Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

And Rybakov takes it!  6-4, 6-1.  The Frogs now lead 2-0!

And Norrie wins!  6-3; 6-4.  The Frogs now lead 3-0!  (Nunez is STILL in his first set tie-break).

And Nava fights back and wins his 2nd set (2-6; 6-4).  On to the third set there.  And Trevor Johnson is 6-6 and into his 2nd set tie-breaker. 

Aw man.  After all that, Nunez loses his first set 6-7.  We just need one more though.  If Johnson or Lopez can win their 2nd sets, it won't matter.

Trevor Johnson, the Captain, wins his 2nd set tie-breaker with a sweet backhand down the line, thus winning the match (6-1, 7-6) and the #2 Frogs sweep the #25 Mustangs 4-0!!  That's 25 straight home wins and 13 straight wins overall!  OOC play is over, and now we've got a really tough weekend, hosting Top 10 OU (on Friday) and Oklahoma State (on Sunday).

This one was closer than it'll look in the wrap-up, but it doesn't matter.  The Frogs have now won 6 straight against the Ponies and lead the all-time series 31-29.

Actually, they let play continue on and the Frogs won all the remaining matches for a 7-0 win. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Down goes SMU! We out country clubbed the country club.

Thanks for the updates, J 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I had to leave the baseball game early last night, and walked right past the SMU tennis team as they were loading into their van.  I didn't know the score of the match at the time, but felt comfortable that the Frogs had won because those guys did not seem like they were in a good mood.

Question for those of you more in tune with college tennis than myself:  How is the decision made to let some matches play all the way to 7, while some stop right when the winning team gets to 4?  Is it just the two coaches agreeing to play it out?

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I had to leave the baseball game early last night, and walked right past the SMU tennis team as they were loading into their van.  I didn't know the score of the match at the time, but felt comfortable that the Frogs had won because those guys did not seem like they were in a good mood.

Question for those of you more in tune with college tennis than myself:  How is the decision made to let some matches play all the way to 7, while some stop right when the winning team gets to 4?  Is it just the two coaches agreeing to play it out?

I think it's up to the coaches and they have three options: (1) finish out the remaining matches; (2) finish the matches, using abbreviated scoring (that's what happened last night - Nunez's 3rd set was actually a tie-breaker played to 10, but because Nava had already started the third set, they finished that one with regular scoring); or (3) terminate the remaining matches (in which case they don't count on the player's individual record).  Usually, they don't finish the remaining matches, but sometimes they do.  I guess it depends on how close they are, whether the coaches want their players to get more play in, how tired they may be, their travel schedules etc...  With a "friendly" like SMU, it's not that atypical to just play em out.

Roditi's quotes were that last night was a "great" performance, the best doubles we've played all year, that Nava's comeback showed a "lot of character" and that Trevor Johnson's close-out of his tie-breaker was "huge."

This weekend's matches against the Oklahoma teams are probably the biggest of the year so far.  We're already behind in the conference race (because other teams have played - Tech is 1-0; Baylor 1-1 and UT 0-1), so we really need performances like we had against the Stangs.  #1 North Carolina goes on to the road and will play Notre Dame (in South Bend) and BC (in Chestnut Hill) on Friday and Sunday too.

Coach David Roditi was elected to the ITA Board of Directors today for a 2-year term beginning July 1.  This will be an entirely new governing structure following the retirement of long-time Chairman and CEO David Benjamin last year.  The by-laws were amended and the new structure calls for a 17-member Board, including 6 active coaches.  There was a nominating committee and Roditi, along with the women's coaches at Western Michigan, Vanderbilt and Williams and the men's coaches at Florida and Tulsa were also elected.  Starting July, he will be a grand poobah, a muckity-muck, an establishment insider, a big wig and a power-that-be's in college tennis.  While a pro, he also served on the ATP Governing Council, so he has some experience with boring committee meetings (er, a crucial decision-making role). 

The ITA site is also really hyping tomorrow's TCU-OU match because it will be the first such meeting since the NCAA championship semi-final last year which they described as an "instant classic" and a "thriller" and which the Frogs barely lost (4-3).  TCU trails the all-time series against OU 11-9 and the Sooners have won 9 straight against the Frogs.  We definitely need some payback starting tomorrow.

In attendance news, the Frogs are competitive, but Georgia led in March, attracting 1010 fans for their big match against Ohio State (which they won).  The Frogs' highest attendance in March was 360 for the match against Tulsa.  It sure would help if we could draw a good crowd tomorrow because we're gonna need it.  The also-hot women's team will lead off the action against Baylor.

