Sign in to follow this  
Black-it-out-Frog!

Stay Hard Justice Scalia

I expect Obama to nominate a far left wing candidate, who he knows will not get confirmed, so that the Dems can score political points in an elections cycle by pointing fingers at the Republicans.

I would expect nearly the opposite so the Dems can score points when the Republicans won't even vote on somebody perfectly acceptable. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would expect nearly the opposite so the Dems can score points when the Republicans won't even vote on somebody perfectly acceptable.

My bet, as well ...

I disagree with the notion that he should not nominate, he should. The problem is that I do not see him nominating someone that will have a shot at passing through a Republican congress. Instead, I see him concerned more with political points and less with what is good for the country, which is par for the course. So now we run the real risk of a few SCOTUS 4-4 decisions on issues that will affect American lives for decades.

So you think scoring a few points now outweighs the effect on the supreme court of getting in his guy over the next 20 years or so?

He is a lame duck prez working on his legacy, this will be a huge part of that legacy.

Evidently Congress is in recess until Feb. 22. So Obama can make a recess appointment until then, and the Senate cannot reject it.

On the other hand, maybe he will wait until this Congress adjourns and leaves office next January. Then he can appoint himself to the Court.

Evidently Congress is in recess until Feb. 22. So Obama can make a recess appointment until then, and the Senate cannot reject it.

On the other hand, maybe he will wait until this Congress adjourns and leaves office next January. Then he can appoint himself to the Court.

Recess appts are temporary and still have to be approved by the Senate.

All the names currently being bandied about as nominees are those that, under normal circumstances, would possibly/probably pass the Senate. But these arent normal times.

Back to Scalia. I think he was real good for the court representing his point of view. He had good points often and presenting them well, sometimes with appropriate humor. And the fact he was friends with the more liberal justices away from the court shows the quality of his character, IMO. I know it is different with the Supreme Court since it is "apolitical", but I wish there was more of that "disagree but not be disagreeable".

• Upvote (+1) 1

STATEMENT OF JUSTICE RUTH BADER GINSBURG:

"Toward the end of the opera Scalia/Ginsburg, tenor Scalia and soprano Ginsburg sing a duet: “We are different, we are one,” different in our interpretation of written texts, one in our reverence for the Constitution and the institution we serve. From our years together at the D.C. Circuit, we were best buddies. We disagreed now and then, but when I wrote for the Court and received a Scalia dissent, the opinion ultimately released was notably better than my initial circulation. Justice Scalia nailed all the weak spots—the 'applesauce' and 'argle bargle'—and gave me just what I needed to strengthen the majority opinion. He was a jurist of captivating brilliance and wit, with a rare talent to make even the most sober judge laugh. The press referred to his 'energetic fervor,' 'astringent intellect,' 'peppery prose,' 'acumen,' and 'affability,' all apt descriptions. He was eminently quotable, his pungent opinions so clearly stated that his words never slipped from the reader’s grasp.

"Justice Scalia once described as the peak of his days on the bench an evening at the Opera Ball when he joined two Washington National Opera tenors at the piano for a medley of songs. He called it the famous Three Tenors performance. He was, indeed, a magnificent performer. It was my great good fortune to have known him as working colleague and treasured friend."

The rest are here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/14/statements-supreme-court-death-justice-scalia/80375976/

Scalia and Kagan were also apparently tight. David Axelrod, in a CNN article today, said it was Scalia who suggested Kagan as a SC nominee. He knew Obama would never nominate someone who shared his perspective, so he pushed for someone 'smart'.

Scalia and Kagan were also apparently tight. David Axelrod, in a CNN article today, said it was Scalia who suggested Kagan as a SC nominee. He knew Obama would never nominate someone who shared his perspective, so he pushed for someone 'smart'.

I read the same article. I wish we could get that level of decorum and respectful dissent back into Congress. And that goes for Republicans and Democrats alike.

I agree. Also, just curious why people think Obama will just go for the nuclear nominee. Naming a Supreme Court justice is a big deal for President and that becomes part of his legacy. I would expect any President, regardless of party, would take the process seriously and put forward a worthy candidate.

I agree. Also, just curious why people think Obama will just go for the nuclear nominee. Naming a Supreme Court justice is a big deal for President and that becomes part of his legacy. I would expect any President, regardless of party, would take the process seriously and put forward a worthy candidate.

Yeah...it has been true for a long time that the process requires that the President doesnt nominated someone too far in one direction.  The irony beingScalia breezed thru the process.  Obama will score more political points if he puts forth someone who fits that mold, and the Senate still refuses to proceed.  And even if they do proceed, a certain freshman Senator has said he'll filibuster - an equally unusual manuever.

Yeah...it has been true for a long time that the process requires that the President doesnt nominated someone too far in one direction.  The irony beingScalia breezed thru the process.  Obama will score more political points if he puts forth someone who fits that mold, and the Senate still refuses to proceed.  And even if they do proceed, a certain freshman Senator has said he'll filibuster - an equally unusual manuever.

Srinivasan would be an interesting choice.  Considered moderate, "pro-business", confirmed 97-0.  And at the time Cruz said this 

At Srinivasan's confirmation hearing, he was backed by conservative Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, who is now running for president.

"We have been friends a long time, so I am hopeful that our friendship will not be seen as a strike against you by some," Cruz, who is known for having tense relationships with Senate colleagues, joked at the time.

Srinivasan would be an interesting choice.  Considered moderate, "pro-business", confirmed 97-0.  And at the time Cruz said this 

At Srinivasan's confirmation hearing, he was backed by conservative Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, who is now running for president.

"We have been friends a long time, so I am hopeful that our friendship will not be seen as a strike against you by some," Cruz, who is known for having tense relationships with Senate colleagues, joked at the time.

"There are no true friends in politics. We are all sharks circling, and waiting, for traces of blood to appear in the water."  --Alan Clark, P.C., M.P