Sign in to follow this  
FeistyFrog

TAMU making news again...

Let me understand the logic. A few A&M students were ugly with some black visitors and all of A&M's students are racist pigs.

Five TCU students were arrested for dealing or possessing dope. Does that mean all TCU students are high on dope?

You should read the thread ... they come in from small towns all over the state(not normally the most progressive environments), opposed to the more tolerant and understanding larger parts of the state/society. These kids just represent, most likely, the greater majority of their student base. Have 3 male Aggie in-laws, and all 3 feel free to use the 'N' word.

When you are from a small town, and the top of your class, you are told you're special. When a huge % of the people(small town elitists) who attend Aggie, are of this mentality or type ... It's a pretty shitty place to be. Know a 1/2 dozen people who went to Aggie and all but one were from small towns, like Cleburne, Lufkin(both these popped up on my spell check, by the way) and etc. Knew no one from my PHS class who went to Aggie, and we graduated almost 1,000 that year.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You should read the thread ... they come in from small towns all over the state(not normally the most progressive environments), opposed to the more tolerant and understanding larger parts of the state/society. These kids just represent, most likely, the greater majority of their student base. Have 3 male Aggie in-laws, and all 3 feel free to use the 'N' word.

When you are from a small town, and the top of your class, you are told you're special. When a huge % of the people(small town elitists) who attend Aggie, are of this mentality or type ... It's a pretty shitty place to be. Know a 1/2 dozen people who went to Aggie and all but one were from small towns, like Cleburne, Lufkin(both these popped up on my spell check, by the way) and etc. Knew no one from my PHS class who went to Aggie, and we graduated almost 1,000 that year.

My daughter graduated from PHS and graduated from A&M. You have a pretty strong stereotype of small towns that might be clouding your judgement. Did you take statistics at TCU. I am sure three Aggie in-laws supports the entire universe of Aggie graduates.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a lot of Aggie friends and in-laws, some from small towns in east Texas, and I've never heard any of them use the N word. I think the proportion of Aggies who revel in being backwards ass rednecks is dwindling rapidly although I'm sure there is still a small percentage of the current students who are like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now this is something I can back you up on. Jonesboro is a very small town and the racist rednecks are thick as thieves in this part of the world. Bumper stickers on the back of vehicles with the slogan 'Do Not Re-Nig in 2012!' and Confederate flags and shirts with the slogan 'Should've picked our own damn cotton!'

There is a sick illness in rural Texas and it's not Raider Rash.

I have a lot of Aggie friends and in-laws, some from small towns in east Texas, and I've never heard any of them use the N word. I think the proportion of Aggies who revel in being backwards ass rednecks is dwindling rapidly although I'm sure there is still a small percentage of the current students who are like that.

The Austin newspaper, that always carefully checks facts, reported the story about the incident with the visiting high school kids and mentioned that there are now 60,000 (!) students on the "sprawling" College Station campus.  A small percentage of that campus could be an awful lot of people.

And I have noticed, over the decades, that the larger the group of Aggies the more they tend to reinforce "good bull" behavior that would seem socially awkward (to say the least) by many non-Aggies.

I saw a pick up flying two huge Confederate flags in Portland this week. The basackward rednecks are infiltrating everywhere.

I saw a pick up flying two huge Confederate flags in Portland this week. The basackward rednecks are infiltrating everywhere.

Come up to Maine

Come up to Maine

Well, sure, but Portland. Oregon? They don't cotton to the hate here, dude.

Well, sure, but Portland. Oregon? They don't cotton to the hate here, dude.

Portland, Maine, is a lot like Portland, Oregon. A whole lot.

Portland, Maine, is a lot like Portland, Oregon. A whole lot.

I've been to Portland, ME, and I'm not convinced. You've only experienced Portland, OR, from Carrie and Fred's perspective. And, although somewhat accurate, it's still a bit fabricated.

They didn't hate blacks, they just didn't want any around in their utopia.  I mean how can you have a utopia if there are black people around?

How can you NOT have a utopia without Samuel L. Jackson?

I've been to Portland, ME, and I'm not convinced. You've only experienced Portland, OR, from Carrie and Fred's perspective. And, although somewhat accurate, it's still a bit fabricated.

It might not be as weird, but it has a lot of cultural similarities. And inland from the coast, Maine gets very scary indeed.

They didn't hate blacks, they just didn't want any around in their utopia. I mean how can you have a utopia if there are black people around?

