Sign in to follow this  
FrogAbroad

My friendly neighborhood volcano

On 5/6/2017 at 6:39 PM, PurpleDawg said:

The drone video is incredible! I wonder how worried they were on the ground when stuff started flying out of the volcano and got so close to the drone?

Are those still pictures from your town, FA? I'd have been long gone already. 

How's that angry mountain doing today, FA?

6 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How's that angry mountain doing today, FA?

Still doin' its thing, PD, but more calmly than last week...

C_JQ_sXXkAAnv63.jpg

Yesterday the Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) in Washington, D.C., advised there were reports of increased volcanic ash.  For most of us that's more significant than an eruption of lava, since lava is relatively very limited in the area it impacts, while VA flies all over the place and closes airports. [I was once stranded for five days in Managua when the Pacaya Volcano erupted south of the Guatemala City airport.]  Another report states ...during the past days, another paroxysm (the 4th in 2017 so far) occurred. According to INSIVUMEH, it was one of the most energetic eruptive phases of the volcano in the past 5 years and classified as VEI 3 (vulcanian eruption) on the logarithmic volcanic explosivity scale. Its peak phase( 4-5 May) lasted approx. 24 hours, when near-continuous pulsating lava fountains generated multiple lava flows into the Las Lajas and Santa Teresa drainages, as well as multiple pyroclastic flows onto the SW, S and SE flanks.  As of now, the volcano has returned to mild to moderate intermittent strombolian activity (its typical state).

The "typical state" for Fuego is regular strombolian eruptions, which means lava flows are accented by large bubbles of gas rising to the surface and there popping, sending lava anywhere from a few to a hundred or so meters into the air. (Imagine a big pot of thick oatmeal cooking on the stove...with bubbles coming to the surface and spattering oatmeal all over...that's "strombolian oatmeal.")  Generally speaking, unless one is within a hundred yards or so of the Fuego crater, you are not likely to get spattered with lava or hot rocks...but it isn't impossible..a couple of years ago in 2010 a newsman doing a live report from Fuego Pacaya was hit and killed by a falling chunk of hardened lava. And of course when the liquid lava flows, it flows along the low spots just as rainfall would do.  So if you're in a low spot downstream, best to seek higher ground.

Edited by FrogAbroad
to correct my error of facts
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Beautiful photo ^. Do you have ash from it at your house?

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Beautiful photo ^. Do you have ash from it at your house?

Not anything significant at present, but there's always a bit of grit in the air.  "Significant" would be like the time we could hear the ash (which is more like black or gray sand) falling on the roof and the ground...a sound not too unlike sleet falling in North Texas.

• Upvote (+1) 1

17 hours ago, FrogAbroad said:

Not anything significant at present, but there's always a bit of grit in the air.  "Significant" would be like the time we could hear the ash (which is more like black or gray sand) falling on the roof and the ground...a sound not too unlike sleet falling in North Texas.

It sounds similar to living in Lubbock.

• Upvote (+1) 3

13 hours ago, tcudoc said:

It sounds similar to living in Lubbock.

This deserves accolades.  Already clicked on green arrow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, this time it wasn't the volcano, exactly, just a minor tremor.  Of course, if the wall of your house falls off I guess it's a bit more than "minor"...

Edit:  BTW, none of these photos are directely related to me...sorry for the confusion, PD...

Just now, PurpleDawg said:

Not your house?

No, not mine...those are photos from other parts of the area, the nearest about 20 miles to the west of my home.  I should have explained better in the OP.

Well, I guess the little 6.9 tremor loosened up some of that magma...an hour later Volcán Fuego is blowing off steam...and smoke, and ash, and...

3 hours ago, FrogAbroad said:

Well, this time it wasn't the volcano, exactly, just a minor tremor.  Of course, if the wall of your house falls off I guess it's a bit more than "minor"...

...suddenly, scaldingly, holdingly all nowhere gone and time absolutely still and they were both there, time having stopped and he felt the earth move out and away from under them.

After a little while, he asks, ''But did thee feel the earth move?'' and she says yes, ''And then the earth moved. The earth never moved before?'' He assures her it truly never before had for him

• Upvote (+1) 2

6.9 is nothing to scoff at. Could be the precursor to something larger, so keep your bug out gear handy...for Fuego or shaking. 

I saw some horrible photos from a Guatemalan friend on Facebook. Bodies in the ash. 

I've emailed FA. He still checks in with me from time to time. I'll report here if I hear from him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

From FrogAbroad just now...

"Hey, doing okay here...far enough away from the volcano (about 18-20 miles) that all we're got was some gritty ash yesterday. Life is pretty much normal for people in the capital, some banks, schools and government offices closed. Airport is open again so foreign relief workers and supplies can arrive. Some rural roads are still closed, one bridge is destroyed, small towns and villages are significantly covered in ash...one village essentially disappeared.  Rescue workers are out in the field, stopping only at sundown but out again at sunrise. This is the kind of event the country and the people are more or less accustomed to...Guatemalans aren't snowflakes, they take what life gives and deal with it."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

From FrogAbroad just now...

"Hey, doing okay here...far enough away from the volcano (about 18-20 miles) that all we're got was some gritty ash yesterday. Life is pretty much normal for people in the capital, some banks, schools and government offices closed. Airport is open again so foreign relief workers and supplies can arrive. Some rural roads are still closed, one bridge is destroyed, small towns and villages are significantly covered in ash...one village essentially disappeared.  Rescue workers are out in the field, stopping only at sundown but out again at sunrise. This is the kind of event the country and the people are more or less accustomed to...Guatemalans aren't snowflakes, they take what life gives and deal with it."

Thamks for the update.  Tell FA to not be a stranger.  He is missed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

+4

we need some more of his cowboy poetry!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

25 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

+4

we need some more of his cowboy poetry!! 

22 minutes ago, RedHill said:

THIS!   

+ ∞ !!!

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 6/4/2018 at 11:46 PM, angelosfrog said:

Agreed!

• Upvote (+1) 1

My neighborhood volcano isn't as neat to look at as FrogAbroad's and is mainly underground, but the rocks around it have been slipping and rumbling a lot lately. There have been seven quakes in my backyard between M2.5 and M3.5 over the past 24 hours. I lost count over the number of quakes that I felt since the start of the year, but we are some where in the neighborhood of 20 or so.

If it pops, y'all will know before me, because I will be vaporized and y'all will get to have a nice ice age and another Great Lake in the northwestern portion of the country.

Maybe The Big One won't be within the Ring of Fire after all. 

Keep us posted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 8/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Keep us posted.

Not counting the four sub-2.5's that don't get recorded, yesterday a 3.6. Tonight, a 4.1.

• Upvote (+1) 1