an illustration of Burt Reynolds as "The Bandit"?

I mean, is it too much to ask that teams wear their school colors?"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/os-sp-college-uniforms-david-whitley-1115-20161114-column.html

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How long until FSU shows up wearing chrome helmets featuring orange facemasks and an illustration of Burt Reynolds as "The Bandit"?

Not sure if the college football uniform / Burt Reynolds theme is a good thing.

Baylor already tried this a couple of weeks ago and they got their asses kicked by 40 points at home.

The-Longest-Yard.jpg

I was a Maryland season ticket holder for several years and some of those uniform combinations are painful.  The all red this past week made it look like they were all dressed up like Spiderman. 

I'm just and old curmudgeon I guess, but I'm in the "just wear your school colors" camp for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

I was a Maryland season ticket holder for several years and some of those uniform combinations are painful.  The all red this past week made it look like they were all dressed up like Spiderman. 

I'm just and old curmudgeon I guess, but I'm in the "just wear your school colors" camp for the most part. 

Sing it, sister. Purple and white. 

3 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

Seriously, it's time for him to go 

I am certainly no international soccer expert but being involved in the youth soccer world and seeing the numbers of kids playing soccer, it is surprising to me that this country still isn't producing international-star level players.  I understand that from a financial perspective soccer in the US is still 5th in the pecking order of professional sports and that probably has an impact on the numbers of our elite athletes who go that direction, but still we're 4 times larger than the largest European country in population. 

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I am certainly no international soccer expert but being involved in the youth soccer world and seeing the numbers of kids playing soccer, it is surprising to me that this country still isn't producing international-star level players.  I understand that from a financial perspective soccer in the US is still 5th in the pecking order of professional sports and that probably has an impact on the numbers of our elite athletes who go that direction, but still we're 4 times larger than the largest European country in population. 

Soccer is 5th?  Thats pretty generous.  I'd say NASCAR, PGA and Arena Football are bigger draws.  

12 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

There's a handful of players either in the process of breaking that ceiling or with the potential to do so.  Christian Pulisic at 18 is getting playing time at Borussia Dortmund most notably.  He may already be the best American player out there.  The big Euro clubs are increasingly snapping up the top young American talent and grooming them.

17 minutes ago, crunch said:

Soccer is 5th?  Thats pretty generous.  I'd say NASCAR, PGA and Arena Football are bigger draws.  

You're probably right. I don't know about Arena ... from a purely local perspective Pittsburgh has tried at least twice to have Arena teams and each has failed quickly.  Minor league soccer has hung on here for over almost 20 years now.

Arena football, which is on life support.  That's funny.

In terms of attendance MLS compares favorably with the top leagues in Italy and France.  TV is still where it lags significantly.  As TV improves, revenues improve and with that the money to invest in the sport.

01-833.png

15 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Arena football, which is on life support.  That's funny.

In terms of attendance MLS compares favorably with the top leagues in Italy and France.  TV is still where it lags significantly.  As TV improves, revenues improve and with that the money to invest in the sport.

01-833.png

I've been to a couple AFL games.  Lots of fun.  I have also gone to a soccer match.