In other tennis news, a Western Australian family was playing with a tennis ball on a beach and suddenly discovered an extremely poisonous blue-ringed octopus hiding inside.  Film at 11:00. 

The OU tennis site is talking big about their Big 12 "dynasty" and crowing about how they're headed towards their 5th consecutive Big 12 title.  And the picture that they prominently feature is of Axel Alvarez clinching the match against TCU's Nick Chappell last June in the NCAA semis on the Baylor courts, with all sorts of obnoxious Sooner fans raising their arms in victory in the background. For those that don't remember that match, all three doubles sets went to tie-breaks, but we lost 2 of them.  Then, TCU rolled off 3 quick consecutive wins in the singles, but the Sooners won the other two and the match was squared at 3-3, with everything riding on the Alvarez-Chappell match.  Alvarez won the first set, but Chappell fought back and won the 2nd set and was leading 4-2 in the third set tie-breaker.  But then, the hated Alvarez won the next 5 consecutive points to win the breaker and the Sooners advanced to the finals.  And, in the regular season match in Norman, they beat us 4-1.  So, they're super-confident, arrogant and are expecting to win easily.

Alvarez returns and is currently ranked 36th in singles.  Alex Ghilea is ranked 51st and Spencer Papa 59th.  The Sooners are hot - they swept Wichita State and then went to Florida last week and beat Florida and USF; and then leapt up 9 spots in the rankings from 18th to 9th.

Remember, heckling is allowed!  And, indeed, encouraged.  If I were going, I'd be planning on riding Alvarez all day long!  Their Coach is John Roddick, the brother of Andy Roddick.  

2 hours ago, Jared said:

In attendance news, the Frogs are competitive, but Georgia led in March, attracting 1010 fans for their big match against Ohio State (which they won).  The Frogs' highest attendance in March was 360 for the match against Tulsa.  It sure would help if we could draw a good crowd tomorrow because we're gonna need it.  The also-hot women's team will lead off the action against Baylor. 

As in, the University of Georgia? The one with 35,000 students? Of course they had more fans in attendance!

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

As in, the University of Georgia? The one with 35,000 students? Of course they had more fans in attendance!

35,197 (in 2014).  Yeah, that Georgia, currently ranked #7.  Hey, I'm just trying to hype our attendance, build some Axel Alvarez hatred and get everyone up for tomorrow's big match - I'm not seriously comparing our attendance capability vis-a-vis Georgia (or anyone else). 

Didn't OU cheat big time in that tournament match? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Didn't OU cheat big time in that tournament match? 

I'm pretty sure there were some that alleged that that happened.  I was just following on the statcast, so I don't know personally.  (But now that you mention it, I think it was Axel Alvarez that did it!).  Man, I hate that guy!

4 minutes ago, Jared said:

I'm pretty sure there were some that alleged that that happened.  I was just following on the statcast, so I don't know personally.  (But now that you mention it, I think it was Axel Alvarez that did it!).  Man, I hate that guy!

I seem to remember a lot of talk about it, some of it seemingly credible 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The men may be delayed a bit before starting the key match against the Sooners because  the women are currently involved in a very tight set of matches with Baylor.  After losing the doubles point, it's currently 2-1 in favor of Baylor with 4 3-setters still out, of which the Frogs need 3 W's for the win.  We're currently leading 2, but trailing 2; about midway through all 4 3rd sets. 

And the women lose 2-4 despite the closeness of all the third sets; snapping our winning streak at 8 and falling back into a tie for the conference lead.  Losing to Baylor always stinks - let's hope the men can handle OU (which is just starting).  Our doubles line-up will be Stalder/Blake on Court 1, Johnson/Nunez on Court 2 and Norrie/Rybakov on Court 3.  

Check it out!!!  The Frogs blitz to the doubles point, with Stalder/Blake winning 6-0 (over the hateful Axel Alvarez!) and Johnson/Nunez win 6-1!  The Frogs now lead 1-0 in dominant fashion.  This is better than one could possibly imagine.  Singles just starting - hopefully, we'll be as hot as in the doubles.  The usual line-up for us - Norrie (facing the hateful Alvarez), Rybakov, Nunez, Nava, Lopez and Johnson.

Weak starts in 5 of 6 singles matches; all but Trevor Johnson trailing; and in 4 of the 5 that we're trailing, we're already down a break in each.  C'mon Frogs - get with it!

