Sign in to follow this  
gofrogs152

Alamo Bowl - TCU vs Oregon

First post, and thanks for having me on your board. I'm very excited about UO playing TCU; it should be a great game.

Just for the record, John Canzano, the author of that article, is easily the most-hated columnist/sports radio host in Oregon among Duck fans. He gets paid to create controversy, and he's good at it. I wouldn't, however, assign his opinion to the majority of Duck fans. He's "Wrongzano" most of the time.

Oregon's offense may be the equal of TCU's, but its defense was atrocious early in the year, and has only improved to terrible of late. The only line I've seen is TCU -1, with O/U of 110. So I predict a defensive struggle. :D

Well thank you for the clarification, guess all teams have to have that 1 "journalist".

As others have said, welcome to the board!

First post, and thanks for having me on your board. I'm very excited about UO playing TCU; it should be a great game.

Just for the record, John Canzano, the author of that article, is easily the most-hated columnist/sports radio host in Oregon among Duck fans. He gets paid to create controversy, and he's good at it. I wouldn't, however, assign his opinion to the majority of Duck fans. He's "Wrongzano" most of the time.

Oregon's offense may be the equal of TCU's, but its defense was atrocious early in the year, and has only improved to terrible of late. The only line I've seen is TCU -1, with O/U of 110. So I predict a defensive struggle. :D

Welcome, Quack! Glad you're here!

Welcome to all Ducks fans and condolences for the passing of Steve Prefontaine.  Oregon fans who go to the game will surely enjoy San Antonio - one of the most enjoyable cities in the country.  Oregon-TCU is already being talked about as the most compelling bowl game this season - hopefully it'll be a shootout!

Didn't you say you were at the Oregon-TCU game in the '70s when one of our guys came off the bench to tackle an Oregon player? I think it was Oregon, anyway. 

Didn't you say you were at the Oregon-TCU game in the '70s when one of our guys came off the bench to tackle an Oregon player? I think it was Oregon, anyway. 

Yeah, I was there.  The Ducks were bad but we were worse and they jumped out to a 24-0 lead but we fought back furiously only to lose at the end (like usual).  I don't remember the play itself, but I do remember the aftermath, when everyone realized that it was a guy off the bench (I think it was Steve Barber) that tackled the Oregon guy.  Weirdly, it seemed to fire us up to play better... 

Yeah, I was there.  The Ducks were bad but we were worse and they jumped out to a 24-0 lead but we fought back furiously only to lose at the end (like usual).  I don't remember the play itself, but I do remember the aftermath, when everyone realized that it was a guy off the bench (I think it was Steve Barber) that tackled the Oregon guy.  Weirdly, it seemed to fire us up to play better... 

And Oregon was awarded the TD 

I was at that game too.  If my memory serves me, it was going to be a 100+ yd return.  Would have been the ESPN play of the day had ESPN been around back then.

Social media would have exploded! 

Letter bombs were popular in the 70s......

Letter Kills were popular in the '00s. Is FrogDoc even on here?

Welcome, Quack, from one PNWer to another. Although I'm a Texan through and through, I live in Portland right now. There are few of us TCU alumni here, but I'm the only one on our board. I'm happy you found us. 

This bowl matchup is something I've wanted since moving to Oregon in 2007. There will be a lot of broken Duck hearts after the Mighty Horned Frogs show up with our healthy team. Coach Helfrich has his work cut out for him coming up with a game plan to contain our D plus Boykin and Doctson. 

Looking forward to having you here while we prepare for game day!

I can't tell you how excited to be playing Oregon. Can't wait to see which uniform they will wear plus ours will be classic as well. Should be a fun game with lots of points. Hope everybody has a good time on the Riverwalk.

Welcome, Quack, from one PNWer to another. Although I'm a Texan through and through, I live in Portland right now. There are few of us TCU alumni here, but I'm the only one on our board. I'm happy you found us. 

This bowl matchup is something I've wanted since moving to Oregon in 2007. There will be a lot of broken Duck hearts after the Mighty Horned Frogs show up with our healthy team. Coach Helfrich has his work cut out for him coming up with a game plan to contain our D plus Boykin and Doctson. 

No doubt the Ducks will have their hands full, but I assume you've seen Vernon Adams and Royce Freeman play? Oregon won't be stopping Boykin and Doctson; that much is obvious. They'll have to make it a track meet to have a chance, I think.

In any case, after the losses to Utah and Wazzu, when Oregon stood with a 3-3 record, any bowl game seemed unlikely, so they've totally over-achieved during the past six or seven weeks. The Alamo Bowl is an outstanding accomplishment for Oregon, given those dark days of October. 

Meanwhile, your ex-MWC brethren couldn't be more disappointed to be back in Vegas and playing BYU, and I don't blame 'em. 

I feel bad for Utah, even though its a pretty compelling game. It would be like TCU getting paired against Boise State. As much as we respect Boise State, we'd be disappointed to be playing them yet again.

Yeah, I get it, too. Plus they're playing BYU again in September. But hey, all they had to do was beat Arizona.

No doubt the Ducks will have their hands full, but I assume you've seen Vernon Adams and Royce Freeman play? Oregon won't be stopping Boykin and Doctson; that much is obvious. They'll have to make it a track meet to have a chance, I think.

In any case, after the losses to Utah and Wazzu, when Oregon stood with a 3-3 record, any bowl game seemed unlikely, so they've totally over-achieved during the past six or seven weeks. The Alamo Bowl is an outstanding accomplishment for Oregon, given those dark days of October. 

Meanwhile, your ex-MWC brethren couldn't be more disappointed to be back in Vegas and playing BYU, and I don't blame 'em. 

Yeah, poor Boise. They're good people there. They don't deserve the leftovers they get in the MWC.

I have seen a little of your dynamic duo. They have helped the Ducks stay in the hunt this season, for sure. We'd be planning for a different bowl had Boykin and Doctson both stayed healthy, though. 

pd running smack!
  • Upvote (+1) 2

pd running smack!

Our kindest, gentlest member is picking fights with her neighbors. Go figure.

I wore my TCU rain gear all over town today and nobody said a thing to me about the game. Ducks are skeerd of Frawgs.

I wore my TCU rain gear all over town today and nobody said a thing to me about the game. Ducks are skeerd of Frawgs.

You should offer to take care of their dogs while they're gone to the game.  Easy way to build up your client base!

You should offer to take care of their dogs while they're gone to the game. Easy way to build up your client base!

I do have one client going to the game. However, they will be at their home in Palm Desert by then with their dog and will leave him with his sitter down there, darn it.

We'd be planning for a different bowl had Boykin and Doctson both stayed healthy, though. 

That's for sure. I could say the same regarding the injury to Adams against his old team in week one. In 20/20 hindsight, UO would likely be 11-1 if that hadn't happened.

That's for sure. I could say the same regarding the injury to Adams against his old team in week one. In 20/20 hindsight, UO would likely be 11-1 if that hadn't happened.

Yep. Y'all would at least be in the Rose Bowl again, which everyone here acknowledges is the best bowl in America.