Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Men's Tennis

As most of you are no doubt well aware, last year's TCU men's tennis team made the national semi-finals, losing to Oklahoma and finished ranked 4th by the ITA.  It was the Frogs' highest year-end ranking since 1996.  This year's squad, lead by David Roditi, could well be just as good - our ITA ranking is now #3 in the nation.  And we open up the spring season this weekend at the Three Oaks Shootout in Ft. Myers, Florida.  Today's matches started at noon and were against the #15 USF Bulls - I haven't been able to find the results yet (they have a twitter and facebook page, but I keep getting error messages on both, which is probably because I'm not a member of either of those new-fangled social media thangs that all the kids are raving about).  Tomorrow, we play #27 Mississippi State and Sunday we play #6 Illinois.  So, obviously, this is a huge weekend for us and will set the stage for the regular season. 

The first home match is next weekend (1/23-1/24) when we host Harvard, Oklahoma State and San Diego State in Ft. Worth.  If anyone can find today's results (Feisty???), it would be greatly appreciated.

Back in my day I used to work at the tennis center as a student worker. One of the best jobs I've ever had.

When was that? I covered the tennis team for the Skiff around '93 and '94.

Great to see TCU tennis back. Tut is really struggling these days but still gets out to the courts when he can, glad to see one of his best take over the program and do so well. Sarah would be proud.

Great to see TCU tennis back. Tut is really struggling these days but still gets out to the courts when he can, glad to see one of his best take over the program and do so well. Sarah would be proud.

He still plays? I've always really admired him

He still plays? I've always really admired him

He can barely walk but will himself out to the courts. I think Angela is still involved with TBarM and helps him a lot when she gets over to FW.

Then we worked on the Skiff together for a year

Did we? I think spring '94 was when I spent most of my time there. I was sports editor in fall '94 ... for about a week

I think it changed its name to TCU 360. Maybe that is just online.

Looks like there is a weekly print edition branded "the skiff x 360"

Screen-Shot-2016-01-13-at-7.11.28-PM.png

It's not in print four days a week anymore? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

It's not in print four days a week anymore? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm looking on the TCU360 page and it is not clear to me they don't have a daily version.

https://www.tcu360.com/category/tcu-daily-skiff/

TCU Daily Skiff

The TCU Daily Skiff, established in 1902, is the official student newspaper of Texas Christian University. The Skiff is published Tuesday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters. Printed copies can be picked up at newsstands all over campus and in off-campus businesses near the university. All content from the Skiff is posted on TCU 360.

I'm looking on the TCU360 page and it is not clear to me they don't have a daily version.

https://www.tcu360.com/category/tcu-daily-skiff/

TCU Daily Skiff

The TCU Daily Skiff, established in 1902, is the official student newspaper of Texas Christian University. The Skiff is published Tuesday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters. Printed copies can be picked up at newsstands all over campus and in off-campus businesses near the university. All content from the Skiff is posted on TCU 360.

Sounds as though it's still in print

Thanks RadioShack for the results!  Congrats to both the men's and women's team for opening up with W's this "Spring."  For the men, the Frogs won 6 of the 8 singles matches and 2 of the four doubles matches.  Singles winners included Alex Rybakov, Guillermo Nunez, Jerry Lopez, Eduardo Nava, Reese Stalder and Hudson Blake.  Our #1 player (Cameron Norrie) lost in two close sets and Trey Daniel lost in 3 close sets.

Today, it's Mississippi State and the matches commenced at 9:00 a.m. (which, if it was me, would have meant a certain loss).  Tomorrow: Illinois.

The Skiff was/is cool but the name always seemed like daily mail service to a one-man lighthouse to me.

Back when I was in school, Tut Bartzen was the face of TCU sports because the tennis team was the only sport which we did well in .  Wish him well!

Thanks RadioShack for the results! Congrats to both the men's and women's team for opening up with W's this "Spring." For the men, the Frogs won 6 of the 8 singles matches and 2 of the four doubles matches. Singles winners included Alex Rybakov, Guillermo Nunez, Jerry Lopez, Eduardo Nava, Reese Stalder and Hudson Blake. Our #1 player (Cameron Norrie) lost in two close sets and Trey Daniel lost in 3 close sets.

Today, it's Mississippi State and the matches commenced at 9:00 a.m. (which, if it was me, would have meant a certain loss). Tomorrow: Illinois.

The Skiff was/is cool but the name always seemed like daily mail service to a one-man lighthouse to me.

Back when I was in school, Tut Bartzen was the face of TCU sports because the tennis team was the only sport which we did well in . Wish him well!

That was the case with Tut for many years