Now, Rybakov has rallied and taken a lead 4-3, Johnson still leads 5-3, but all the others trail, including Norrie, who's losing to Alvarez 2-5.  As things stand now, we're gonna lose.  It's just the first set for all, but I'm getting worried...

Yikes, Norrie and Nava have now lost their first sets and Lopez is about to lose his, but Nunez has rallied to a 4-3 lead, Johnson won his first set and Rybakov is 4-4 in the first. 

Whew, Nunez wins his first set 6-3, which is a good start for him because Spencer Papa is rated much higher.  But Rybakov is now 5-5 in his first set.  Nava's getting killed in his 2nd set, so that match looks like a loss and we're effectively 1-1; albeit not yet.  So, things still look dicey...

Things are getting depressing - Rybakov lost his lead in the first set and is now down a break 5-6.  Nava is down 1-6, 0-5 and almost certainly won;t come back from that.  Johnson is now trailing in his 2nd set 2-3.  We need to rally fairly quickly or this match might go south...

Nava loses his match - the score is now 1-1 and our great doubles performance has just been evened.  But Rybakov, still in his first set, is now into a breaker.  So, all is not lost yet, but it is very nerve-racking how close this is.

Yes!  Rybakov wins his first set tie-breaker 7-6.  So, we've each won three first sets.  But we're trailing in all of the 2nd sets so far.  Not looking good.

Ouch.  Lopez loses his match 2-6, 3-6 and the Frogs now trail 2-1.  And Norrie is about to lost to Alvarez.  Which means we need all three of the remaining matches to go our way and they currently stand: (1) Rybakov 7-6, 1-2; (2) Nunez 6-3, 4-4; and (3) Johnson 6-3, 5-5.  Yes, we won the first sets in all three, but to win all three will be tough.  Doable, but tough.

Norrie loses 2-6, 4-6 to Alvarez (sigh).  But Johnson wins 6-3, 7-5 (yay!).  So, it is now OU 3 TCU 2 and two matches remain.  In those, Nunez is 6-3, 5-6 and Rybakov is 7-6, 2-2.  We need both of them or we lose.  Go Guillermo and Alex - it's all up to you! 

Nunez loses his 2nd set 7-5.  So, it's on to the 3rd set for Guillermo.  Rybakov currently 7-6, 2-3.

The last two deciding matches now stand Nunez 6-3, 5-7, 2-1; and Rybakov 7-6, 4-3.  We have slim leads (on serve) in both.  Let's hope it stays that way.

Rybakov 7-6, 5-4.  But Nunez now down a break 2-3 in his 3rd set.  And Rybakov takes it 7-6; 6-4.  It is now tied again: TCU 3 and OU 3 and it all depends on Guillermo Nunez v. Spencer Papa.

And Nunez breaks back 3-3 - now.  Nunez is ranked 61st and Papa 59th.  It was supposed to be close and it is.  Go Nunez!

Nunez now up 4-3!  This one will decide it!  I have this weird feeling that it's gonna go to a tie-break.  But we'll see - all fans are now gathering around this court and, hopefully, they'll help Guillermo to the W!  It's nail-biting time for the Frogs.

4-4 now.

Now 4-5.  Confidence is low.

5-5 now.  Tie-break??

Woo hoo!  Nunez up 6-5!  Just one more!  Just 4 points!

6-6 now.  Into the breaker.  Tension is high.  Shades of last year.

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!   Nunez takes the third set (7-6) (7-3 in the breaker) and the #2 Frogs beat the #9 Sooners (4-3)!!  Our 25th straight home win!  Payback for last years' NCAA semis!  OU is tough.  But we won!  We're 19-2!  Tied for the Big 12 lead!  We've won 14 in a row!  We might be #1 next week!  What a clutch W for Nunez (the "Little Beast")!

Official attendance: 1287!  The fans really came out tonight!  Bigger than Georgia!

Oklahoma State next (on Sunday).

• Upvote (+1) 3

And, uh, #1 North Carolina lost 5-2 to Notre Dame tonight in South Bend.  If we can beat Oklahoma State on Sunday, the Frogs just might be #1 next week!  Twitter is going wild about the Frogs (if I knew how to link, the final winning point has been posted and shows the huge crowd - some fans are saying that it was the most exciting tennis match they've ever seen!)!  This is a really special team.

Twitter is going wild? Really? That is a big crowd, though, 1000-plus people at a college tennis match. 

• Upvote (+1) 1