Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

Cool, then you can provide quicker updates than me.  My link is still stuck on 6-6 on courts 2 and 3.

Court 2: USC (de Vroome) took the first set 7-6. On serve in second set at 5-5, with USC serving.

Court 3: USC (DeVine) took the first set 7-6. Nunez (TCU) up 5-3 in the second set, Nunez serving.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks - it finally updated for me.  It's 2-2 now, but we lost the 1st set in tiebreaks on both courts 2 and 3, so we're gonna need some comebacks to pull this out. 

Court 2: USC (de Vroome) took the first set 7-6. On serve in second set at 5-5, with USC serving.

Court 3: USC (DeVine) took the first set 7-6. USC got the break back. Now 5-4, on serve. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frogs win the second sets on Courts 2 and 3. Third sets about to begin. On serve in the 3rd set on Court 6, with Johnson serving at 4-5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks - it's not looking good.  We need comebacks in the final two matches to take this.

Roditi tweeted "That really did just happen!"  The Frogs battled back from many setbacks and took the W at the end!  Rybakov, a freshman, is really getting some clutch wins!  On to the semifinals!  I think it's against #1 Virginia.

I realize the season is still young, but today's matches could well be the biggest of the year because we are playing the top seed, the #1 ranked defending national champs Virginia on their home court on little rest in the semi-finals of the Indoor Nationals, which we've never won, although we've been participants 13 times in history.  But the good news is that we just beat the #4 seed USC Trojans, who won the national championship two years ago and the guy Alex Rybakov beat yesterday was also the guy who clinched the national championship for USC in the very same circumstance - the last match of them all, with everyone concentrating on that court.  The stakes simply could not get any bigger and the odds are not in our favour.  Here's the write-up on yesterday's thrilling matches:  http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/021316aaa/html.

Once again, the links for (supposedly) live scoring and video (which I can't get) are on the UVa. site.  They start at 2:30 ish.  There's a slight chance that this will work:  http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/va-m-tennis-live-stats-html

The Frogs lose the doubles point (again).  On to the singles - we're gonna need to rally. 

Update: we're not rallying.  Tied or behind in all 6 matches.

Not looking good.  Rybakov, Nunez, Nava and Johnson all lost their first sets.  Norrie won; Lopez still in a tiebreaker.  This doesn't appear to be our day.

Update: we're down 3-1 and teetering on the brink of a loss.  The one bright spot is that Cameron Norrie won his match.

Final: TCU loses 4-1.  The good news is that we made the semifinals; a good argument for being ranked in the Top 4.  But we couldn't pull off the huge win against #1 Virginia.  Maybe we'll get them later in the year, in less unfavorable circumstances.

Hope the team gets back to Ft. Worth safely. Very cold with snow followed by freezing rain starting tonight. Schools in the area have already cancelled classes for Monday.

Tonight's TCU-Northwestern matches are cancelled.  This is due to a freak "blizzard" we had last night and a bunch of flights got cancelled and the TCU team didn't make it to Evanston.  Which is a drag because I was gonna go and was looking forward to it.  It was weird - virtually no snow is on the ground because the temperature remained above 32 but for about 2 hours here (and a lot longer in NW Indiana), there was a lot of swirling blowing snow and very high winds and the weather people were going berserk.  Now, it's fine and almost warm enough to play outside.  But the TCU team is still in Ft. Worth, so it's not happening.

Yeah, well, that was the one chance I had to see the team.  Whatever.  The best Chicago-area viewing for TCU fans was when we were in C-USA, with DePaul and Marquette.  I saw soccer, women's basketball, men's basketball and tennis all the time.  Now, it's only if we play Northwestern and it doesn't snow.

The team did make it to #38 Wisconsin and Urbana, and got two W's.  That's the third time against the #11 Illini this season.  We're 8-2 overall, with losses only to Cal and #1 Virginia, but we've slipped to 8th in the rankings.  This weekend, we're off to Florida to play USF and UCF in Tampa and Orlando on consecutive days.

The Northwestern matches have been rescheduled for Ft. Worth on 3/22.