Sign in to follow this  
Newbomb Turk

The Myocardial Infarction thread

2 minutes ago, Friskyfrog said:

01B90D82-D44D-442F-9992-C26ABCD44322_zps

We need you around here for a very long time.

Oh y'all are stuck with me for awhile.

Mrs. Turk drove me to the emerg room and we got there about 45 minutes after onset of symptoms.  (They hope for a 90 minute window.)

Symptoms started at 10am, and by noon, I was stented and in the Cardiac ICU sitting up in bed and asking what's for lunch.

This might have been posted in the weight loss thread, because the 40-45 pounds I've lost since January REALLY helped minimize the effects and should speed recovery.

Also, if you must have a heart attack, my advice is to have it on the right side of the heart.  (The left side does most of the work.)

3 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Oh y'all are stuck with me for awhile.

Mrs. Turk drove me to the emerg room and we got there about 45 minutes after onset of symptoms.  (They hope for a 90 minute window.)

Symptoms started at 10am, and by noon, I was stented and in the Cardiac ICU sitting up in bed and asking what's for lunch.

This might have been posted in the weight loss thread, because the 40-45 pounds I've lost since January REALLY helped minimize the effects and should speed recovery.

Also, if you must have a heart attack, my advice is to have it on the right side of the heart.  (The left side does most of the work.)

What did it feel like?  Did you know you were having a heart attack?

Am very glad you're doing good!

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

So happy you are ok, friend. Did your doc suggest any lifestyle changes? Hopefully not giving up BBQ!

I've made a LOT of lifestyle changes since January.  We've been eating better, and I've been working out a LOT.  That reduced both the effects of this little episode and my need for post-procedure prescriptions and rehab.  So my advice is that if you're planning to have a heart attack, get fit first.

I've been eating less meat (and less food in general) since January, and almost anything is okay in moderation, so the Big Green Egg isn't going into retirement by any means.  

2 hours ago, Poison Arrow Frog said:

What did it feel like?  Did you know you were having a heart attack?

It started as a very unremarkable pain in my chest right at the end of my workout, but it didn't go away, even when I stopped.  It wasn't excruciating, but I hadn't ever felt anything like it.  After five minutes or so, I suddenly broke out into a cold sweat, and that's when I told Mrs. Turk to get the car keys.  No shortness of breath, no pains radiating down my left arm. It just felt different.

One of the positive takeaways from this is that now I know what a heart attack feels like.

Everyone's good wishes are much appreciated!  I debated posting about this, but I consider all of you guys friends and figured I would share.