PurpleDawg

Frog Pets

Here's the link for episode 2 of The Truth About Pet Cancer series. This one is all about the commercial pet food industry and the completely intolerable ways in which they are poisoning our pets with kibble diets.

Did you know that 40%-60% of the kibble in a dog food bag is carbohydrates, yet the FDA doesn't force the manufacturers to list that on the label? It's no wonder that 54% of dogs and 59% of cats are overweight in the US, according to the most recent figures. Were you also aware that the "meat" in kibble, whether it's beef, pork, poultry or whatever, can be from the Four D's...dead, dying, diseased, and disabled animals? So, if there's roadkill on the side of the road, that can go into the pile of animals destined for the renderer's plant with the sick animal who was given euthanasia drugs or antibiotics. Or, the cow that died in the field and laid there until the guy came by to pick up, will get transported across country to the renderer's plant in an unrefrigerated truck and will also get melted down into your dog's or cat's food. It's not only WalMart's Old Roy dog food or other low price pet foods that use these careless and unhealthy practices. It's Nutro, any Purina product, Beneful, Costco's dog and cat foods, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, and all the other top shelf brands of dog and cat foods.  Processed kibble is causing cancer because of the manufacturing process and ingredients it's made from. This stat should shock you: 50 years ago 1 in 100 dogs got cancer. Today the rate is 1 in 1.6 dogs and 1 in 3 cats. Yes, there can be allowances made for reporting, but back then we weren't feeding nothing but a steady diet of dried cereal to our pets and bombarding them with shots they don't need and RoundUp sprayed on everything they eat or smell. We are doing everything we can to ensure we cut short the lives of our precious pets, mostly unknowingly.

@RedHill your Mrs. needs to watch this!

A note about availability of the shows, it seems you have 24 hours to watch each episode until the next one becomes available. Don't miss this one. It was eye opening. Tomorrow's show is all about vaccinations. Another big stinker in my PD's Pet Peeves!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

But even the high quality pet food?

Absolutely. There is no "higher quality" kibble anymore. Watch that show and some of the other links I've posted in here about pet food and you'll be ill and angry at what's going into your dogs' bowl. Don't be fooled by the picture on the package. That pretty chicken or steak they show you there isn't in that crap in the bag. If there is some chicken in the food, it's skin and bones and so full of chemicals that it would probably glow in the dark.

Just do some research. I know you eat healthy because of your mom's influence. Do the same for your dogs and you'll avoid going to the vet's office as often as they age. Spend slightly more for a healthier diet and save money at the vet. Save even more money at the yearly checkup by refusing all the vaccinations they want to do. Your dogs don't need them. I'll say it again: You can tell your veterinarian NO!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

...Spend slightly more for a healthier diet...

I actually spend less on my cat's diet of meats than I was spending on cans of Fancy Feculence... er... Feast.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm offering FREE consultations to all TFH members about their dogs' diet and vaccinations. I'm not selling anything and there is no gotcha! involved. I'm just on a mission to educate. Although I'm not as knowledgeable about felines, I've helped one member return his kitty to being a carnivore and away from eating the crap from a bag or can. He reports she's acting like a kitten again and passed her recent checkup with flying colors. 

PM me or post here if you want to explore. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I actually spend less on my cat's diet of meats than I was spending on cans of Fancy Feculence... er... Feast.

Well, FF is owned by Purina, so the ingredients are garbage, literally. They take restaurant and human food industry waste (past date food from grocery stores, moldy produce, rancid meat, etc.) and melt it down into a paste and then add carbs to make it stick together to form clumps that look like pieces of meat. So, you were spending money on the garbage that was being thrown out because it wasn't fit to eat. Yum!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a system that is pretty much just as convenient as FF, too. After I go shopping, I chop her meals up into tiny pieces (otherwise she likes to throw pieces all over the house and play with it). I then stick daily portions into Mason jars. (I am very anti-Ziploc bags; petroleum products next to my food is not appealing to me, no matter how "safe" it is claimed they are, along with it generating far less environmental waste.) I then keep three days supply into the fridge, and the rest into the freezer. When I feed her out of one jar, I wash the jar, and pull another one out of the freezer and put it at the back of the line to be served in three days time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, you just have to develop a system that works for you. 

I don't feed raw, I cook for my dogs. Right now, their protein is chicken, so I'm buying two organic, free-range birds and cooking them separately in the slow cooker for about 13 hours. That makes the bones soft enough that the dogs can eat them without risk of breaking and being a problem. They need the calcium and the bone marrow is an awesome source of nutrients for them. Also, by cooking the meat so long, it becomes partially digested. Dogs have a much shorter digestive tract than we do and any help they can get to absorb more nutrients from their food, the better. Once the chicken is done, I mince it all up and add baked beef or chicken liver and hearts. Organs are vital to their diet. I freeze the meat mixture in containers of about four days' servings. (One day's serving is about 3.5oz per dog. I've got dachshunds, 12# each.) At feeding, I add steamed veggies... a selection of green leafy vegetables, squash, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever I've got in the fridge. I try to remember to "feed the rainbow" in a rotation. I also add a few supplements to make sure they've got everything on board they need. 

