Sign in to follow this  
old scribe

The continuing saga of Baylor Athletics

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

A damning article...about Briles...

There are none other anymore, if they are factual.

• Like (+1) 1

That Deadspin article should have mentioned the public reprimand Briles got from the UIL for using an assistant coach who isn't a full-time employee of the school. 

• Like (+1) 1

And if you are looking for an XFL team to root against, the LA team drafted Shawn Oakman ...

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

And if you are looking for an XFL team to root against, the LA team drafted Shawn Oakman ...

Hell, they are basically XFL Baylor. They have 5 Baylor guys:

Shawn Oakman

KD Cannon

Ahmad Dixon

Cordon Moog

Jalan McClendon

• Haha  (+1) 1

http://www.soonerguys.com/?p=10403

After Baylor had run up a 31-10 lead, two things happened:

One, Baylor University showed on their scoreboard video screen the Sooner Schooner crash on Owen Field from earlier in the season — to the delight of the Bears’ crowd who whopped and hollered.

Two, Baylor did not score any more points after that.

Sometimes there is such thing as bad karma. And the Baylor Bears found that out when the Sooners came storming back in the second half to take a 34-31 victory over the Bears in Waco...

But, hey, a game in Waco, Texas has its oddities. 

Beginning with the pre-game prayer.

Since most of the Big 12 universities are public institutions, there are no longer invocations before kickoff.  Two schools are private colleges– TCU and Baylor — so any constitutional prohibitions against  official prayers do not apply to stop them from having prayer before the game.

Unfortunately, Baylor has no prohibitions against turning the pre-game prayer into a pep rally.

On Saturday night the invocation began with the minister declaring that most people hoped heaven was decorated in green and gold (the Baylor colors). 

OK, that was cute.

But by the end of the prayer God was being asked to strike down the Sooners.

“Sic’ em Jesus!” was the call of the minister.

They really are the absolute worst. 

#$%@ baylor

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

After Baylor had run up a 31-10 lead, two things happened:

One, Baylor University showed on their scoreboard video screen the Sooner Schooner crash on Owen Field from earlier in the season — to the delight of the Bears’ crowd who whopped and hollered.

Two, Baylor did not score any more points after that.

Sometimes there is such thing as bad karma. And the Baylor Bears found that out when the Sooners came storming back in the second half to take a 34-31 victory over the Bears in Waco...

But, hey, a game in Waco, Texas has its oddities. 

Beginning with the pre-game prayer.

Since most of the Big 12 universities are public institutions, there are no longer invocations before kickoff.  Two schools are private colleges– TCU and Baylor — so any constitutional prohibitions against  official prayers do not apply to stop them from having prayer before the game.

Unfortunately, Baylor has no prohibitions against turning the pre-game prayer into a pep rally.

On Saturday night the invocation began with the minister declaring that most people hoped heaven was decorated in green and gold (the Baylor colors). 

OK, that was cute.

But by the end of the prayer God was being asked to strike down the Sooners.

“Sic’ em Jesus!” was the call of the minister.

They really are the absolute worst. 

#$%@ baylor

😮 wow!  Classy.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28244896/baylor-loses-qb-charlie-brewer-second-quarter-big-12-title-game

Brewer's helmet hit the turf on a sack by Oklahoma's Kenneth Murray early in the second quarter, and he was slow to get up. Two plays earlier, Brewer had lowered his shoulder at the end of a 7-yard run and knocked OU nickelback Brendan "Bookie" Radley-Hiles to the ground.

After that series, Brewer was briefly evaluated by the Baylor training staff, but he returned for another offensive series. After that possession, head referee Mike Defee asked coach Matt Rhule to have his training staff again examine Brewer.

"I didn't know anything," Rhule said after the game. "Mike Defee came over and said 'Coach, can you please look at Charlie? He just seems a little bit out of it.' Now, I had been talking to Charlie on the sidelines [before] and he didn't seem out of it to me, but I have a lot of respect for Mike Defee. And he said that, so I called over Matt [Kuehl, team trainer] and said 'Hey, they're saying on the field that they were concerned about Charlie.'"

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/baylor_under_fire_for_handling_of_qb_charlie_brewers_head_injury/s1_127_30741710

Brewer took a big hit on a third-down play early in the second quarter against Oklahoma and appeared to be clearly shaken up and wobbly when he got to his feet to leave the field for the impending punt.

Despite this, Brewer immediately returned to the game on the next Baylor drive after being briefly examined on the sideline, though he still didn’t look right. According to ESPN’s Holly Rowe, Brewer was ultimately removed when head official Mike Defee intervened and essentially forced Baylor to take its quarterback to the locker room.

• Upvote (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

78968827_10217925734748776_8823089829420

Sadly enough, I would have been happy with the Idaho Potato Bowl this year!

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, frogtwang said:

I can perhaps give Rhule a pass for not seeing it personally, but there are probably 50 Baylor coaches and medical staff both on the field and in the press box who were watching that.  Either none of them went to Rhule or they did and Rhule ignored them.  Either way, not good ...

• Upvote (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

Sadly enough, I would have been happy with the Idaho Potato Bowl this year!

Speaking from experience, it's a great place to go to for a bowl game. Boise's downtown area in December reminds me of the It's A Wonderful Life movie scene. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

Speaking from experience, it's a great place to go to for a bowl game. Boise's downtown area in December reminds me of the It's A Wonderful Life movie scene. 

The Pottersville scene???!!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I can perhaps give Rhule a pass for not seeing it personally, but there are probably 50 Baylor coaches and medical staff both on the field and in the press box who were watching that.  Either none of them went to Rhule or they did and Rhule ignored them.  Either way, not good ...

Not only that, but after Charlie hit the turf hard and was obviously so wobbly and took a while to get up, when he went to the sideline Rhule was in his face barking at him for taking the hit. Same old, same old going on with that place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Not only that, but after Charlie hit the turf hard and was obviously so wobbly and took a while to get up, when he went to the sideline Rhule was in his face barking at him for taking the hit. Same old, same old going on with that place.

I miss quite a bit but even I saw that!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1