Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TCU 2016-2017 Basketball...The Debut Season

I'm not a fan of Ghostery, and I use the more direct approach of locking down everything with NoScript by default on load, and using my own judgement on whitelisting and allowing sites to activate their scripts. It can be tedious at times, but the ability to fully control what comes through and what is stopped before it ever loads is peace of mind for me. Especially when using streaming sites like FirstRow with the ten or so various advertising scripts that run in the background, even when the ads themselves are being blocked by ABP.

Google is horrible, but so is Disney and just about everyone else these days.

2 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Once again my family social coordinator scheduled an event during a TCU hoops game.  It's almost as if she doesn't want to go...

anyway, 4 free tickets to Sunday's game.  Who wants 'em?

If you don't get any takers, let me know!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/516156/a-popular-ad-blocker-also-helps-the-ad-industry/

Ghostery's anonymous part was never truly anonymous. ABP is also noted as doing similar (ABP & the whole acceptable ads thing), but they never seemed to be quite as deceptive about it, and with add-ons to the add-on, you can eliminate the flaws in ABP in stock form. At the end of the day, Ghostery just didn't perform the task well enough for me when I last used it as ruling the browser with more of a brute force/iron-fisted approach has.

There's a give and take with all of them and it just boils down to simple preference in the end.

TCU seniors have embraced his vision, Jamie Dixon says

BY JIMMY BURCH

jburch@star-telegram.com

TCU men’s basketball coach Jamie Dixon remains in the process of defining roles for players as the Horned Frogs head into Sunday’s game against Texas Southern, one of two nonconference contests left before the start of Big 12 play.

But after 10 games, he’s reached a conclusion about the four seniors on this year’s roster, a group Dixon calls the “believers” because they have embraced his vision of lifting the TCU program to prominence and have been key contributors in the team’s 9-1 start.

Between them, the foursome of forward Karviar Shepherd, guard Brandon Parrish, forward Chris Washburn and guard Michael Williams have combined to average 17.3 points per game while playing between 4.8 and 21.4 minutes per contest. None of the four ranks among TCU’s top six scorers, although Shepherd is tied for the team lead in starts (nine).

“This senior group, maybe they won’t be our leading scorers or our leading rebounders. But they’re good leaders,” Dixon said. “They’ve been through a lot and they’ve stayed. It’s shown a commitment and a toughness that we can use to our benefit.”

After a break for final exams and five consecutive days of practices, TCU returns to action against Texas Southern (4-6) seeking to build on one of the best starts to any season in school history Sunday at Schollmaier Arena (5 p.m., ESPNU). TCU can reach double digits in victories in its 11th game, a feat matched or topped only twice in the past 20 seasons.

TCU opened with a 13-0 run in the 2014-15 season under former coach Trent Johnson before finishing 18-15. During 1997-98, the Frogs posted a 10-1 break from the gate under former coach Billy Tubbs before finishing 27-6 after a first-round loss in the NCAA Tournament.

Parrish, an Arlington Seguin graduate, has thrived in his sixth-man role after starting all 33 games last season. He’s averaged 7.2 points and 21.4 minutes per contest, including a season-high 20 points against Jacksonville State on Nov. 18.

“I can’t say enough about him, character wise. He’s a great representative of TCU,” Dixon said. “We’ve asked him to be more of a post defender. We’ve asked him to improve his assists-to-turnover ratio and he’s responded. People have to believe for us to turn this program around. He’s bought in completely to this new TCU.”

In breaking down his new role, Parrish said: “It doesn’t matter who starts. I just want to be that life, that energy, whenever I come off the bench or whenever I’m in the game. So we can have a spark out there.”

The other seniors have expressed similar sentiments. Shepherd, who has averaged 5.8 points and 3.1 rebounds per contest, praised Dixon for his efforts in making sure the seniors were not forgotten during a season marked by the emergence of three impact newcomers at the guard spots: freshman Jaylen Fisher (11.4 points, 4.1 assists per game), freshman Desmond Bane (8.6 average) and sophomore Alex Robinson (11.1 points, 5.7 assists), a transfer from Texas A&M and a Mansfield Timberview graduate.

“He’s not pushing us off like some other coaches would have done,” Shepherd said. “What he’s done just builds confidence in us and makes us want to play even harder for him. Obviously, he wants us to show our leadership with the younger guys.”

For TCU, the defining contests in Dixon’s inaugural season have yet to be played. But after 10 games, Dixon has learned he can lean on his senior “believers.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article121357213.html

3 minutes ago, Jared said:

45-26 early 2nd.  We're looking really good, but I think it's because TSU seems very unenthused and they're playing extra poorly (after 11 straight on the road).

Perhaps it's also because TSU's not getting any encouragement from their coaches, either. Their HC just looks mad all the time.