• Like (+1) 1

Holy cow, part 3 was really interesting! All about vaccinations and how they protect our pets and how the over use is so detrimental. It's been known since 1945 that one vaccination to a mature mammal (in dogs, that's 16 weeks old) will "infect" them for life. Infect means that's what teaches the immune system what the virus looks like and it will never forget. Further, regarding the adverse reaction to vaccinations, as I said before they started giving cats their shots in the limbs because when they did it in the scruff, they'd develop these nasty tumors which were really hard to eradicate. By doing it in the leg, they could just cut the limb off and the cancer went away. (:o) Once they started dissecting the tumors, they found remains of the vaccination inside them. What clearer indication that the vaccine was a direct cause of the tumor could you get?

This is the most important area where I tell my clients they have to stand up to their veterinarians for their pets and say NO to yearly, or even every three year, vaccines. When is the last time you got a diphtheria vaccination? Probably when you were about five years old. The same theory applies to dogs and cats. It is proven by multitudes of research that the shots they receive as puppies and kittens give them lifetime immunity. If you want to be sure of this, ask your vet to perform titer testing. It's a blood test which will check for antigens in the blood showing the degree to which your pet is protected from specific diseases. And, certainly NEVER give ANY vaccination to a sick animal...one with allergies, upset stomach, cancer, etc. Vaccines are a big money maker for your vet and the drug companies push out faulty information to them and to us as pet people. Again, do your research and do what's best for your pet.

Link to episode 3 of The Truth About Pet Cancer:

https://go2.thetruthaboutcancer.com/pet-docuseries/episode-3/?gl=5ac66b4c210d2a3c7329f456

• Like (+1) 1

One of my favorite FB accounts. This lady is incredible. You may have seen her on the Bissel commercials. She is a rescue lady and her whole pack has come through rescue. One of them she got when the baby was two days old. They live somewhere in southern Oregon and I love her and her weird dogs. The one in this video is Pearl, aka Dooders. She takes no crap from the big dogs and gives the BEST stink eye. Plus, she's very judgy. Always. Worth a follow if you like dog accounts. Her hashtags are really fun, too. Her old man Lucky will melt your heart. She's also on Insta https://www.instagram.com/roofusandkilo/?hl=en

Caption: My face when Moo decided to lick his entire body at 3 o'clock this morning #itwentonforhours #okminutesbutitfeltlikeforever #Moofusforsale #notreallybutomg #dogmomproblems

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Everyone please be extra kind to @PurpleDawg today.  The last of the Queen's Welsh corgis died yesterday ...

Willow died on Sunday, the last of the corgis directly descended from Susan, HM's dog that she was given by her parents when she was 18. It is indeed a very sad time for The Queen and all who loved that dog dynasty. The only dogs left to her now are two dorgis (dachshund/corgi cross) that were her mother's. :(

11 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Willow died on Sunday, the last of the corgis directly descended from Susan, HM's dog that she was given by her parents when she was 18. It is indeed a very sad time for The Queen and all who loved that dog dynasty. The only dogs left to her now are two dorgis (dachshund/corgi cross) that were her mother's. :(

Sorry for your loss PD

8 hours ago, RedHill said:

Sorry for your loss PD

Thank you, RH. I'm sorry for the Queen. 

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Thank you, RH. I'm sorry for the Queen. 

My wife has a twin sister but you could be her lost twin.   She loves animals the same way that you do.   We even keep zip lock bags of dog food and cat food in our cars in case she sees animals on the side of the road she'll be able to feed them.  I say nothing, I just let her do what makes her feel good  :)

29 minutes ago, RedHill said:

My wife has a twin sister but you could be her lost twin.   She loves animals the same way that you do.   We even keep zip lock bags of dog food and cat food in our cars in case she sees animals on the side of the road she'll be able to feed them.  I say nothing, I just let her do what makes her feel good  :)

lol. I do the same! However, here you very, very rarely see stray dogs or cats on the street. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a dog/cat without a person. But, Portland has a terrible homeless problem and a big part of the folks who are without a place to call home have dogs with them. The shelters have decided to allow the dogs in at night, which has gone a long way toward helping the people get services for themselves and their pet(s). When I see these people and their dogs on the street asking for help and I'm able to stop and give them something, I include a meal for the dog and a McDonald's gift card for the person. I think it would be rude to offer help to one but not the other.

Especially missing my beautiful girl today. It's been two years since she left and my heart is still just as broken. Always loved, Velvet. 💜

39915816340_52ce419dc6_n.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

At my local Farmers Market...

Too vegetarian for me!

hot-dogs-on-grill-Photoxpress_2387639.jp

Gotta have smoking dogs! (And kielbasa. And brats. And burgers. And fajitas. And now that I think about it, it is a good day to fire up the pit here...)

• Like (+1) 1

Those look soooo good! Just don't throw my weiners on there.

• Haha  (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Those look soooo good! Just don't throw my weiners on there.

I don’t want mine on there either.

• Haha  (+1) 1