Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

10 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

An English guy who won a first-round match at Wimbledon was ranked 755th. His career earnings were something like $40,000. 

It's funny to me how different the rules are for different NCAA sports. 

College players can only accept enough money to cover expenses.  So they really arent making any money.  

1 minute ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

College players can only accept enough money to cover expenses.  So they really arent making any money.  

I guess Cameron Norrie will have to figure out a way to claim $50,000 in expenses 

4 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I guess Cameron Norrie will have to figure out a way to claim $50,000 in expenses 

sex, drugs, and rock'n roll.

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 hours ago, weklfrog said:

sex, drugs, and rock'n roll.

I'm not sure if those "expenses" would count and if he tried to do that (#Manziel), it might not help his game.  These back-to-back tourney wins brings Norrie's all-time pro championships to 3 - all on the Futures circuit.  By pro standards though, neither of the draws at Tulsa and Wichita were strong and you really have to be ranked in the Top 250 or so to really be able to make a living in the pros.  He'll move up from #640 in the new ATP rankings when they come out, but probably not that far.  In any event, he's already told the Mexican Davis Cup Captain that he plans to return to TCU, so as of now, I'm pretty sure he'll be back, but you never know.  Cameron actually knows the U.K. player (Wilbon) who won the first round match at Wimbledon and tweeted his congrats.  Norrie was born in South Africa and grew up in New Zealand (and loves all things Kiwi) but he's considered to be British because I think his parents are U.K. diplomats.

1 hour ago, Jared said:

I'm not sure if those "expenses" would count and if he tried to do that (#Manziel), it might not help his game.  These back-to-back tourney wins brings Norrie's all-time pro championships to 3 - all on the Futures circuit.  By pro standards though, neither of the draws at Tulsa and Wichita were strong and you really have to be ranked in the Top 250 or so to really be able to make a living in the pros.  He'll move up from #640 in the new ATP rankings when they come out, but probably not that far.  In any event, he's already told the Mexican Davis Cup Captain that he plans to return to TCU, so as of now, I'm pretty sure he'll be back, but you never know.  Cameron actually knows the U.K. player (Wilbon) who won the first round match at Wimbledon and tweeted his congrats.  Norrie was born in South Africa and grew up in New Zealand (and loves all things Kiwi) but he's considered to be British because I think his parents are U.K. diplomats.

Wasn't the Wimbledon guy named Willis? He had to win five or six qualifying matches just to get into Wimbledon. 

TCU's Big12 rival OU (who are the two-time national runner-ups) just named their new tennis coach to replace John Roddick - he's Nick Crowell, who spent the last few years as an assistant at Florida State.  Crowell is from Amarillo and played in college at UT-Austin.  With the departures of Axel Alvarez Llamas and Andrew Harris, OU is in a rebuilding mode, but they're so good, it's likely to be reloading.

The crucial Peru v. Mexico Davis Cup match will be played July 15-17 in Lima.  This is the Group II semi-final - the winner will face the winner of El Salvador v. Venezuela in September in the finals.  The winner of that advances to Group I.  A lot of pressure is on the newly-installed Mexican Captain - Mexico leads the all-time series 4-3.  

TCU's Cameron Norrie won his 12th straight match and has qualified for the main draw at the $75,000 Winnipeg Challenger with a come-from-behind W over #362 Finn Tearney (Pepperdine '13).  Norrie, who's ATP ranking shot up to #422 with two straight titles, will face #214 Alex Sarkissian (Pepperdine '14) in the first round.  Norrie is as hot as Andy Murray, albeit at a lower level.

5 hours ago, Jared said:

TCU's Big12 rival OU (who are the two-time national runner-ups) just named their new tennis coach to replace John Roddick - he's Nick Crowell, who spent the last few years as an assistant at Florida State.  Crowell is from Amarillo and played in college at UT-Austin.  With the departures of Axel Alvarez Llamas and Andrew Harris, OU is in a rebuilding mode, but they're so good, it's likely to be reloading.