Says the guy from a whiter place than Oregon

;-)

Think the word reveal would be more appropriate in a majority of those cases. These 3 aren't running around popping off the N word in public, but the 3 around a ball game on TV will allow it amongst  their small town selves(especially when an Aggie screws up), taking for granted this is OK by me. When in town, avoid these dudes(all professionals) when and where I can. 

Am sure the demographics are changing. and sure for the better, with noticeable representation from the Houston area. But this place in Aggie land is definitely plagued with small town shallow elitists ... again, not a pleasant environment for most, from a larger city population   

Wow. I had no idea. Explains a lot of things here. Like, I actually notice when I see a black person when I'm out. That happens maybe once a month. Maybe that says more about me, though. The only way the population is 2% non-white is because the state is so sparsely populated. And there are lots of Hispanic farm workers.

Think the word reveal would be more appropriate in a majority of those cases. These 3 aren't running around popping off the N word in public, but the 3 around a ball game on TV will allow it amongst themselves(especially when an Aggie screws up), taking for granted this is OK by me. When in town, avoid these dudes(all professionals) when and where I can.

Am sure the demographics are changing. and sure for the better, with noticeable representation from the Houston area. But this place in Aggie land is definitely plagued with small town shallow elitists ... again, not a pleasant environment for most, from a larger city population

Are you telling me to "think the word reveal...", or are you saying "I think the word reveal?"

Also, are you telling me to "avoid these dudes", or or you saying that "you avoid these dudes?"

I honestly can't understand what you type sometimes.

Are you telling me to "think the word reveal...", or are you saying "I think the word reveal?"

Also, are you telling me to "avoid these dudes", or or you saying that "you avoid these dudes?"

I honestly can't understand what you type sometimes.

What ever makes you happy, Luke......   

On February 14, 2016 at 0:13 PM, Daddymac said:

My daughter graduated from PHS and graduated from A&M. You have a pretty strong stereotype of small towns that might be clouding your judgement. Did you take statistics at TCU. I am sure three Aggie in-laws supports the entire universe of Aggie graduates.

I'm always amused when the so-called enlightened, tolerant side of the aisle shows themselves to be ignorant and judgmental. 

2 hours ago, Luke Chisolm said:

I'm always amused when the so-called enlightened, tolerant side of the aisle shows themselves to be ignorant and judgmental. 

I know the crazy I'm surrounded by.  

When I have people come and still tell me that segregation is the Will of God and endorsed by scripture and that until just a few years ago (2007) the community association was still listed in the bylaws as only for the white residents.

I know that there is certain a school district on the other side of the county that makes sure the kids in the so called "#$%@ colonies" don't come to their school and if they do make that mistake, it's made sure that the problem is taken care of by at the very least pointing out the "lynching trees" near the campus.  

I know that I have neighbors that proudly display clan robes next to their confederate flags because it's their "heritage".

I know when I get verbally accosted at the store with my wife and children about my local church performing gay marriages, even though it's not something approved at the local level, but things like that don't matter. 

I also know that there are now people who get to spread crazy shit about how how all of our local church tithes are going straight to Syrian refugees even though half is my part-time salary while 30% is administrative costs and 20% is going to local outreach.  Only one yearly special offering goes to an organization that as part of its disaster relief funds supports refugee resettlement as part of that whole serving Jesus bible stuff.  

I'm pretty sure I'm surrounded by and live with the prevailing attitude of rural East Texas that feeds into the university less than 90 miles away and you're right, my enlightened ass has no use for it.  I can't wait to leave it behind because after 30 years in this area, it's not changing. In the meantime, I'll continue to wonder why the hate like this surrounds me.  I'll not only acknowledge but make sure that it is known that it is totally systemic and institutionalized.  Over here, it's not just an occasional abnormality or pocket of ignorance, but instead a fact of daily life that pervades much of the culture and institutions in places like I live.

• Upvote (+1) 3

12 hours ago, SFA Frog said:

Nice take SFA ... had a working colleague who was a huge Neck(a SFA alum) who told me, proudly, he just missed qualifying(or what ever) for A&M. His father was a history lecturer(the Civil War his Forte) at SFA., One can only imagine his take on the South, though I  heard it several times from the son. So not a surprise... where you live.

I spoke to an aggie kinda sorta friend about those A&M students who shouted out those racist remarks about the visiting Dallas students, and he ASSURED me that it wasn't A&M students, but rather all came from Blinn students who "just happened to be on campus". This is coming from a "friend" who refers to African Americans as the N word "in jest" almost every time I see him. I just rolled my eyes at the typical agg hypocrisy.