Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

Which is depressing to think about because you and I were, like, 14 years apart, and we both had the same experience with TCU sports as students.  Speaking of which, the Frogs are on ESPN against KU right now, but I ain't starting no game thread...(even though it's 15-15 now).

Thanks RadioShack for the results!  Congrats to both the men's and women's team for opening up with W's this "Spring."  For the men, the Frogs won 6 of the 8 singles matches and 2 of the four doubles matches.  Singles winners included Alex Rybakov, Guillermo Nunez, Jerry Lopez, Eduardo Nava, Reese Stalder and Hudson Blake.  Our #1 player (Cameron Norrie) lost in two close sets and Trey Daniel lost in 3 close sets.

Today, it's Mississippi State and the matches commenced at 9:00 a.m. (which, if it was me, would have meant a certain loss).  Tomorrow: Illinois.

The Skiff was/is cool but the name always seemed like daily mail service to a one-man lighthouse to me.

Back when I was in school, Tut Bartzen was the face of TCU sports because the tennis team was the only sport which we did well in .  Wish him well!

We had some pretty good track teams back in the day in the sprints and relays.  I believe we still hold the collegiate record in the 4x100 of 38.04 set in 1998

Did we? I think spring '94 was when I spent most of my time there. I was sports editor in fall '94 ... for about a week

Hmmmm... well, I started as a music reviewer in Fall '94 before becoming an "opinion" columnist

There is still a daily print version (I usually pick one up whenever I see one) but I can't remember if it actually says Skiff on it or not. I want to say no.

Hmmmm... well, I started as a music reviewer in Fall '94 before becoming an "opinion" columnist

I lasted a very short time in the fall of '94. Long story. Duq remembers.

Which is depressing to think about because you and I were, like, 14 years apart, and we both had the same experience with TCU sports as students. Speaking of which, the Frogs are on ESPN against KU right now, but I ain't starting no game thread...(even though it's 15-15 now).

My experience was better than yours but not by much. We had about 30 down years as a sports school.

I don't remember if for sure if it was 1995 or 1996, but the TCU women's team was about as bad as could have possibly been and the Tech women were pounding people. I was a radio major and spent most of my time either on-air or goofing off at KTCU. We were hanging around the studio listening to the TCU vs Tech game (because we were broadcasting it) and actively debating whether or not Tech would a) score 100 on us and b) beat us by 100.
I can't find the final right now, but it wasn't as bad as we thought. It was still a slaughter, but not as bad as we expected.

Now, the Lady Longhorns beat us at home in 1995 109-44 so...

I lasted a very short time in the fall of '94. Long story. Duq remembers.

This seems to ring a bell.... but I don't remember anything other than a vague memory of some sort of hubub my first couple of weeks there.

The Frogs beat Mississippi State today 8-4, taking all of the doubles matches and 4 of the 8 singles' matches.  The men's team is now 2-0 this "Spring," with victories over two ranked teams.  #7 Illinois is tomorrow (9:00 a.m.).  The women played well, but lost to Northwestern.  The women will play Alabama tomorrow - if it wasn't also at 9:00, I might have gone (it's next door in Evanston).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't remember if for sure if it was 1995 or 1996, but the TCU women's team was about as bad as could have possibly been and the Tech women were pounding people. I was a radio major and spent most of my time either on-air or goofing off at KTCU. We were hanging around the studio listening to the TCU vs Tech game (because we were broadcasting it) and actively debating whether or not Tech would a) score 100 on us and b) beat us by 100.

I can't find the final right now, but it wasn't as bad as we thought. It was still a slaughter, but not as bad as we expected.

Now, the Lady Longhorns beat us at home in 1995 109-44 so...

The Shell Robinson era

This seems to ring a bell.... but I don't remember anything other than a vague memory of some sort of hubub my first couple of weeks there.

There was a contretemps

Well, I can't find today's results yet from either Florida (men v. Illinois) or Illinois (women v. Alabama), so while we're waiting, here's a blogpost from collegetennis that previews our team pretty well: http://collegetennistoday.blogspot.com/2015/12/2016-season-preview-tcu-horned-frogs.html The main point, I guess, is Alex Rybakov, who was the top recruit in the nation and who will alternate #1 or #2 with Cameron Norrie.  In the Big12, there are only 6 teams (the Texas/Oklahoma schools), and all of them are good.  OU, a national finalist last year, is ranked #2, TCU #3 and Baylor #4 in the preseason.  All are undefeated so far this year.  Illinois, today's opponent, is #7.  I'm guessing that, if we want instantaneous results, I'm gonna have to join Facebook or Twitter, but I'm gonna try to avoid doing that for awhile - maybe one of you younglings could do that though.

When I was at TCU we decided to turn Skiff into a bad word. So we'd often say "Skiff you" or "That was Sniffing horrible."

Wild and crazy, we were.

Back in the late 1960s the Skiff ran a series of McAdams' cartoons called ``Our Fred" which lampooned Coach Fred Taylor and played a part in his demotion (Fred stayed on with TCU for some years in other non-athletic posts and despite everything there was no more loyal Frog than he). Can you imagine doing something like that to Coach Patterson? The cartoonist would be lynched, or worse.

Back in the '30's, there was an old Skiff Comic Magazine thing. I know I have a couple, but I boxed up most of my massive TCU memorabilia collection and I'm not sure where it is at the moment

The Frogs got a tie today, winning 6 matches and losing 6 matches against #6 Illinois; splitting the singles 4-4 and the doubles 2-2 in the "hidden dual match" format.  Guillermo Nunez got a victory over a ranked opponent and three other Frogs posted singles victories.  So, we're now 2-0-1 after the first weekend of the season.  Kind of disappointing, but Illinois is an excellent team.

Next up, the Frogs host a tourney next weekend against Harvard and SDSU.

When I was at TCU we decided to turn Skiff into a bad word. So we'd often say "Skiff you" or "That was Sniffing horrible."

Wild and crazy, we were.

Get Skiffed

Back in the late 1960s the Skiff ran a series of McAdams' cartoons called ``Our Fred" which lampooned Coach Fred Taylor and played a part in his demotion (Fred stayed on with TCU for some years in other non-athletic posts and despite everything there was no more loyal Frog than he). Can you imagine doing something like that to Coach Patterson? The cartoonist would be lynched, or worse.

But Taylor deserved it
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I wrote for the Skiff in 87 and 88. Interviewed Tut several times. Wacker, too. Both of them were gracious with their time. I admired both of those guys.

I wrote for the Skiff in 87 and 88. Interviewed Tut several times. Wacker, too. Both of them were gracious with their time. I admired both of those guys.

I interviewed Pat Sullivan ... so, yeah

The tennis season gets off with a bang this weekend with a 60-team men's and women's tournament that culminates in Virginia next month - the ITA Kickoff; featuring virtually all the top ranked teams across the country.  For the first time ever, TCU will host both both men's and women's brackets; in the women's side, Ohio State faces Pepperdine today followed by TCU v. Houston.  Tomorrow, the men play: Oklahoma State plays Harvard and TCU faces #27 SDSU.  Winners advance. 

The new rankings are also out; with virtually no change in the Top 10: (1) Virginia; (2) OU; (3) TCU; (4) Baylor; (7) Illinois.  Cameron Norrie is #4 in the individual rankings.  The women are ranked #22.

The men beat San Diego State today 4-0; the women are still playing - they fell behind Ohio State 3-0, but are (hopefully) rallying back.