Sign in to follow this  
Newbomb Turk

The Myocardial Infarction thread

20 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I love how everything in Canada is called Something Canada, like Environment Canada or Revenue Canada. 

They're so organized there. Very Canadian.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

say-what.jpg

Have I not mentioned that?  After hearing that I had a possible restenosis (build up of plaque) in one of my stents last spring, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  (The restenosis was a false alarm, but I didn't find out about that until later.)

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

I've been doing the Esselstyn diet since Easter, with occasional cheats (ceviche and grilled fish when we were in Cozumel, and ceviche once at La Playa Maya in FW.) 

I saw my Primary Care Physician for a yearly checkup just before leaving for Colorado and saw my cardiologist just after our return.  The cardiologist used the term "trained athlete" twice to describe my physical condition.  Mrs. Turk turned a lovely shade of green upon hearing that.

Between the diet and the sadists at cardiac rehab torturing me three days a week, and running on my off days, I now have frikkin' abs, baby.

As to my disassociation from ingesting animal products, I have assured our tailgate guests that the BGE is still open for business.

I grilled up a couple of ribeyes for Mrs. Turk and my stepson on his birthday (and portobellos for me) and as I pulled the steaks off the grill, I caught a whiff, and just for an instant, it smelled like dead flesh (which, come to think of it, is exactly what it is...)  It's amazing how one's tastes change.  I still eat like a pig, but I'm eating a lot of home-made hummus (no olive oil), quinoa/buckwheat salad (my own recipe), portobellos, etc.  I've also cornered the market on hot sauce.

In New Mexico, we went to Blake's Lot-A-Burger, my favorite hamburger chain, and I ordered two Lot-A-Burgers with extra green chile, no cheese, and no meat.  You know what it tasted like? A frikkin' BLAKE'S LOT-A-BURGER!!!

My original plan was to do this for a year and see what happens.  The results have been a grand slam home run so far, and I've been amazed at how deprived I DON'T feel.  So yeah, I'll probably back away from it as some point, but right now, I feel great, and the docs are amazed, so I'm going to keep doing it for the foreseeable future.

21 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I want to see those abs, man.

You'll have to come to FW.  I'm not posting pictures.

When we were in Colorado, we rode the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, which I highly recommend.  My sister and I were in the upscale parlor car at the back of the train, and Mrs. Turk and her sister opted for Tourist class, farther forward.  Parlor Car passengers can roam the entire train; Tourist passengers are not allowed back in the Parlor car.

So about 45 minutes in, I went up to see Mrs. Turk to ask if she wanted to come back to the open "Vista" car, which is open to everyone.  I came up, sat down beside her, and she turned, momentarily startled to see someone sitting next to her. (She startles easy - I choose to see it as endearing, I guess...)

Anyhoo... she agreed to go with me, and I headed back to the Vista car.  As Mrs. Turk was getting up, the lady behind her asked, "Excuse me, but do you know that man?"  Mrs. Turk responded, "Yes, he's my husband," to which the lady replied, "Well, you are LUCKY."

The most striking thing about this story is the fact that Mrs. Turk actually decided to TELL ME about it, because I spent the rest of the trip periodically breaking into a rendition of Mac Davis' "Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble." 

I've been pretty insufferable.  Accent on the "pretty."

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Of course, I don't know your wife personally, but how do you know she didn't make up that story just to make you feel good? 

Corroborated by sis-in-law.  Also, Mrs. Turk would never PURPOSELY inflate my ego, it's sufficiently self-inflating.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, PurpleDawg said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGe3jYVJ0NdJeUxxGVp4m

Or not...

For almost three years, I've been uploading data from my running watch to a website called Garmin Connect, which crunches the data to within an inch of its life.

One useful function is that it saves all personal records, such as fastest 5k, fastest mile, fastest 10k, etc.  In all the time I've been doing this, the fastest mile I've ever clocked was 7 minutes, 32 seconds.

The cool thing is, I achieved that this morning.  First PR since the heart attack.

Bring on the Cowtown.