Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

Just went final: the women's team lose to Ohio State 4-0.  The men's team will play the winner of Harvard v. Oklahoma State tomorrow.

I wrote for the Skiff in 87 and 88. Interviewed Tut several times. Wacker, too. Both of them were gracious with their time. I admired both of those guys.

Right on.

As Feisty said, in a very exciting set of matches, the Frogs rallied to advance to the ITA Kickoff Nationals in Virginia next month by beating Oklahoma State today, 4-3.  Coach Roditi tweeted "oh man, what a win for the Frogs" after Lopez stormed back to win his match 7-6, 5-7, 6-3, earning the clinching point.  The Cowboys are the lowest ranked of the powerhouse Big12 in tennis, but they're still a very good team.  Who we will be hosting again once conference season begins.  The ITA Kickoff works kind of like a basketball preseason NIT, with 15 regionals of 4 teams turning into 15 (+defending champion and host Virginia) for the nationals.  I don't know seeding or our next opponent yet, but I'm sure it's available somewhere - I'll look. In any event, we're into the Sweet Sixteen. 

Other teams to have advanced are San Diego, North Carolina, UCLA, Texas Tech, South Florida, Texas A&M, USC and Illinois, but there are some others that haven't gone final yet.  I still can't find a bracket, so I'm guessing they'll re-seed after all the regionals are final.In any event, this is a good win for the Frogs and our early ability to overcome adversity and win in the clutch contrasts favorably with our basketball team's efforts in this regard.

I love the fact that we're talking more about tennis than about basketball

I don't understand any part of this post.

The sororities would list their dates in the Skiff for their crush dances. Had to check the paper to see if you got invited. 

I interviewed Pat Sullivan ... so, yeah

I wrote an editorial about him his first year.  He probably didn't want to meet me.  If I remember right, he took the players to the locker before the band played the alma mater, so we all stood there without the players at the end of the game.

Back to tennis,

Does anyone know of the guidelines for cameras at the tennis matches?  Are there tickets sold or open seating and if so, how early should I get to a match to get good seats.  Have not been to many TCU events (outside of football) in a long time.

Some of the results only went final today - the 16 qualifiers for the ITA National Indoor Championships are Virginia, Wake Forest, Columbia (who beat Stanford today), San Diego, North Carolina, Ohio State, UCLA, OU, Tech, USF, TCU, A&M, Baylor, Georgia, USC and Illinois.  That's almost a who's who of the current rankings.  No UT; no Virginia Tech.  The finals will be February 12 (all day), in Charlottesville - pairings to be announced.

But that's nearly 3 weeks away.  In the meantime, the Frogs are off this weekend, but play two neutral site matches down in Austin against #18 Stanford and #27 California on 2/6 and 2/7.

I'm pretty sure tennis matches are free, with open seating (and plenty thereof).  I'm somwhat sure cameras are allowed but I would recommend not doing a LOT of clicking right as the player is about to serve.  I'm thinking of going to see the Frogs play when they're up in Evanston against #25 Northwestern in a month or so.  That is highly dependent on how much snow is on the ground.

I wrote an editorial about him his first year.  He probably didn't want to meet me.  If I remember right, he took the players to the locker before the band played the alma mater, so we all stood there without the players at the end of the game.

You were on the Skiff?

Yes, that's what happened. Major scandal, no joke.

I'm pretty sure tennis matches are free, with open seating (and plenty thereof).  I'm somwhat sure cameras are allowed but I would recommend not doing a LOT of clicking right as the player is about to serve.  I'm thinking of going to see the Frogs play when they're up in Evanston against #25 Northwestern in a month or so.  That is highly dependent on how much snow is on the ground.

They were certainly free 20 years ago and probably still are

I've never been to a tennis match before.  Are they that quite at the serve?  I thought the TCU matches were fairly loud at times.

I've never been to a tennis match before.  Are they that quite at the serve?  I thought the TCU matches were fairly loud at times.

In college tennis, lots of matches happen at once, so it's never all that quiet

You were on the Skiff?

Yes, that's what happened. Major scandal, no joke.

No, I was not on the skiff.  It was a letter to the editor type thing.  I had front row tickets with a large group of other students every game and wrote a letter after the game.  Then got a bunch of other students to sign it with me. I helped create the major scandal about the team walking off early.  I believe there were dozens of letters, but since I knew the sports editor and got it in quick, they printed ours (152 signed it as well).

In college tennis, lots of matches happen at once, so it's never all that quiet

cool.

wonder about emailing someone in tennis to see if there is more info about what is allowed in and etiquette.

($#^(@*$(^@$)(*^(&$@)^(&*  my thought on people designing our computers and software that keeps messing up with incompatibilities and annoying nuances that make me retype my post because I get randomly backed out when typing.

cool.

wonder about emailing someone in tennis to see if there is more info about what is allowed in and etiquette.

($#^(@*$(^@$)(*^(&$@)^(&* my thought on people designing our computers and software that keeps messing up with incompatibilities and annoying nuances that make me retype my post because I get randomly backed out when typing.

That happens to me on my phone. It's infuriating.

I think you'd be fine just to go. It's not that big of a deal.

The new rankings are out and TCU is still #3.  The Top 10 are: (1) Virginia; (2) Oklahoma; (3) TCU; (4) Texas A&M; (5) Baylor; (6) Georgia; (7) Illinois; (8) (tie) Ohio State and USC; (10) North Carolina; (14) Tech; (25) Oklahoma State.  The only change in the top 10 was the Aggies passing Baylor - I can't decide whether it was inherent SEC bias or enough pollsters finally realizing what an incredible douche Baylor is.  (Maybe it had something to do with their performance...).

This week's rankings are out and the Frogs have moved up to be the #2 team in the nation, passing OU, who slipped to 5th after a loss.  The ranked Big12 teams are TCU (2), Baylor (4), OU (5), Tech (14), Oklahoma State (17) and Texas (26) and because those 6 are the only Big12 tennis teams, that means that the entire Big12 is in the Top 26.  Virginia remains #1.

We play #17 Stanford tomorrow and #24 California Sunday in Austin.  Next weekend is the conclusion of the ITA Indoors in Charlottesville.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This week's rankings are out and the Frogs have moved up to be the #2 team in the nation, passing OU, who slipped to 5th after a loss.  The ranked Big12 teams are TCU (2), Baylor (4), OU (5), Tech (14), Oklahoma State (17) and Texas (26) and because those 6 are the only Big12 tennis teams, that means that the entire Big12 is in the Top 26.  Virginia remains #1.

We play #17 Stanford tomorrow and #24 California Sunday in Austin.  Next weekend is the conclusion of the ITA Indoors in Charlottesville.

Good update, thanks. Go Frogs!

The Skiff used to call the tennis team netters and the basketball team cagers