Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

It’s 62 deg in Fort Worth right now.*

C13762B3FAF04D3B9B16.gif

*That’s 17 in Canadian dollars, Newf.

• Like (+1) 1

Ah...fall is coming and it should be okay when I get there next month. Good to hear.

I've been multi-temp unit since the late 60s when I started taking science courses at the college level. 

15C here tomorrow.

We have already had 2 snowfalls here. Didn't amount to anything sticking and both melted within 24 hours, but it was white crap falling down with a muddy mess after it had gone away.

It is 40°F right now.

I need to move back to a normal place that has 100°F weather on December 25th.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a bold move, but I guess they had to do something.

Hundreds of thousands of California homes and businesses started to lose electric power early Wednesday as part of an unprecedented effort by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to prevent wildfires, the utility said.

Nearly 800,000 northern and central California homes and businesses can expect to lose electricity for up to several days, starting on Wednesday, PG&E said.

... Gale-force winds are expected to last through midday Thursday, with gusts up to 70 miles per hour, PG&E said. Humidity is low, leaving the air extremely dry.

...Consequently, PG&E said on Tuesday it was extending a previously announced “public safety power shutoff” to 34 counties, more than half of all the counties in California. It’s the largest such precautionary outage the utility has undertaken to date.

Once power is turned off, it cannot be restored until the winds subside, allowing the utility to inspect equipment for damage and make any repairs, PG&E said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-wildfire-pg-e/california-power-cutoff-begin-as-wildfire-risks-rise-idUSKBN1WO13X?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

So I guess the implied thing there is that downed power lines are a significant cause of wildfires?  I guess I handn't heard that before.  The most comon causes I hear is lightning strikes, intentional arson, and unattended camp fires.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

So I guess the implied thing there is that downed power lines are a significant cause of wildfires?  I guess I handn't heard that before.  The most comon causes I hear is lightning strikes, intentional arson, and unattended camp fires.

I didn't read Rothbard's link yet, but it was found earlier this year that arching lines caused some of the recent huge deadly fires.

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I didn't read Rothbard's link yet, but it was found earlier this year that arching lines caused some of the recent huge deadly fires.

From your friendly science and tech Nazi: It's "arcing" lines, actually.  :P

• Thanks (+1) 1