Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Powerball

Anyone playing? I've literally never bought a lotto ticket in my life, but I figure with this payout. Why the heck not?

1.5 Billion with the lump sum being $900MM. So whats that? $450MM after taxes?

I'd buy killer frogs and shut it down.

It is the dumbest thing in the world, but I am participating under spousal pressure. 

It wouldn't be enough to buy an NBA team, but I could buy an NHL team. 

I'd start my own advertising agency and drink all day. 

Why bother with the agency? 

I like the idea of a near idiot proof asset working in my and my future generations' favor. How many bad pro sports owners ever really lost real money? 

I'd put most of it away after paying off my debt (student loans, cars, wedding). I'd probably also give a decent amount to my one employer to build a new building and set up an endowment for outreach. I'd most likely also move to a place that has more people than cows.

Why bother with the agency? 

I like the idea of a near idiot proof asset working in my and my future generations' favor. How many bad pro sports owners ever really lost real money? 

I can think of a few.   The Penguins have been bankrupt twice.

I'd put most of it away after paying off my debt (student loans, cars, wedding). I'd probably also give a decent amount to my one employer to build a new building and set up an endowment for outreach. I'd most likely also move to a place that has more people than cows.

A worthy thought, SFA.  I'd do something similar, myself, except I'd move to a place that has more horses, deer and antelope than people.  I don't buy lottery tickets, but I did write a poem about it...

Put it away? Just where do you put half a billion away?

I can think of a few.   The Penguins have been bankrupt twice.

Those weren't just bad owners. They were undercapitalized in a poorer sports marketplace. 

I'd like to buy the world a Coke. 

I was just at Race Trac and the line was 10 people deep.  Many of these people were obviously the 'never get outs'.  Pajama's, slippers, didn't know basic line etiquette, came in a van, driven by a man they do not know. 

Several others really looked like they were spending their last dollar. 

Sounds like Race Trak on most days. The refined and discriminating gas station shopper chooses QT.

Sounds like Race Trak on most days. The refined and discriminating gas station shopper chooses QT.

they have good apple fritters.

Put it away? Just where do you put half a billion away?

Those weren't just bad owners. They were undercapitalized in a poorer sports marketplace. 

The Cubs were bought out of bankruptcy.

Coyotes.

I knew that one, but 1) I couldnt remember the owner's name and 2) they also fit the goalpost moving narrative about poor marketplace and undercapitalized.

There's been several NHL teams.  Ottawa, Bruce McNall and the LA Kings, Tom Hicks and the Stars.

The Cubs were bought out of bankruptcy.

Part of a larger economic problem.

I knew that one, but 1) I couldnt remember the owner's name and 2) they also fit the goalpost moving narrative about poor marketplace and undercapitalized.

There's been several NHL teams.  Ottawa, Bruce McNall and the LA Kings, Tom Hicks and the Stars.

Overleveraged. There really is something to distinguish here. It isn't that the business is bad with most of these cases. It is about too much debt in general.

Half a billion could buy a small market team outright and leave about $300 million in the owner's pocket. You could run a small deficit for years and would most likely beat inflation. Franchise values have risen in all sports. 

Powerball was one of the weirder James Bond movies ...

That's what you get for buying bootleg vhs tapes outta the back of a Suzuki Samari

That's what you get for buying bootleg vhs tapes outta the back of a Suzuki Samari

Yeah, the copy of Harry Potter I got from him seemed a little off too ...

bb7.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1