The crucial Peru v. Mexico Davis Cup match will be played July 15-17 in Lima.  This is the Group II semi-final - the winner will face the winner of El Salvador v. Venezuela in September in the finals.  The winner of that advances to Group I.  A lot of pressure is on the newly-installed Mexican Captain - Mexico leads the all-time series 4-3.  

TCU's Cameron Norrie won his 12th straight match and has qualified for the main draw at the $75,000 Winnipeg Challenger with a come-from-behind W over #362 Finn Tearney (Pepperdine '13).  Norrie, who's ATP ranking shot up to #422 with two straight titles, will face #214 Alex Sarkissian (Pepperdine '14) in the first round.  Norrie is as hot as Andy Murray, albeit at a lower level.

I think you have to get up to about 200 or so before you can really make any kind of living playing tennis. I had a friend in Paris who got close but never quite to that level. 

The first day was terrible for Mexico under Captain Roditi against Peru in the Davis Cup tie, losing both singles matches in straight sets and falling behind 2-0.  But they fought back today and took the doubles point and so Mexico now trails 2-1 going into tomorrow's final with two more singles matches.  But it doesn't look good because the same players will be playing as on Friday.  So, barring a huge turnaround, it looks like Coach Roditi's debut as a David Cup Captain is going to end in a loss.

Que lastima!  Peru beat Mexico today in their Davis Cup tie 3-1, with a victory by Mauricio Echazu over Lucas Gomez in straight sets.  Mexico was leading in the other singles match, so they could have won if Gomez pulled it out.  So, Roditi loses in his first Davis Cup as a Captain.  His deal was just for this match, so we don't know if he will continue in this role.

And Norrie lost in Winnipeg to Alexander Sarkissian in the round of 16.

Cameron Norrie is continuing his good summer - he qualified for the ATP Nordic Naturals Challenger Cal Open Tennis Championships in Apted, California and has now played his way into the semi-finals (tomorrow morning against Eric Quigley).  If he wins, he's likely to face #1 seeded Daniel Evans in the finals for a potential payday of $14,000.  He's now in the ATP Top 400 and seems likely to move up even more.

Alex Rybakov is also playing on the Futures Tour this summer.  At last weekend's Illinois Futures tourney in Decatur, Illinois, he won his first two qualifying matches, but lost in three sets in the third round, thus just missing the main draw. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Norrie won the semifinal match yesterday at the Cal Open but lost his finals match to top-seeded Daniel Evans  6-3, 6-4 today.  Evans is the #2 ranked player from Great Britain, second only to today's Olympics gold medal winner Andy Murray.  The projections for Norrie's ATP ranking, when they next come out, is all the way up to #305 in the world.  This is Norrie's best ever finish in a Challenger tourney; all of his better performances have been on the Futures Tour.  Obviously, this is gonna put pressure on him to decide whether to go pro full-time rather than return to TCU.  Both he and Rybakov are taking this fall off from TCU so as to compete on the pro circuit.  Somewhere around November or so, both will have to make up their minds.  In today's Startlegram, Coach Roditi said he would be supportive either way, but that he doesn't plan on adding any new players as of now.  If they both return, we're gonna be loaded.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Norrie jumped all the way up to an ATP ranking of 298 with the finals appearance in the Challenger tourney.  He's "merely" a college player, but he's the 298th best player in the world, including all pros.  Alex Rybakov is 687th; Felipe Escobar is 937th and Guillermo Nunez is 1385th.  Man, I hope they all come back in the Spring!

• Upvote (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Jared said:

Norrie jumped all the way up to an ATP ranking of 298 with the finals appearance in the Challenger tourney.  He's "merely" a college player, but he's the 298th best player in the world, including all pros.  Alex Rybakov is 687th; Felipe Escobar is 937th and Guillermo Nunez is 1385th.  Man, I hope they all come back in the Spring!

We could have a great team 

• Upvote (+1) 1