Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

If you're a weather nerd like me, this is the best storm chaser website I've found. You can zoom in on the map to where the green dots are and click on them. That will bring up a window with that chaser's camera. Click on the arrow and you get a live feed from their dash cam. The orange dots are chasers who are out, but not online at that time. Once the weather really amps up, you'll get lots of green dots and you'll quickly be able to tell the experienced, professional chasers from the yahoos. I like Bob Pack and David Drummond, especially David. He's not chasing today, but he's always very informative during a chase and has a great FB page, too. Good luck to those in East Texas or with family there and further east into LA and MS. It looks like a bad weather day.

https://livestormchasing.com/map

• Upvote (+1) 1

Y'all be careful with the weather down there in FW/D today. Don't want a repeat of Mayfest '95.

Rebecca Miller (Harold Taft's former partner at channel 5) says get home before 8:00pm. She's meteorologist for SW Airlines in Dallas now, so I think she's hedging her bets with this storm.

57101554_10219324130163813_7489016959435

The mPing thing is really cool. It's an app that lets you report real-time weather to the NWS to help them monitor events as they are happening. Flip through the photos in the tweet to see it and how to get it.

10 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Y'all be careful with the weather down there in FW/D today. Don't want a repeat of Mayfest '95.

Cars are parked under cover, and the trailer is covered with cushions, secured by a tarp/tension straps.  Fingers crossed.

Looks like the biggest threat will be around midnight.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Cars are parked under cover, and the trailer is covered with cushions, secured by a tarp/tension straps.  Fingers crossed.

Looks like the biggest threat will be around midnight.

I heard people had started parking their cars under overpasses early this afternoon. That's probably not such a good idea.

34 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I heard people had started parking their cars under overpasses early this afternoon. That's probably not such a good idea.

Per Channel 5, covered parking at malls and even DFW airport are getting filled up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Per Channel 5, covered parking at malls and even DFW airport are getting filled up.

Just was watching a storm chaser up in Gainsville and he mentioned golf ball sized hail up there.

And there goes the Lupton lightning alarm at 9:50, just in time for local news.

7 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

And there goes the Lupton lightning alarm at 9:50, just in time for local news.

How did it go overnight? I turned off my computer about midnight your time, just when the heavier storms were about to hit it looked like.

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How did it go overnight? I turned off my computer about midnight your time, just when the heavier storms were about to hit it looked like.

A Big Bag of Nothing!

12 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

A Big Bag of Nothing!

Luckily for you. The poor folks up to the NW and W of you got some stuff.

I always want to ask the people who complain about the meteorologists being "wrong" about the weather if they'd rather not be warned there's a chance of large ice balls falling from the sky or lawn furniture blowing through the air. It might not have happened in their neighborhood, but the weather people are forecasting for a large chunk of real estate. If it didn't happen where you are, consider yourself fortunate. Or, next time don't listen to them and take a chance on your vehicles, property, and yourself being damaged. Being Texas weather in the spring, I know what I'd do.

Then, you add in the sensationalist weather people on TV whose managers tell them to really talk it up for ratings. You might have noticed that the NWS wasn't as freaked out about the widespread potential for hail as the TV people were going on about. Your weather yesterday morning determined a lot about what the storm later was going to be since you didn't see the sun until much later in the day, therefore not much heating happened. Had it been warmer for longer, the storm probably would have been worse in a larger area because the dryline could have moved closer to you. Pete Delkus on Channel8 had a good explanation of it on his Twitter.

Pete Delkus spent most of his weathercast last night explaining why it wasnt his fault he treated the impending weather as the next Biblical plague.  Mainly, he blamed the NWS.  

Frankie McDonald is more credible.  That is obvious.

Frankie is a legend here in Portland.

About 3” of rain the other night, but nothing else of note.

One GOOD result (other than the lack of costly hail damage) is that Mrs. Turk and I have a plan for protecting the trailer.  Cushions, a tarp, and ratchet straps should do the trick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

a plan for protecting the trailer.

Do you cover it when not in use anyway? Up here, people have to protect their RVs and travel trailers from the green slime that'll develop otherwise. Even the huge Class A's get a blanket.

16 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Do you cover it when not in use anyway? Up here, people have to protect their RVs and travel trailers from the green slime that'll develop otherwise. Even the huge Class A's get a blanket.

Wouldn't mold form under the blanket in the still air?

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Wouldn't mold form under the blanket in the still air?

Not as easily as without one. For example, my minivan has a scum of green at all the places where the windows meet the frame of the vehicle. I don't have covered parking at my home. Each spring, I've got to get a scrub brush and bucket of warm water and soap and get after all those spots if I don't want it to get caked on there when the sun starts warming up in the summer. Plus, it just looks so yucky. Also, you know those white vinyl fences that people use, rather than using wood and painting it white? Here they mostly have a green sheen to them unless the fence-tender gets out there with a power washer in the spring or summer and cleans them off. Oregon is beautiful, but high maintenance.

I'm glad somebody finally said it. 😆

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm glad somebody finally said it. 😆

I remember all us kids complaining bitterly to the lifeguards when they cleared us out of the pool in Nebraska when there was a tornado under a cell 5 or 10 miles away near the horizon. It never was going to come over our way! Stupid lifeguards!

43 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I remember all us kids complaining bitterly to the lifeguards when they cleared us out of the pool in Nebraska when there was a tornado under a cell 5 or 10 miles away near the horizon. It never was going to come over our way! Stupid lifeguards!

And I'm sure there was no lightning with the thunderstorm that was probably associated with that tornado, either.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

And I'm sure there was no lightning with the thunderstorm that was probably associated with that tornado, either.

It was blue sky over head!

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

It was blue sky over head!

I had a friend killed by lightening while working on a cotton farm when we were in high school.  Nothing but blue sky ovrthead.

26 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

I had a friend killed by lightening while working on a cotton farm when we were in high school.  Nothing but blue sky ovrthead.

Tell him, Zebra. Sneaker waves aren't a thing, either, Mr. Blue Skies.