Sign in to follow this  
old scribe

The continuing saga of Baylor Athletics

13 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

EP, I did some housekeeping this morning to keep everything about fArt here in this thread for easier reference. However, your quip about putting your original post in the aptly named "The Sports Dump" thread is noted. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Good article about the situation in Forbes this morning. There will be outcry about this. It's actually already started. This pig is going to be coaching CHILDREN.

While Mount Vernon doesn't look proud hiring Briles on a late Friday afternoon -- generally, when you release news you hope no one will notice -- its news release belies chest-thumping pride in having the Great Art Briles in its family. The school board voted unanimously to hire him.

Boy, there's a lot to unpack in that statement, isn't there? What exactly were the "earnest conversations" about? And how is it a superintendent and school board determined a coach with a demonstrated history of choosing winning over anything, including the good conduct of his players, had the kind of life experience they want high schoolers to experience? Perhaps the answer comes in invoking former Baylor coach Grant Teaff in the press release[.]

"The district administration includes a Title IX coordinator and regular professional development with Title IX training for staff and administrators."

That portion of the news release is what we in the business like to call "butt-covering." If it turns out Briles again is in the middle of scandal, Mount Vernon can point to this release and say Grant Teaff and a bunch of other people said he was OK, and we have Title IX people, so, hey, we tried.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2019/05/25/a-texas-high-school-inexplicably-decides-art-briles-is-fit-to-lead-young-football-players/?src=rss#58d42e145c77

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

• Haha  (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, froginaustin said:

I stuck this into the news dump thread, but it really goes here.

PressboxDFW weighs in on Briles' hiring:

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/briles-hired-and-mount-vernon-evokes-national-scorn/

I know Matt Mosley's in the business, but I really disagree with his premise that Mt Vernon didn't dump that news on Friday evening of a long holiday weekend on purpose. However, I completely agree about the larger issue...hiring a man at the center of a rape scandal to mentor high school kids.

BTW, I'm pretty sure you've got to be a subscriber to read that article. It's not one of the free ones unless you sign up for their free seven day trial...WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD DO AND THEN BECOME A REGULAR SUBSCRIBER IF YOU CAN! No ads and quality writing from a great stable of reporters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Their entire vetting process was talking to Grant Taeff (former Baylor coach and personal friend of Briles) and people they can't name. Good job, Mt. Vernon. (Watch in the video how the superintendent closes his eyes when he answers the questions. Sure sign he's got something to hide.)

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Texas-High-School-Hires-Former-Baylor-Coach-Art-Briles-510408421.html

• Like (+1) 1

What could Mount Vernon have done differently before deciding to hire Art Briles?

Chuck Carlton, Big 12 beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, recently went on the AP Top 25 College Football Podcast  with Ralph D. Russo and shared some of his thoughts on the recent hiring of former Baylor head coach Art Briles by Mount Vernon high school. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/05/30/could-mount-vernon-done-differently-before-deciding-hire-art-briles?src=rss

(And, it's "All of A sudden", Chuck. You're old enough to know this and you have grammar checkers on your laptop, man. Look up the AP stylebook.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know Mount Vernon has to have TV and the internet, but it's almost like it doesn't. They aren't aware of things that have occurred in the last three years. And all of the sudden now amidst the blowback, they're basically acknowledging that outside of Grant Teaff they haven't talked to anybody outside of essentially Art's references. ... The superintendent admitted they did not talk to any of the sexual assault victims from Baylor, didn't talk to the Title IX coordinator at Baylor. 

tenor.gif

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

How a small Texas town has reacted to the hiring of Art Briles

The overwhelming feeling among the town's power brokers is that this was an unbelievable opportunity -- a chance to help a coach who was clearly wronged, in their opinion; a lucky break for a small town to get a legendary coach who had been made a scapegoat by the Baylor board of regents.

"A school district has an opportunity to hire someone like this to coach your kids? I don't know how you could turn that down," said Tom Ramsay, 79, a former five-term state legislator whose name adorns the section of Highway 37 that runs in front of Mount Vernon High School and who had four children who went to Baylor. "I'm impressed with his character."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26943300/how-small-texas-town-reacted-hiring-art-briles

Well, he is a man of God.  If you didn't know that, he'll tell you.  He's written two books about it.

#$%@ baylor

#$%@ art briles

and #$%@ mount Vernon 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3